MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:07 pm

pr1983 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:02 am
Is the only real difference between the new legends one and the previous modular one the paint job nd the accessories? Is it the same basic figure otherwise?
You get an extra set of hands, the Tony head, and the animated head, but also one more difference:

The chest reactor is sunken in to handle a special effect plugging in.

I prefer the original as cool as the gun is.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:37 pm

I also noticed the lenses in the eyes of the cartoon Modular armor are blue but shouldn’t they have been red or black depending on the source material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:18 pm

AddictBraids wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:10 pm
The Mafex Iron Man is everything I'd hoped it would be. Definitely the definitive "classic" Iron Man, and he comes with a boat load of accessories. At the moment, Mafex Iron Man and Azrael are probably my current figures of the year.

I will say though, putting this Mafex Iron Man next to the ML 80th Iron Man really made me realize how great the ML 80th version is too. I definitely still think the Mafex version is the better overall product, but I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing the ML version over the Mafex version strictly because of the price difference. It doesn't happen often, but I can truly say that ML 80th line Iron Man is phenomenal especially for the price.

I'd still say the Mafex is better, but the margin isn't as wide as I thought it would be...

I didn't buy the MAFEX Iron Man for that exact reason. That and the fact that I prefer the Extremis armor.

To pretend that the MAFEX version is automatically inferior because it's more expensive and has a smaller cannon is not intellectually honest.
TheeCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:18 pm

Akat - love reading early thoughts from others here so always willing to share, especially for our Mafex fans.

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
TheeCollector wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:28 pm
-The roller skates are a pretty cool addition. Not something I would use.

What roller skates? Why would Iron Man use roller skates? :?
Good question -Jet-assisted roller wheels sounds better!
AddictBraids wrote:The Mafex Iron Man is everything I'd hoped it would be. Definitely the definitive "classic" Iron Man, and he comes with a boat load of accessories. At the moment, Mafex Iron Man and Azrael are probably my current figures of the year.

I will say though, putting this Mafex Iron Man next to the ML 80th Iron Man really made me realize how great the ML 80th version is too. I definitely still think the Mafex version is the better overall product, but I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing the ML version over the Mafex version strictly because of the price difference. It doesn't happen often, but I can truly say that ML 80th line Iron Man is phenomenal especially for the price.

I'd still say the Mafex is better, but the margin isn't as wide as I thought it would be...
Well said. It’s a testament to how great the ML IM is, similar to Wolverine. But the Mafex is better to me, both in overall package and articulation.

His head consistently pops around when you articulate the arms. It’s looser than it should be and the added impedance from the butterfly swivels makes you more careful than you normally would be.
Mannie_Bothans
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:22 am

AmiAmi is taking forever to ship. I paid within minutes of receiving the payment request and it still hasn't moved. They've never been this slow for me. That Iron Man got me counting the seconds in anticipation.
Grins
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:29 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Spoiler! :
AddictBraids wrote:
The Mafex Iron Man is everything I'd hoped it would be. Definitely the definitive "classic" Iron Man, and he comes with a boat load of accessories. At the moment, Mafex Iron Man and Azrael are probably my current figures of the year.

I didn't buy the MAFEX Iron Man for that exact reason. That and the fact that I prefer the Extremis armor.
To pretend that the MAFEX version is automatically inferior because it's more expensive and has a smaller cannon is not intellectually honest.
I had to read this exchange several times because I thought I was missing something. How did you come to this conclusion?
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:49 am

Grins wrote:
TheSameIdiot wrote:
Spoiler! :
AddictBraids wrote:

I had to read this exchange several times because I thought I was missing something. How did you come to this conclusion?

Sorry, I was talking about Boog's feelings about the new MAFEX Iron Man.
Demjot
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:11 am

I've had 2 figures on that 80th Iron Man body snap at the thigh swivel with minimal use, so I figured I'd be in for the mafex. I'm a sucker for the butterfly joints and double dumbbell torso too.
AddictBraids
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:41 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:49 am
Grins wrote:
TheSameIdiot wrote:
Spoiler! :

Sorry, I was talking about Boog's feelings about the new MAFEX Iron Man.
Normally Mafex blows away its ML counterpart...Mafex Gambit vs ML Gambit, Mafex Brown Wolverine vs ML Brown Wolverine, Mafex Spiderman(s) vs ML Spidermans... all of those Mafex figures are leaps and bounds better than their MLs versions...with this Mafex Iron Man, it's still the better product and amazing in its own right, but I'm shocked at how well Hasbro did with that 80th line ML Iron Man. It's more about how good that ML Iron Man is for its price than it is a knock on the Mafex Iron Man. I'd honestly give the Mafex Iron Man a 10/10 or damn near, but that 80th Line Iron Man is like a 8.5/10 for a lot cheaper... so I could understand where some people might pass on the Mafex version just because Hasbro actually did a pretty good job for a much smaller price... But don't get it twisted, the Mafex Iron Man is still the King...
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:56 pm

I still think AI Iron Man's finish looks like a a premium product. I passed on him the first time in store, I had to go back and get him a day later, which is something I usually don't do.
TacoBelmont
Super Poseable

Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:45 pm

I just got my Iron Man from AmiAmi and I have to concur with the general sentiment of the thread. I will say that my opinion on this Iron Man is less about the quality of the figure and more about how good the ML offerings are. It is maybe a touch small scaling with Legends, but it isn't a big enough difference to not put him in with your Avengers Legends figures. I wouldn't blame anyone who decided to stick with their 80th, even if the Mafex is still overall the superior product.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:36 pm

Got Classic Iron Man from Amiami today. Looks fantastic in package. I won’t have a chance to open it until tomorrow, but it looks really nice. Happy to add this one to my Legends Armory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:02 pm

Does this Iron Man have some serious butterfly joints or what? Oh my!
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:17 pm

Boog's opinion on MAFEX figures is irrelevant. He should stick to his raffles on Instagram rather than try to criticize something.

You can't really compare Classic to Modular. These are two completely different armors. I will say though, I really like Classic IM from Hasbro, it's a great figure. If they re-release that "A.I." IM with normal arc reactor and pinless joints, it would probable be just as good as MAFEX version.
johnchow604
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:38 pm

I got the Mafex Iron Man yesterday and it looks like it stepped out of a 1979-early 80's, Bob Layton/JR jr comic, especially with the eyes being shown in the mask, and the paint. Also, the face sculpt is a better match to that era than the ML one, with the eye slits positioned lower - I've always thought the 80th ML ones eyes are too high.

I'm a big fan of that era of Iron Man so the price is worth it to me. But for those that don't care about that armor, I can see how the AI Iron Man is good enough.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”