MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:04 am

So I decided to craft another custom Mafex Wolverine. This time it’s the 70’s version of the tiger stripe costume with the vanilla belt buckle and I’ve sculpted a new pair of stripes that I’ll eventually paint black. I also modified the back of his mask to include that black band that goes across his mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:43 pm

I got Cyclops and Wolverine both for about 55 bucks each sometime around the beginning of Covid. If bad reviews are all it takes, I hope people start shitting all over these, haha.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:00 pm

S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote:I got Cyclops and Wolverine both for about 55 bucks each sometime around the beginning of Covid. If bad reviews are all it takes, I hope people start shitting all over these, haha.
I purchased 2 Wolverines from AmiAmi when he was first & both of my copies are perfect. I never experienced the arm issues that others were reporting. I think I may have been lucky. I'm hoping to get lucky w/brown costume Wolverine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:17 pm

My Cyclops literally fell off a four-foot high shelf. Even as it was on the way down I was thinking "aww crap, it's a Mafex, I've seen all the complaints". Dude was fine. So either the figure is good or I got lucky.
panther10

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:43 pm

Okay so the classic stripes are all sanded, painted and finished. I think they turned out really nice. So for a makeshift 70’s Wolverine this didn’t turn out half bad. Image

pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:44 pm

That's pretty darn cool.
spidey2378
HULK SMASH!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:33 pm

Maybe take some yellow paint and clean up the stripes a bit and level out the top of the black band on the back of his head.
panther10

MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:25 pm

That will have to wait. I’m moving in about 3 weeks and all of my paints have been packed up. Last night was my last big job before everything was packed away So I’ll have to do touch ups later once I’m settled in.

panther10

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:26 am

Just a quick FYI:

Ben Reilly is back up for preorder on BBTS for those of you who have not ordered yet.

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:27 am

Amazing_Spider-Man wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:37 pm
I firmly believe that the only reason Cyclops has hung around so much is that ridiculously negative review that came out after it dropped. It’s a great figure and should’ve sold out long ago.
It’s the torso that kills that figure for me. I want to like it because I love Jim Lee era Cyke, but they made his torso so short. If he were 20 bucks I could overlook it easier, but I can’t at Mafex prices. If we’re ignoring price, then yeah, it’s probably the best Lee Cyclops any company has done.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:26 am

Misfit wrote:
I firmly believe that the only reason Cyclops has hung around so much is that ridiculously negative review that came out after it dropped. It’s a great figure and should’ve sold out long ago.
It’s the torso that kills that figure for me. I want to like it because I love Jim Lee era Cyke, but they made his torso so short. If he were 20 bucks I could overlook it easier, but I can’t at Mafex prices. If we’re ignoring price, then yeah, it’s probably the best Lee Cyclops any company has done.

The torso is short because it isn't a Jim Lee Cyclops, it's a Capcom Cyclops as shown below with the short torso. Which was explicit since several of the poses in the promo shots were directly taken from victory animations from the Capcom games. Same is true of Wolverine who also had the blue tiger stripes in some of the Capcom art. The inaccuracies were introduced by Capcom artists, although they're not too far from the sorts of creative liberties that every Marvel artist in America also takes when they start their own art on a title.

Japan was introduced to the X-Men mostly by the Capcom games since the comics weren't popular there prior to the game being released so it's not too surprising that Medicom would use Capcom's art as a reference.

panther10

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:04 am

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Misfit wrote:

The torso is short because it isn't a Jim Lee Cyclops, it's a Capcom Cyclops as shown below with the short torso. Which was explicit since several of the poses in the promo shots were directly taken from victory animations from the Capcom games. Same is true of Wolverine who also had the blue tiger stripes in some of the Capcom art. The inaccuracies were introduced by Capcom artists, although they're not too far from the sorts of creative liberties that every Marvel artist in America also takes when they start their own art on a title.

Japan was introduced to the X-Men mostly by the Capcom games since the comics weren't popular there prior to the game being released so it's not too surprising that Medicom would use Capcom's art as a reference.

Wolverine had blue tiger stripes in pretty much every single issue of the comics too during the entire decade of the 90’s up until the team switched over to the New X-Men uniforms. It was especially prevalent when artists like Adam Kubert, Joe Madeuria, Liniel Yu and Jeff Matsuda drew the character in the back half of the 90’s.

Benedict
CROM!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:27 am

Misfit wrote:
The belt gives that illusion. Torso’s not that short.

Photo cr: Gilbert_Collections

Edit: Image won’t show up

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUffuyChlH4/
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:32 pm

Yeah, the torso isn't that bad. But even if it was? Jim Lee Cyclops has a short torso in a lot of art. Or at the very least, his torso is so wide that it throws the scaling off and makes it seem shorter than it is.
Photo Dave
Avengers Assemble

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:22 pm

After I paid way too much for Gambit - and he’s on the way, so no refund for your’s truly - I just saw the “Add to Cart” button’s orange on Amiami. So if you missed out, get him while you can!

Good luck, and have fun!

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”