ML Retro Spider-Man figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
VeganDiet
HULK SMASH!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:31 am

Yeah that was my thinking as well. Shouldn't be too difficult and will look very cool on a shelf
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 am

I bet Rhino at least comes with a head that looks like this one:

supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:20 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 am
I bet Rhino at least comes with a head that looks like this one:

The face you make when the sought after figure you just found at Target is “street date” locked at the register?
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:32 pm

I’ll buy a new Rhino (glad I sold mine off last year) but it will take a lot to get me to replace the ToyBiz version on my shelf. I think he might be the only TB figure left, but he’s so great. 4H nailed the classic look while still looking fine next to contemporary figures.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:34 pm

sepster wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:51 pm
I hope Spidey's wrist can fit through the hole.

Remove hand, insert wrist into head, plug in punchy hand = iconic Spider-Man vs Sandman.
Called it!
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Boy Wonder wrote:I’ll buy a new Rhino (glad I sold mine off last year) but it will take a lot to get me to replace the ToyBiz version on my shelf. I think he might be the only TB figure left, but he’s so great. 4H nailed the classic look while still looking fine next to contemporary figures.
Ball hips have been my metric fit replacing figures. It’s frustrating that there’s a few BAF molds that probably won’t get updated to replace them, so even though an old TB figure may have them, an update that isn’t ticking off all the boxes is underwhelming. Juggernaut and Rhino both fall under that. Abomination does too, but I’m guessing the Gamerverse one will be used for a new comic figure eventually.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:13 pm

I don't mind ball hips unless they've got the T or Y joints in them that restrict articulation. Those I hate with a burning passion. I'd take ball hips any day over those terrible new Omega Sentinel Y-hips they did for some inane reason.

Sometimes I wonder if Hasbro has some new guys in their engineering department who make old mistakes with the way they implement things. I've been wondering that for over a year with whatever it is they're thinking with these terrible too-deep dumbbell joints they're using so much now instead of neck hinges. I get that the dumbbell joint is superior aesthetically, and they SHOULD be superior functionally, too, but they're seating them so deeply that they're functionally inferior to neck hinges. I can't tell what the engineers are thinking about those.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Some of their design choices have definitely been head scratchers.

Ball hips don't bother me either, as long as they're done well. Like Juggernaut. Or Sauron. It's almost like pins for me. At some point I just stopped noticing them, as long as they're the right color. Which is why I paint mine when they need it. What I do notice is when they have the Y hips, or the barbell joint that makes the head barely poseable. Cause I try to get them in that iconic pose, or that deep stance, and they just can't. Limited by shitty joint execution.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

El Honez
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:05 pm

Boy Wonder wrote:
I’ll buy a new Rhino (glad I sold mine off last year) but it will take a lot to get me to replace the ToyBiz version on my shelf. I think he might be the only TB figure left, but he’s so great. 4H nailed the classic look while still looking fine next to contemporary figures.
Agree. The ToyBiz Rhino is perfect. Sure, it has ball hips, but you need those double knees for dynamic charging poses.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:18 pm

I am not a fan of the fleshtone on the Sandman. The BAF was too tan, but this one just looks pasty. Too light of skin color to me just makes the figure look like a bootleg. Bootlegs always seem to have trouble with a proper fleshtone.
GUTS_2010
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:24 pm

El Honez wrote:
Boy Wonder wrote:
Agree. The ToyBiz Rhino is perfect. Sure, it has ball hips, but you need those double knees for dynamic charging poses.
I love the ToyBiz Rhino. One of the few ToyBiz figures that still mostly holds up for me. I sold my BAF version a long time ago, but had some extra parts from purchasing multiple figures from the wave. ToyBiz Rhino at some point was knocked off the shelf and his horn was damaged. I chopped off his broken ones and put some from an extra BAF head on. If they do put out a retro Rhino and he's the same, I hope he gets a better classic head and maybe some swappable hands. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my moto g stylus (XT2115DL) using Tapatalk

Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:03 pm

We'll just see how Sandman looks in photos where the figure isn't washed out. I'm guessing the skin color will be similar to most other figures with flesh tone released once viewed in-hand. The packaged photos (which can be compared to other package photos for a baseline) would certainly support this.
StuartGreen83
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:59 pm

I can't wait to add Sandman to my collection. I hope this means we'll get a new Hydro-Man down the line that has normal arms. I'm also hoping that the "Marvel MVL Legends Octopus" is a Retro Doc Ock with bendable wire tentacles, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be either an 'Into the Spider-Verse' Doc Ock or a Alfred Molina version of Doc Ock.
VeganDiet
HULK SMASH!

Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:49 pm

Any Ock with bendable wires is one I'd be super super happy with, honestly.

If I had my drothers, it'd be the Armani Suit Ock with bendy wires, but I'd be over the moon with pretty much any of them
PSPS13
Super Poseable

Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:40 am

I might be wrong, but I remember us predominantly loving the first wave of these (only really recall Goblin's eyes being contentious and a desire for wall-crawling hands for Spidey) -
But suddenly the choices seem off for lots of us with this next set.
For me, the latest two feel all the more frustrating because they're so close to being perfect, based on what so many called for...
Sandman- great scale, but sub-par heads and underwhelming sand effects (both instances where the colour might be the worst offender responsible for disappointment),
Venom- great body/scale, but, again, incredibly devisive colour so it doesn't fit in with the rest of the line (obviously the unfilled port-holes are problematic, too, and the price seems incredibly mercenary, but we often put up with gouging when we're really pleased with the product)...
So-
What's happened here, then? I'm quite nervous about this line, now. Are they all gonna have controversial colour choices? Genuinely think the issues causing lots of concern would have been less widespread with a bit more consideration of colour (though obviously £35 for Venom's gonna turn a lot away, however perfect).
Black Series has really suffered with looking cheaper because of colour choice recently- is this a phenomenon to expect in Legends more, now?
If one person's responsible for overseeing the colour on these lines, I think they need a holiday.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”