ML Retro Spider-Man figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:44 pm

FPJonesIII wrote:The new Ben Reilly is tempting. I remember seeing that new sculpt and hoping they'd make a figure of Ben with it. Also skirts around my decision to only have one version of any character in my collection. I'd technically have two Spider-Man figures, but one would be Peter and the other Ben.
Honestly if you have to have one pair of spider people, then that’s a pretty good group. There’s just something about seeing two different (yet identical) Spider-Men in virtually the same costumes fighting side by side. Plus before there was Miles and Spider-Gwen, before spider-verse and Spider-Gheedon and before Superior Spider-Man there was just Ben and Peter teaming up together to take down the jackal and any other rogues gallery threat that happened to cross their path. These two were the OG’s of the Spider-Men set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FPJonesIII
Super Poseable

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:41 am

panther10 wrote:
FPJonesIII wrote:The new Ben Reilly is tempting. I remember seeing that new sculpt and hoping they'd make a figure of Ben with it. Also skirts around my decision to only have one version of any character in my collection. I'd technically have two Spider-Man figures, but one would be Peter and the other Ben.
Honestly if you have to have one pair of spider people, then that’s a pretty good group. There’s just something about seeing two different (yet identical) Spider-Men in virtually the same costumes fighting side by side. Plus before there was Miles and Spider-Gwen, before spider-verse and Spider-Gheedon and before Superior Spider-Man there was just Ben and Peter teaming up together to take down the jackal and any other rogues gallery threat that happened to cross their path. These two were the OG’s of the Spider-Men set.

The funny thing is that, if I do get this Ben, my two Spider-Men will be more different than similar. The Peter I have is the Ultimate version (specifically from the 2-pack with Vulture, because of the fixed pin color).
panther10

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:15 am

FPJonesIII wrote:
panther10 wrote:

The funny thing is that, if I do get this Ben, my two Spider-Men will be more different than similar. The Peter I have is the Ultimate version (specifically from the 2-pack with Vulture, because of the fixed pin color).
Oh haha. Yeah you should definitely ask around and see if you can snag a retro carded Peter Parker spidey first

ANewHopelessReviewer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:50 am

I’m a much bigger fan of Ben as Scarlet Spider, so his Spider-Man is a pretty easy pass. If they update his Scarlet Spider I would definitely get it.
FPJonesIII
Super Poseable

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:55 am

panther10 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:15 am
FPJonesIII wrote:
panther10 wrote:

Oh haha. Yeah you should definitely ask around and see if you can snag a retro carded Peter Parker spidey first

Honestly, I passed on that figure when it came out, so I'm not going to try and hunt it down now. If I was going to replace my Peter Parker Spider-Man figure now (I'm not, but just a "what if" scenario), I'd just go with the black suit version in this new wave.

I've got my Ultimate Spider-Man displayed as part of a group of Avengers where the other members are all 616 designs, so continuity isn't exactly important to my Marvel Legends collecting habits, lol.
Child_of_the_90's
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:02 am

ANewHopelessReviewer wrote:I’m a much bigger fan of Ben as Scarlet Spider, so his Spider-Man is a pretty easy pass. If they update his Scarlet Spider I would definitely get it.
I hope we see another classic Scarlet Spider. I wasn't doing legends when the first one came out and I started just after the retro one came out and I told myself I was only getting a few xmen. Now I have most spidetman figures, xmen, avengers, F4, etc. I would love a redo on this body, with the metallic red of the first one and the webshooters of the retro.

I think this Ben Riley will become Spider Carnage in my symbiote display if we get a new Scarlet Spider.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

panther10

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:49 am

Child_of_the_90's wrote:
ANewHopelessReviewer wrote:I’m a much bigger fan of Ben as Scarlet Spider, so his Spider-Man is a pretty easy pass. If they update his Scarlet Spider I would definitely get it.
I hope we see another classic Scarlet Spider. I wasn't doing legends when the first one came out and I started just after the retro one came out and I told myself I was only getting a few xmen. Now I have most spidetman figures, xmen, avengers, F4, etc. I would love a redo on this body, with the metallic red of the first one and the webshooters of the retro.

I think this Ben Riley will become Spider Carnage in my symbiote display if we get a new Scarlet Spider.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
You got that slightly mixed up. The first release didn’t have the metallic red, only the retro had that. The first release of the scarlet spider had the bright red and the smaller spider symbol on his chest/ back

iskopower
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:24 am

Got a notice from BBTS that Web-Man is about to process soon.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:16 am

We'll definitely get a new Scarlet Spider soon. It's one of the most popular Spider-Man looks.

Works for me, because I want one. It's one of the few stupid '90s things that I unabashedly love.
panther10

Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:56 am

I just hope that when the scarlet spider figure comes out, he’s on a retro version of the Overpower card back. They kind of fudged with the upcoming Ben Reilly spidey, and admittedly I am a little salty about this, because I was hoping that figure would be on a retro inspirered The Amazing Spider-Man “Special Collector Series” card back that prominently featured the Dan Jurgens artwork of Ben Reilly on the top of the packaging. I used to love that figure as a kid and I tried to scoop up as many variants of that figure that I could find. So yeah they need a mulligan on Scarlet Spider when it comes to the card back. I hope they give us the Overpower version that would be so cool.

Yarlick
Avengers Assemble

Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:17 am

This seems like the best place to ask...but...Seeing as the retro carded Spidey is super expensive, how could I get my hand on one?

I already have it but I can't find any of the accessories that came with it (and that's a first for me)
So...my Spidey is permanently locked in with the "twipping hands"...And the "Pizza Spidey" I have is a bootleg....soooooo...yeah...
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:18 am

Scarlet Spider-Man is favorite design in all of comics. Between Spider-Man Classics, Spider-Man Legends, & the Retro card, I own like 10. I would buy this figure on an updated body in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

blackcomicnerd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:38 am

My two Web-Head figures shipped from Amazon and will arrive tomorrow. I forgot I ordered them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:58 pm

panther10 wrote:
I just hope that when the scarlet spider figure comes out, he’s on a retro version of the Overpower card back. They kind of fudged with the upcoming Ben Reilly spidey, and admittedly I am a little salty about this, because I was hoping that figure would be on a retro inspirered The Amazing Spider-Man “Special Collector Series” card back that prominently featured the Dan Jurgens artwork of Ben Reilly on the top of the packaging. I used to love that figure as a kid and I tried to scoop up as many variants of that figure that I could find. So yeah they need a mulligan on Scarlet Spider when it comes to the card back. I hope they give us the Overpower version that would be so cool.

I think I only managed to find that single release figure as a kid. How many other times did they release it? I remember there was a Clone Saga multipack that I regret never finding. TRU in Canada in the 90s was pretty hit and miss. Plus you could only get there when driven at 12.
panther10

ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:18 pm

Enforcer wrote:
panther10 wrote:

I think I only managed to find that single release figure as a kid. How many other times did they release it? I remember there was a Clone Saga multipack that I regret never finding. TRU in Canada in the 90s was pretty hit and miss. Plus you could only get there when driven at 12.
There was technically a running change on the Ben Reilly Spider-Man figure when it came out as a single release. The first edition of the figure has a relatively thin spider symbol on the front and back of its torso and then the eye lenses on the mask matched Jurgens artwork on the card back. But 2-3 months down the road, the figure was given a makeover and had a bolder spider symbol and and a bagley-esque set of eyes on the mask.

From that point on there seemed to be even assortments of both figures available in toy stores and collector shops. There was also the aforementioned maximum clonage 8-pack variant that featured a really small set of eyes and a darker blue color scheme and a lesser known figure that featured the Ben Reilly Spider-Man deco on the Super Poseable/ multi jointer body that came with the Spider-Crawler vehicle.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”