HasLab Sentinel Discussion

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
User avatar
Bolt
Super Poseable
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Florida
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:35 am

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:45 pm

The extra ratcheting on some units might take it to 30lbs. Wouldn't that be a knee slapper. :p
User avatar
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 5973
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:02 pm

sepster wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:40 pm
The package weighed 34lbs, was there really 25lbs of packaging and 9lbs of Sentinel?

FedEx reports the package as weighing 30 pounds, but that's almost certainly a maximum weight for the shipping cost Hasbro chose based upon the box dimensions. The Hasbro text on the shipper box says it weighs 18.67 pounds, so even the box full of everything is below the hernia weight lift limit Grins has imposed upon him right now.
User avatar
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 5973
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:26 pm

Maximoff wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:38 pm
I’ve been curious of the actual weight of the sentinel because a detolf shelf is rated for 13lbs before it potentially shatters.

Wow, is that all Detolf shelves are rated for? If the Sentinel is 8 or 9 pounds and anything over 13 might shatter a shelf, then a Sentinel falling over in a Detolf is almost guaranteed to generate more force than that once the falling Sentinel hits the shelf.

Although I'd have to think that through a lot more. One complexity is that every picture I've seen so far of a Sentinel in a Detolf it's obvious that there isn't enough room for him to fall flat onto a shelf. If he falls, he will definitely hit the side of the cabinet, and then his feet will probably move in the opposite direction of wherever the head hits...and then I don't know what happens from there. But there may be some falls that could end up shattering Detolf glass. :shock:
User avatar
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 22636
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:45 pm

Mines still arriving "today" but it's been in Ohio for the past 4 days with no movement. Of course, I have a half dozen fed ex packages that are delayed right now because the local hubs can't get any workers.
canprime
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:59 pm

And Canada is still crickets.

The original estimate was late September, but since so many of you in the States started getting them in early September I was hoping we might see some movement by now for Canada.

Either way they are running out of time for a late September ship date, so I guess those of us north of the border will have to settle for sometime in October.
User avatar
Maximoff
no more subnics
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Hiney
Posts: 8779
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:32 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:23 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Maximoff wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:38 pm
I’ve been curious of the actual weight of the sentinel because a detolf shelf is rated for 13lbs before it potentially shatters.

Wow, is that all Detolf shelves are rated for? If the Sentinel is 8 or 9 pounds and anything over 13 might shatter a shelf, then a Sentinel falling over in a Detolf is almost guaranteed to generate more force than that once the falling Sentinel hits the shelf.

Although I'd have to think that through a lot more. One complexity is that every picture I've seen so far of a Sentinel in a Detolf it's obvious that there isn't enough room for him to fall flat onto a shelf. If he falls, he will definitely hit the side of the cabinet, and then his feet will probably move in the opposite direction of wherever the head hits...and then I don't know what happens from there. But there may be some falls that could end up shattering Detolf glass. :shock:
Yeah it’s really thin glass. I’ve heard people who collect heavy statues will get heavy duty glass cut or heavy duty acrylic to replace them.
User avatar
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:27 pm

Is the prevailing trend that Fedex actually makes someone sign for these or is that just what they're supposed to do, but still dump and run? I ordered some rather large car parts, and thank fully I was home because I heard their van being thrown in reverse and beeping all the way up the driveway where they then threw the boxes against the garage door and drove away, no effort made to actually hide or secure the packages at all.

I may have answered my own question, but I hope the sentinel gets some more consideration.
User avatar
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 5973
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:30 pm

Maximoff wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:23 pm
Yeah it’s really thin glass. I’ve heard people who collect heavy statues will get heavy duty glass cut or heavy duty acrylic to replace them.

That's me. I own two glass display cases I bought from a friend who used to run a statuary store. They're six feet tall and about 2 to 3 feet wide, and I've had as many as 20 to 30 pounds of statues per shelf for years at a time. I've got plenty of room for the Sentinel in either one, but I had no idea Detolf glass was so thin. Guess that's how the cost is so low.

But even with that I'm concerned about the force generated if the Sentinel were to fall. I need to come up with a plan but haven't yet. I suppose step one is I need to figure out the most likely load specs for the shelves. I had in mind putting three on one shelf at some point, but the weight concerns hadn't even occurred to me until today. :oops:
User avatar
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 5973
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:31 pm

JTMarsh wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:27 pm
Is the prevailing trend that Fedex actually makes someone sign for these or is that just what they're supposed to do, but still dump and run?

Prior to September 15th it was up to the driver as to whether to actually get a signature; FedEx policy was to not require them as a Covid protocol. The drivers are supposed to get them now. Haven't heard of that not happening since the 15th yet.
User avatar
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:00 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:31 pm
JTMarsh wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:27 pm
Is the prevailing trend that Fedex actually makes someone sign for these or is that just what they're supposed to do, but still dump and run?

Prior to September 15th it was up to the driver as to whether to actually get a signature; FedEx policy was to not require them as a Covid protocol. The drivers are supposed to get them now. Haven't heard of that not happening since the 15th yet.
Ok thanks, that's a little better. I hope they actually follow it, as I've had large comic statues get the dump and run treatment despite requiring a signature, so hopefully I get the overachiever driver.
User avatar
darkmoon766
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 4:53 am

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:38 pm

JTMarsh wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:00 pm
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:31 pm
JTMarsh wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:27 pm
Is the prevailing trend that Fedex actually makes someone sign for these or is that just what they're supposed to do, but still dump and run?

Prior to September 15th it was up to the driver as to whether to actually get a signature; FedEx policy was to not require them as a Covid protocol. The drivers are supposed to get them now. Haven't heard of that not happening since the 15th yet.
Ok thanks, that's a little better. I hope they actually follow it, as I've had large comic statues get the dump and run treatment despite requiring a signature, so hopefully I get the overachiever driver.
There have been at least a few folks in here claiming that it was just left there with no signature well after the 15th.
Dek
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:50 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Does anybody else's Sentinel whisper to them late at night, telling them to break into their neighbor's apartment and wash their dishes or fold their laundry?

Mine does...
fac
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 864
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 10:22 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:47 am

Got mine today, had to sign for it.

Very happy with it - knees are loose but will fix that, plus I plan to have him sit as Master Mold most of the time surrounded by his Sentinel army so knee strength is not a huge issue for me - but it really shouldn't be an issue. But everything else is so well done - still need to put in some batteries (I'd sort of like to know if there was a logistical reason to not include batteries in the package) to try out the lights. Will work on a seat for him and get the Sentinel shelf setup, think it will look great to have him flanked by 4 or 6 of the Marvel Universe style Sentinels plus Nimrod, Tri-Sentinel and the included Primes (need more of those as well) - and still hope for a first appearance/Konami game size Sentinel release

As much as I like it, I think the Sail Barge was more of a "Wow" piece when I got it. Not sure how to explain it, maybe because the Sentinel is more of an upgrade from past releases while the Sail Barge was never done before so filled a bigger gap in my collection. Maybe because I think Galactus will be the true centerpiece next year when it arrives.
User avatar
100ptsofarticulation
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 10134
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:24 am

'nother week down and I really feel like a premium member!
User avatar
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 5973
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:21 am

fac wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:47 am
(I'd sort of like to know if there was a logistical reason to not include batteries in the package)

High-end toys rarely ever include batteries. Not because of cost, but because of the risk of them leaking and ruining electronics. Some buyers will keep a high-end toy in the box for a variety of reasons--either because they bought it to eventually sell, or because they're a "mint in box" collector and they just leave everything in the box. If the company puts batteries in a toy then they have effectively removed that option for experienced buyers--you HAVE to open the package and take the batteries out, or there is a risk of leakage.

They could just include the batteries, but leave them out of the item and in a separate package. That's nice, but not necessary, and for an item that was sitting in a box for years the batteries are then mostly dead, completely dead, or leaking. Because of this I prefer they just not include them at all on high-end toys.

So put simply on a high end toy batteries being included is a problem for long-term storage. It's a low risk problem, but it's a risk that experienced collectors would do well to manage. This also applies to collectors who keep items on shelves for years, if not a decade or more--every year you leave the toy on the shelf with the batteries in you're incurring that 1% risk of leakage. If you have a large collection it WILL happen, it's just a matter of when, not if.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”





Recent Topics