ML Retro Spider-Man figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Dorlando_calrissian
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: ML Retro Spider-Man figures

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:11 am

Already preordered to complete my sinister six, but does anyone thing it’s weird his hole in his head isn’t where his actual head is when it’s not being punched? It’s like it grew a few inches to the side then he got punched. Does that make sense??
Scotch n Ciggs
CROM!

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:48 am

september_death wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:44 am
Have the replaced the shins from the body the 2-pack version uses? The cankles would probably justify replacing the one I already have
Yeah that and better ballet slippers would be great.

Don't think the rest could be improved on though.

But wouldn't mind a 90's armored Doc Ock like the one from the cartoon. Ditto cartoon design for Mary Jane. Throw in a spider-slayer as a deluxe figure. Heck could even make Smythe as a legendary rider.
Scotch n Ciggs
CROM!

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:58 am

Dorlando_calrissian wrote:
Already preordered to complete my sinister six, but does anyone thing it’s weird his hole in his head isn’t where his actual head is when it’s not being punched? It’s like it grew a few inches to the side then he got punched. Does that make sense??
It makes sense. they may have had to do the damage effect like that to account for the ball joint and swapping head sculpts out. I'm looking at it as having an angled exit/blast to his face.
Thevision57
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:50 am

StuartGreen83 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:30 am
I'm reading all of these quotes and comments and I'm still not quite sure what all the hate for the Retro Sandman figure is all about. He's got alternate heads, alternate sand weapon hands and he's smaller than the Build-A-Figure to fit in with the rest of the Retro fans like fans asked for. If you don't like the new Retro figure, don't buy it. That's perfectly fine.
I don't think anyone is hating on it. I just think most people feel its sort of mediocre. Its a figure that in theory should blow the build a figure out of the water since it addresses its size issues and has all of the accessories but there is just something off in the execution. I guess I feel like a lot of people were unsatisfied with the last so they really should have knocked it out of the park on the second try and we just got a figure that almost five years later is only a slight upgrade.
mattmurdog
CROM!

Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:15 am

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:26 pm
StjJames wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:56 pm
I’m really concerned about the future of Hasbro ML comic lines. Don’t know about others but for me, this Sandman is not Hasbro’s best work. It’s almost like the days of DCUC, when Mattel quality began to decline. First character selection then sculpt. Then sales decline and become the justification for more cost cutting which leads to the ML either becoming a lesser priority or canceled. We don’t the characters needed to complete our teams or our most wanted figures. Character selection is dwindling and people get tired of the same old A listers. C & D list characters peg warm as Hasbro becomes even more conservative. This year has only a few gem waves (Super Villains & Iron man) as compared with others (ML 80th. That was an awesome year for Hasbro). Hopefully future reveals will be more in line with MM 80.
I was just going to start a thread similar to what you just mentioned.

Imo they're cutting corners a lil more here n there and the price increase doesn't make it any more satisfying.

I would like to believe some of this is due in part to covid, and I'm sure it is in some ways but probably not as much as they'd have us believe.

There's inconsistencies with their sculpts that I would like to see addressed that have been there before covid. Specifically psylocke, look at x-23(maskless version) and psylocke. They look like they were sculpted by 2 different companies. Psylockes' face looks soft and x-23 looks... To be blunt, looks like it was sculpted by a professional.

In fact this sandman looks like it was sculpted by the same person who did psylocke. If it is the same person they should find something else for that person to do.
Harsh but I agree. There's are a few stand out sculptors that have really made ML great and a few nameless probably in house sculpts that need to up their craft. I am hoping Psylocke gets a complete redo one of these days.
SmF3
CROM!

Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:08 am

Even as a complementary piece this is a bit disappointing compared to the BAF. Luckily the BAF's hips are hidden in my display but I just love the head too much, the new retro one not so much. I'm assuming he'll go on sale for black friday, maybe I'll pick him up for a separate display then.
maczero
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:04 pm

Dorlando_calrissian wrote:
I imagine it's more like someone punched him and that the sand is reshaping around their arm as they try to pull away.
100ptsofarticulation
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:07 pm

mattmurdog wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:15 am
100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:26 pm
StjJames wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:56 pm
I’m really concerned about the future of Hasbro ML comic lines. Don’t know about others but for me, this Sandman is not Hasbro’s best work. It’s almost like the days of DCUC, when Mattel quality began to decline. First character selection then sculpt. Then sales decline and become the justification for more cost cutting which leads to the ML either becoming a lesser priority or canceled. We don’t the characters needed to complete our teams or our most wanted figures. Character selection is dwindling and people get tired of the same old A listers. C & D list characters peg warm as Hasbro becomes even more conservative. This year has only a few gem waves (Super Villains & Iron man) as compared with others (ML 80th. That was an awesome year for Hasbro). Hopefully future reveals will be more in line with MM 80.
I was just going to start a thread similar to what you just mentioned.

Imo they're cutting corners a lil more here n there and the price increase doesn't make it any more satisfying.

I would like to believe some of this is due in part to covid, and I'm sure it is in some ways but probably not as much as they'd have us believe.

There's inconsistencies with their sculpts that I would like to see addressed that have been there before covid. Specifically psylocke, look at x-23(maskless version) and psylocke. They look like they were sculpted by 2 different companies. Psylockes' face looks soft and x-23 looks... To be blunt, looks like it was sculpted by a professional.

In fact this sandman looks like it was sculpted by the same person who did psylocke. If it is the same person they should find something else for that person to do.
Harsh but I agree. There's are a few stand out sculptors that have really made ML great and a few nameless probably in house sculpts that need to up their craft. I am hoping Psylocke gets a complete redo one of these days.
These are harsh times! No seriously though some of these face sculpts look like they're MU quality.

And I'm not bashing MU, what I mean is at that scale some sculpts aren't as intricate as they are at a bigger scale. That's all I'm saying, I know we live in a society now where we've forgotten not everyone is going to be happy because we're all different - this whole "life" thing is hard.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:15 pm

I don’t think they’re that soft, but we’re definitely seeing a frustrating variety in faces from stuff like the 80th figures and even gamerverse, where it looks like they’re printed, to stuff like Sandman. It’s another area we’re Joe’s are a huge step forward.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:22 pm

Retro wave Sandman looks very cool. Happy to get him for a classic style Sandman. And the hips are nicer.

I still love the BAF, too. Sandman’s powers are so dynamic. It’s nice to be able to represent him in multiple ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:35 pm

Ryan Ting’s photos are not gonna sell it. Ryan is awesome but clearly lacks some photog skills. Everyone will be whistling a different tune once people have it in hand and guys like crackhead or darth primus start taking pictures of it.
Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:21 pm

I'm just using the Select Sandman, for my Sandman.
MarvelLegendsMan
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:25 pm

Basil Elks wrote:I'm just using the Select Sandman, for my Sandman.
By any chance, do you know if the battle-damaged head from the BAF can work with the Select?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:26 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:25 pm
Basil Elks wrote:I'm just using the Select Sandman, for my Sandman.
By any chance, do you know if the battle-damaged head from the BAF can work with the Select?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I dunno, I don't have the heads. I'd like to know, too.
RAM
Customized

Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:12 pm

I like this one in more ways than I do the baf. Size is better; Shirt is better; hips better; option to pose w/o sand effects is there. This wasn’t a character that I needed to put the baf to shame. I just wanted a classic, lesser Sandman. Not crazy about the alt head but I look forward to seeing what all the creative collectors come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”