MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
AddictBraids
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:41 am

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:27 pm

I should also add, not to be a Debbie downer or anything, but don't get your hopes too high for this potential "restock" on Wolverine and Psylocke, because there seems to be some confusion on if this is an actual "restock" or if maybe Hobbysearch just "stumbled" across a box in their warehouse recently and put that one case back up and it already sold out.
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 10523
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:24 pm

AddictBraids wrote:I should also add, not to be a Debbie downer or anything, but don't get your hopes too high for this potential "restock" on Wolverine and Psylocke, because there seems to be some confusion on if this is an actual "restock" or if maybe Hobbysearch just "stumbled" across a box in their warehouse recently and put that one case back up and it already sold out.
In some smaller capacity I think Hobby search also sells used/refurbished figures. Maybe not as much as stores like Mandarake as they make most of their income from new figures. But I think at times they will get back old stock and sell that. It could be the case that this wolverine and Psylocke came from one such source.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yorick_skirata
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:44 am

MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:21 pm

panther10 wrote: In some smaller capacity I think Hobby search also sells used/refurbished figures.
Are you sure about that information? I would hate to receive a used/refurbished item without knowing.

From what I read, in Japan, the store are usually quite transparent about this kind of thing. Seems to be a cultural thing.
Even if a figure is absolutely new, if the seal is broken, it’s considered used (at least with Solaris and Amiami, as far as I understood).

I never heard of refurbished figures, it doesn’t seem worth the hassle of an individual fix. The labour hour per figure wouldn’t compensate the odd defective product. That’s why refurbishment is usually done with expensive products and why the stores don’t ask you to ship a defective figure back.

From what I read, it is common for this stores that sell “new” older figures to buy at discounted prices from smaller businesses that can’t keep the product in storage for a long time (storage is expensive in Japan). And sometimes they also buy from “in-box” collectors.

Someone told me it’s a whole “ecosystem”, large stores sell figures at good prices and the product is sold out. Small stores sell the same product at a higher price, and a lot of people that missed out end up buying from them. Afterwards, when the product stop selling at the higher price, they sell the rest of their products in bulk, to the big stores, to avoid the need of bigger warehouses.

The odd missed box in warehouse is also common and it’s specially probable if many different older items are restocked at once (most businesses do a periodical inventory count/audit).

Also, some manufacturers keep a small stock of released products to replace defective items. It’s a good customer service practice. After a while, they release said stock to their bigger partners.

Anyway, I’d love to know if refurbish figures are common and under what circumstances. I really enjoy learning more about the industry.
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 10523
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:11 am

yorick_skirata wrote:
panther10 wrote: In some smaller capacity I think Hobby search also sells used/refurbished figures.
Are you sure about that information? I would hate to receive a used/refurbished item without knowing.

From what I read, in Japan, the store are usually quite transparent about this kind of thing. Seems to be a cultural thing.
Even if a figure is absolutely new, if the seal is broken, it’s considered used (at least with Solaris and Amiami, as far as I understood).

I never heard of refurbished figures, it doesn’t seem worth the hassle of an individual fix. The labour hour per figure wouldn’t compensate the odd defective product. That’s why refurbishment is usually done with expensive products and why the stores don’t ask you to ship a defective figure back.

From what I read, it is common for this stores that sell “new” older figures to buy at discounted prices from smaller businesses that can’t keep the product in storage for a long time (storage is expensive in Japan). And sometimes they also buy from “in-box” collectors.

Someone told me it’s a whole “ecosystem”, large stores sell figures at good prices and the product is sold out. Small stores sell the same product at a higher price, and a lot of people that missed out end up buying from them. Afterwards, when the product stop selling at the higher price, they sell the rest of their products in bulk, to the big stores, to avoid the need of bigger warehouses.

The odd missed box in warehouse is also common and it’s specially probable if many different older items are restocked at once (most businesses do a periodical inventory count/audit).

Also, some manufacturers keep a small stock of released products to replace defective items. It’s a good customer service practice. After a while, they release said stock to their bigger partners.

Anyway, I’d love to know if refurbish figures are common and under what circumstances. I really enjoy learning more about the industry.
Well I’m not talking about refurbishment in the strictest of definitions (for instance a store like Mandarake will not go out of their way to fix a broken joint or a significant amount of paint wear on a figure before reselling it) that’s not what happens at all. But if they were to receive a vinyl figure that had a significant accumulation of dust or an odd odor because it had been siting in the trunk of someone’s attic for too long, the staff members at the store would clean it first and then just sell it at whatever price they thought they could get for it based on its rarity and the condition they got that particular item in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yorick_skirata
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:44 am

MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:06 am

panther10 wrote: Well I’m not talking about refurbishment in the strictest of definitions (for instance a store like Mandarake will not go out of their way to fix a broken joint or a significant amount of paint wear on a figure before reselling it) that’s not what happens at all. But if they were to receive a vinyl figure that had a significant accumulation of dust or an odd odor because it had been siting in the trunk of someone’s attic for too long, the staff members at the store would clean it first and then just sell it at whatever price they thought they could get for it based on its rarity and the condition they got that particular item in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see.

That I believe is the procedure with amiami and Solaris as well, but they would be marked as pre-owned.

Do you think mandarake and hobbysearch would do that and announce it as new? Or any other store that has done something like that?

I only bought from hobbysearch once, the Hush Superman reissue.

But I would definitely avoid somewhere that does this practices. Thanks for any info into the subject.
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 10523
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:10 am

yorick_skirata wrote:
panther10 wrote: Well I’m not talking about refurbishment in the strictest of definitions (for instance a store like Mandarake will not go out of their way to fix a broken joint or a significant amount of paint wear on a figure before reselling it) that’s not what happens at all. But if they were to receive a vinyl figure that had a significant accumulation of dust or an odd odor because it had been siting in the trunk of someone’s attic for too long, the staff members at the store would clean it first and then just sell it at whatever price they thought they could get for it based on its rarity and the condition they got that particular item in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see.

That I believe is the procedure with amiami and Solaris as well, but they would be marked as pre-owned.

Do you think mandarake and hobbysearch would do that and announce it as new?

I only bought from hobbysearch once, the Hush Superman reissue. Or any other store that has done something like that?

But I would definitely avoid somewhere that does this practices. Thanks for any info into the subject.
No I don’t think it would be listed as new on hobby search. That feels duplicitous to me. But it might be listed as reserve stock indicating that it’s not fresh off the truck and could be preowned as it’s origin is somewhat ambiguous.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:37 pm

Got my email from AmiAmi asking me to pay for Iron Man. So I did that. Let's see if I regret it or not lol
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2554
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:14 am

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:44 am

Ugh, my Iron Man shipped from Amazon JP with SF Express instead of DHL. Won't have it for a couple of weeks now.
User avatar
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2274
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 11:29 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:57 pm

I hate when stores throw a monkey wrench into shipping like that. Dorkside's new shipping partner has been annoying me lately, itaking 3-5 days longer, but I'm still paying USPS priority rates. DHL is estimating Thursday delivery for Iron Man, but they typically beat their expected day by 1 or 2 days
User avatar
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 7703
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:07 pm

Hobby Search shipped my combined order of Jean, Iron Man, and Endgame Captain Marvel, should be here in a few days. Wish I could have waited two weeks for symbiote Spidey to show up but ah well.
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 10523
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:00 pm

I got the shipping notice for mine as well but I’m immediately parting with it. I decided I don’t need it since I’ve just about had it with this armor


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:25 pm

How accurate do you think the BBTS listing of Magneto is?

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/ ... ils/200539

It says "3 Pairs of alternate hands" but as far as I can tell, there are only two sets of hands, one pair of fists and one pair of open hands. Maybe there are specific hands to connect the effect pieces? Also the box contents say it include a helmet, but I don't see that in any of the pictures either. Not the end of the world if they don't include it because I have the helmet that came with the Legends Hellfire Club box-set, and that old ToyBiz Legends Magneto from like 20 years ago, but it would be nice to have one in the same matching red paint as the figure.
User avatar
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 7703
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:56 pm

Handsome wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:25 pm
How accurate do you think the BBTS listing of Magneto is?

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/ ... ils/200539

It says "3 Pairs of alternate hands" but as far as I can tell, there are only two sets of hands, one pair of fists and one pair of open hands. Maybe there are specific hands to connect the effect pieces? Also the box contents say it include a helmet, but I don't see that in any of the pictures either. Not the end of the world if they don't include it because I have the helmet that came with the Legends Hellfire Club box-set, and that old ToyBiz Legends Magneto from like 20 years ago, but it would be nice to have one in the same matching red paint as the figure.

I doubt anyone knows, but yes, I'm guessing you're right and the third set of hands is for attaching effects. Also those fireball-looking effects probably have hands built into them because they did when they came with AoA Magneto.

In the product shots I can't entirely tell if the other two effect types come with hands built into them or not, but the circular ones don't appear to have hands built in which if true would mean yep, there's a pair of hands for attaching effects to them.
User avatar
TheeCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2841
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:59 pm

Iron Man is beautiful - one of the best paint jobs from Mafex. FedEx was actually faster than DHL and was less expensive.

The cannon doesn’t have much in terms of paint. Silver with some black wash/lining.

The unmasked head is gorgeous but the skin tone, as in other Mafex releases, feels off to me.

I like the options with the face mask to have eyes peer through or not. Subtle but cool. The no-nose one looks better to me, but that’s subjective.

Hands galore here. All painted well and the way they do the wrists make poses for the repulsive blasts look right.

The side discs haven’t fallen off but feel like they will eventually.

It’s a fantastic figure but the similar armors of ML Iron Man have been great too. Even so, this is what you would expect from Mafex. I’d be fine with this as my definitive classic armor. Love when Mafex takes an iconic pose and puts their filigrees in it on the box.
User avatar
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:22 pm

How does he compare size-wise with the Legends versions?

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”