MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
kojigritton
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:44 am

Mafex is just a unique headsculpt and torso away from giving us Daredevil. Make it happen, you cowards! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:56 am

kojigritton wrote:Mafex is just a unique headsculpt and torso away from giving us Daredevil. Make it happen, you cowards! Image

He would need a belt too. Knowing Mafex that would take another two years lol

Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 am

Plus they don't reuse parts between different characters. People said Batman and Superman shared parts but in hand it's obvious they don't. These aren't Marvel Legends.
garrettlcustoms
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:40 am

pr1983 wrote:
garrettlcustoms wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:43 pm
pr1983 wrote: The talking 1991 one was my first X-Men toy, and I look back at that thing with such fondness.

Makes me wonder if Mafex is going to give us the original X-Factor before ML does.
Not if their delay pattern holds. So far, they're tied AFAIK, both began with Cyclops and that's been it.

They may put up more of the members faster but there's just no way they can keep up with Hasbro's actual output, especially with how often and how far off things get delayed. We'll probably get the Hasbro lineup a good while before Mafex gets them all to their buyers.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Gonna be honest with you, I was more just making a (bad) joke about how long we've had to wait so far for anything more than Cyclops and Iceman from Hasbro.
Oooohhh... well crap lol. In that case, my bad haha. Should've thought that through more logically than I did because now it makes all the sense.Image

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The Gill-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:18 pm

panther10 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:29 pm
The Gill-Man wrote:
panther10 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:38 am
Seeing that Ben Reilly Spider-Man in that glass case is giving me heart palpitations. And the paint deco is as vibrant and as gorgeous in its final production form as it was when it was still in the paint masters stage. That really makes me happy

I agree. I've held off on every Marvel Legends iteration of this costume, because there has always been something off about it that I can't put my finger on. In this case, it's just...beautiful! It's the exact figure I've always wanted. Really looking forward to it.
I think it has something to do with the correct distribution between the red and the black. On the Hasbro version the red was kind of muted in tone and the symbol looked huge because the torso was so lean. So it almost looks like the black elements from the symbol and web pattern were overtaking the figure. The Mafex on the other hand looks just like the original art from the comics. The symbol is leaner, the web pattern is thinner and the red parts have a chance to breathe. Compare the images below.

I think you nailed it! I was never able to figure out what bugged me about the ML, but you did! I know we have a long wait for the Mafex, but it will be SO worth it!
panther10

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:50 pm

The Gill-Man wrote:
panther10 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:29 pm
The Gill-Man wrote:
I agree. I've held off on every Marvel Legends iteration of this costume, because there has always been something off about it that I can't put my finger on. In this case, it's just...beautiful! It's the exact figure I've always wanted. Really looking forward to it.
I think it has something to do with the correct distribution between the red and the black. On the Hasbro version the red was kind of muted in tone and the symbol looked huge because the torso was so lean. So it almost looks like the black elements from the symbol and web pattern were overtaking the figure. The Mafex on the other hand looks just like the original art from the comics. The symbol is leaner, the web pattern is thinner and the red parts have a chance to breathe. Compare the images below.

I think you nailed it! I was never able to figure out what bugged me about the ML, but you did! I know we have a long wait for the Mafex, but it will be SO worth it!
Well the release of the Reilly figure is just under two months away if we are lucky and it releases on schedule. I hope that it does. Spider-Man figures from the Mafex line as a whole don’t really suffer with the same kinds of delays as the other marvel figures for the most part. Except for the MCU stuff because that might be under separate licensing requirements. But the comic spidey figures usually release on time. Although I believe Carnage was delayed slightly due to covid.

And as I’ve said in the past, marvel is bringing Ben back into the fold as the next spidey so Medicom (and Marvel to some extent) probably are looking to strike while the iron is hot. It might not be the suit that Ben will be wearing in the new comics, but at least it’s a Ben Reilly figure.

panther10

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:36 pm

I made some mods to my Mafex Wolverine and gave him a cel shaded paint job and used heavy inks to help simulate the 90’s era Jim Lee and Kubert-isms in the figures design. I love how this turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:49 pm

That looks damn good.
panther10

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:19 pm

Thanks! Yeah I’m quite proud. It looks like it popped right off the page

Samael13
is way smarter than you

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:33 pm

Oh, wow; excellent work, panther. That turned out fantastic. I really like the mask/head, especially.
MarvelLegendsMan
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:36 pm

Wow, panther10 - amazing job! Wasn't a fan of that figure, but looks awesome after your efforts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

panther10

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:56 pm

Thanks guys! Now all I need is a pair of hands with some bone claws that can fit onto a Mafex figure and I’ll consider this fig to be the pan ultimate 90’s comic accurate Wolverine

panther10

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:25 am

So after taking those original photographs I put the figure away and it looks like some of the black shading that I had drawn on the legs had either smeared off or something because they were definitely less fuzzy looking when I took a second look at the figure after dinner. I guess I didn’t seal them correctly. I went back and redid them and added some extra shading on the torso and back too for good measure. I think this looks a lot better now. I wish I still had my comic painted Spider-Man from Mafex to compare but unfortunately the wrist hinges broke and I have no way to fix them. Anyway here are the new pics. FYI I took some better shots of the mask so you can see the cel shaded work there too.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:06 am

You nailed the mask.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

panther10

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:05 am

Nebraska wrote:You nailed the mask.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks. Yeah the 90’s version of Wolverine’s tiger stripe costume is hands down my favorite look for the character and I had to do it justice with all little artistic details that were present in the original books from that period and I love how it turned out. In fact starting in a couple of weeks I’m actually planning to sit down and read some of my old X-Men and Wolverine comics that I haven’t touched in a few years. It should be really trippy you read those old comics now that I have this Wolverine fig all cel shaded up.

My only regret is that I would love to follow this same recipe on the rest of my legends and Mafex figures but I would need entire cargo ship containers full of paint washes and calligraphy pens to sit here and work on over 1000 legends to look like this Wolverine lol.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”