MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
User avatar
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:59 am

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sat May 21, 2022 7:03 pm

Caught a Marketplace listing for a guy dumping all his Mafex and Figuarts at... I hate to say ignorant... Really good non exploitive pricing?

Picked up two Psylockes, Gambit, brown Wolverine, and Cyclops for slightly over MSRP.

I closed that deal so fast.
User avatar
Stark Resilient
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6170
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sat May 21, 2022 8:34 pm

AddictBraids wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:02 pm
It still blows my mind that the Mafex Gambit is going for $300ish on ebay. Gambit always been my personal favorite character since I was a kid, but I didn't know he was THAT popular... he's going for almost as much as the og Mafex Spiderman... You can get Gambit "used" for like $250, but "brand new" you aren't getting him for less than $300. Also surprised the tigerstripe Wolverine has shot up to $250 as well. I remember the Wolverine and Cyclops sitting in stock everywhere for a LONG time. In fact, Im pretty sure I remember BBTS actually clearanced (!) the Cyclops at one point, and they were selling him for like $60. I'm kind of shocked the Ben Reiley Spiderman hasn't gone up more on the secondary market. I figured a lot of people that missed out on the OG Spiderman would of picked up the Ben Reilly Spidey as a placeholder. But I guess it is just Ben Reilly...he's no Peter Parker lol
I think it's a commentary on how good that figure is. It's might be the best figure i own.. Top 3 no question.
AddictBraids
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:41 am

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 12:46 am

Stark Resilient wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:34 pm
AddictBraids wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:02 pm
It still blows my mind that the Mafex Gambit is going for $300ish on ebay. Gambit always been my personal favorite character since I was a kid, but I didn't know he was THAT popular... he's going for almost as much as the og Mafex Spiderman... You can get Gambit "used" for like $250, but "brand new" you aren't getting him for less than $300. Also surprised the tigerstripe Wolverine has shot up to $250 as well. I remember the Wolverine and Cyclops sitting in stock everywhere for a LONG time. In fact, Im pretty sure I remember BBTS actually clearanced (!) the Cyclops at one point, and they were selling him for like $60. I'm kind of shocked the Ben Reiley Spiderman hasn't gone up more on the secondary market. I figured a lot of people that missed out on the OG Spiderman would of picked up the Ben Reilly Spidey as a placeholder. But I guess it is just Ben Reilly...he's no Peter Parker lol
I think it's a commentary on how good that figure is. It's might be the best figure i own.. Top 3 no question.
Yea, the Mafex Gambit is probably my personal favorite figure I own, but my opinion on how great he is might be a little biased since he is probably my favorite character in all of media. But even taking my bias away, I don't think its too far fetched to call him arguably the best Mafex figure in the last few years. The fact that they even detailed his costume under the coat perfectly is the chefs kiss. I honestly don't know what they could have done to make a better Gambit figure... If my house was burning down, I'd at least think about grabbing my Gambit figure before my dog lol...only kidding...kind of lol
AddictBraids
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:41 am

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 12:53 am

MollyMillions wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:03 pm
Caught a Marketplace listing for a guy dumping all his Mafex and Figuarts at... I hate to say ignorant... Really good non exploitive pricing?

Picked up two Psylockes, Gambit, brown Wolverine, and Cyclops for slightly over MSRP.

I closed that deal so fast.


Yea it's kind of crazy how all the Mafex X Men figures kinda just super shot up in value so fast. Normally it's expected for figures to jump in value when there's popular new media involving these properties, but there isn't really any "new" major media for the X Men, so I'm kinda shocked with just how high the X Men figures have climbed in value. Even Cyclops is like knocking on the $200 door...the only Mafex X Men figure that I believe is still going for close to retail is the AoA Magneto...

Good for you though getting all this figures for the cheap, because it appears at least for now you'd be hard pressed to find any of the X Men (except AoA Mags) for less than $175.
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: NE Florida - Away from the tourists and retirees
Posts: 3883
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:49 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 1:35 am

It wasn’t that long ago that MAFEX figures were so easy to come by. Online retailers had them in stock for months and sometimes even years. I even remember BBTS offering Cyclops for something like $62 as part of their Black Friday Sale one year.

Most of that was because MAFEX had a lousy reputation for QC and big drop offs aesthetically between the promo pics and the production figures. Then they started releasing better and better figures, and they quickly went from being the butt of jokes to one of the hottest toy companies in this scale.

I was supposed to get Ben for Christmas last year from my kids when he was in stock at BBTS, but they waited too long to place the order, and he sold out. So. I got Cyclops as a consolation prize. That turned out to be a pretty good consolation prize!

Fortunately, I preordered Gambit and Psylocke because they’re two of my favorite characters and I wasn’t crazy about the ML versions, but I didn’t preorder the brown costume Wolverine and got burned. Since then, I’ve preordered everything.
User avatar
AgentLionel
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 4:36 am

Part of it is MAFEXs speed. They are slow to produce and distribute, but their preorders stay up for a relatively long time. I'm assuming they use them to determine their production sizes, where Figuarts figures sell preorders super fast but then deliver a few months later. Their comic figures have been insanely popular, mainly because they are creating iconic characters in definitive versions that are getting this treatment for the first time ever. I personally don't like a lot of Legends, though I have several and think they are good bang for buck. But Legends Gambit vs MAFEX? One is a doll and the other is a piece of art that jumps into all those poses you saw Gambit in on trading cards or comic books or posters. There might not ever be a better Gambit figure and there aren't many to compare him with as is.
User avatar
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 19601
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:48 am

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 6:32 am

MAFEX Gambit is genuinely one of the best figures I own. I hope he gets a re-release for those that missed out.
User avatar
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: An Abandoned Toys R Us
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 1:17 pm

Yeah he is the only Mafex figure I have missed out on that I wasn’t able to sneak a order in on. I’m really hopeful for a rerelease
User avatar
MarvelLegendsMan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:02 am

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 2:00 pm

I'll join the chorus - Mafex Gambit is a top 5 figure in my collection (although the hip joints are a little loose, which is the case with all of my Mafex figures).

I hope all Mafex figures going forward match the Gambit standard. Psylocke, unfortunately, did not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

User avatar
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 7052
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 2:10 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 2:00 pm
I hope all Mafex figures going forward match the Gambit standard. Psylocke, unfortunately, did not.

Gambit is definitely one of their best. Psylocke isn't, but as usual Mafex still created the best version of that character anyone ever has. Not sure any Mafex figures I own aren't best-ever versions of any given character...I'd have to mull that over. Certainly they're the best ever for the vast majority of the figures they've done.

I'm unsure about tiger stripe Wolverine. Love Triangle Wolverine is one of Hasbro's best figures ever, and that may be better than the current Mafex tiger stripe Wolverine. Brown suit Wolverine from Mafex kills any Hasbro release though. Some people don't like Mafex Cyclops, but I still think that's a vast improvement over any other version of the character, and most of the aesthetic issues people complain about on that figure are straight from the source material they used which was the Capcom art for Cyclops from their Marvel vs Capcom games.
User avatar
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 8:08 pm

Wolverine's almost there. I think the heads are damn near perfect, and the body proportions are good. My biggest issues are the claws, which for a character like Wolverine, are an essential part of the design. And they look goofy. They improved them with the brown-suit costume, but as far as I know, there's no way to replace them on the tiger-stripe figure. And the tiger-stripes are blue instead of black, but that doesn't bother me as much as the claws.

And yeah, Gambit is super popular. He may not be that important of a character in the overall history of the X-Men going back to the '60s. But he was EXTREMELY popular in the '90s, people forget he was rivaling Wolverine in popularity for a while. And the '90s were the most popular period the X-Men ever had. That may change if the MCU X-Men are breaking box-office records like the MCU Avengers did. But for now, that was the peak of X-Men popularity, and Gambit was right there at the top.
User avatar
MarvelLegendsMan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:02 am

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 8:34 pm


EnigmaticClarity wrote:
MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 2:00 pm
I hope all Mafex figures going forward match the Gambit standard. Psylocke, unfortunately, did not.

Gambit is definitely one of their best. Psylocke isn't, but as usual Mafex still created the best version of that character anyone ever has. Not sure any Mafex figures I own aren't best-ever versions of any given character...I'd have to mull that over. Certainly they're the best ever for the vast majority of the figures they've done.

I'm unsure about tiger stripe Wolverine. Love Triangle Wolverine is one of Hasbro's best figures ever, and that may be better than the current Mafex tiger stripe Wolverine. Brown suit Wolverine from Mafex kills any Hasbro release though. Some people don't like Mafex Cyclops, but I still think that's a vast improvement over any other version of the character, and most of the aesthetic issues people complain about on that figure are straight from the source material they used which was the Capcom art for Cyclops from their Marvel vs Capcom games.
I don't disagree with you about Psylocke, Cyclops or other Mafex releases. Most of them ARE the best versions, even if they aren't perfect. I suspect the same will be true of Jean Grey.

I can't speak to the Mafex Wolverine figures because I passed on those. I'm actually happy enough with my Legends versions of the character, which is not something I can say about too many other X-Men. The character also doesn't rank all that high on my own list of favorite X-Men, so that factored into it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


killphil
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:02 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 11:33 pm

AddictBraids wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:53 am
MollyMillions wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:03 pm
Caught a Marketplace listing for a guy dumping all his Mafex and Figuarts at... I hate to say ignorant... Really good non exploitive pricing?

Picked up two Psylockes, Gambit, brown Wolverine, and Cyclops for slightly over MSRP.

I closed that deal so fast.


Yea it's kind of crazy how all the Mafex X Men figures kinda just super shot up in value so fast. Normally it's expected for figures to jump in value when there's popular new media involving these properties, but there isn't really any "new" major media for the X Men, so I'm kinda shocked with just how high the X Men figures have climbed in value. Even Cyclops is like knocking on the $200 door...the only Mafex X Men figure that I believe is still going for close to retail is the AoA Magneto...

Good for you though getting all this figures for the cheap, because it appears at least for now you'd be hard pressed to find any of the X Men (except AoA Mags) for less than $175.
I noticed the value of the other X-men shoot up as soon as Gambit was released and word started spreading on how he may be one of the best action figures released to date. Maybe collectors who were on the fence with Mafex got a case of FOMO and bought up all the previous figures to go "all in" with their Mafex X-Men collection.

Probably helped by Hasbro's Gambit being so subpar and phoned in, that this Gambit was a must have for most of us. That wasn't the case with the Mafex Wolverine or Cyclops at the time of their releases. I think the Hasbro versions were good enough for most people at that time.
User avatar
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Seriously..who the %$#*& ate my lunch?!?!?
Posts: 10109
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 pm

MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 11:53 pm

killphil wrote:
AddictBraids wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:53 am
MollyMillions wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:03 pm
Caught a Marketplace listing for a guy dumping all his Mafex and Figuarts at... I hate to say ignorant... Really good non exploitive pricing?

Picked up two Psylockes, Gambit, brown Wolverine, and Cyclops for slightly over MSRP.

I closed that deal so fast.


Yea it's kind of crazy how all the Mafex X Men figures kinda just super shot up in value so fast. Normally it's expected for figures to jump in value when there's popular new media involving these properties, but there isn't really any "new" major media for the X Men, so I'm kinda shocked with just how high the X Men figures have climbed in value. Even Cyclops is like knocking on the $200 door...the only Mafex X Men figure that I believe is still going for close to retail is the AoA Magneto...

Good for you though getting all this figures for the cheap, because it appears at least for now you'd be hard pressed to find any of the X Men (except AoA Mags) for less than $175.
I noticed the value of the other X-men shoot up as soon as Gambit was released and word started spreading on how he may be one of the best action figures released to date. Maybe collectors who were on the fence with Mafex got a case of FOMO and bought up all the previous figures to go "all in" with their Mafex X-Men collection.

Probably helped by Hasbro's Gambit being so subpar and phoned in, that this Gambit was a must have for most of us. That wasn't the case with the Mafex Wolverine or Cyclops at the time of their releases. I think the Hasbro versions were good enough for most people at that time.
He was also the first X-Man figure in awhile. Cyclops came out nearly 18 months before Gambit no thanks in part to Covid and the delays at the ports so there was quite the gap and it allowed enough breathing room for people for casual fans and collectors to really let their guards down. And then Psylocke and brown Wolverine hit all within a few months of each other literally between Halloween and New Year’s Eve if you imported everything.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Littlemidget312
CROM!
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:19 pm

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sun May 22, 2022 11:54 pm

I think Psylocke was great. I fudged her into my ML display. If her head was slightly larger she’d be perfect. Her body is so much better than the sloppy ML version.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”