HasLab Sentinel Discussion

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Dek
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: HasLab Sentinel Discussion

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:54 pm

You cannot fit 400 comics, even unbagged and unboarded in one long box. They're designed to hold 300 max for unbagged and unboarded.
Dek
Super Poseable

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:56 pm

Guardianmonkey wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:53 pm
Dek wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:36 pm
Quick question, how many long boxes did you have to start with? I've got around 65 currently and am looking into something like your set up, but I'm concerned I'll need more than twice your set up to hold them all.
You would absolutely need more than twice as much as what I have pictured. I don't honestly remember how many long boxes I had in total. I have to shamefully admit that there is one entire box missing :( But I had at least 25, no more than 30. I had the longest possible drawers (without the price ballooning) and I still had overflow. If you can go higher than my three drawer limit (due to the height of my windows), that could help.

And bless you!! I would kill to have the space for that many comics! Then again, I'm currently drowning in toys ...
Space is limited right now, but I'm looking to move to a bigger place in the next two years. I usually start planning ahead for these things so when I go and check places out I know what kind of room I need for my comics and toys. Also keep in mind I recently got rid of like 10 long boxes too, donations to charities and my local comic shops.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:10 pm

Controversial opinion. People over-board their comics wasting too much space in their comic boxes. Have actual valuable comics; sure use boards. Don't use boards on the majority of your modern comics that will never be worth anything. Does it really matter if your $4 comic devalues to $3 bc it wasn't in a board?
darkmoon766
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:51 pm

DerRabbi wrote:
Controversial opinion. People over-board their comics wasting too much space in their comic boxes. Have actual valuable comics; sure use boards. Don't use boards on the majority of your modern comics that will never be worth anything. Does it really matter if your $4 comic devalues to $3 bc it wasn't in a board?
If you have a thousand it might.
Guardianmonkey
Avengers Assemble

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:52 pm

DerRabbi wrote:
I feel bad that I've derailed the conversation but I am happy that we're talking about this! When I was loading the drawers, I continually questioned the need to keep what I have boarded with their boards. With space at a premium, I honestly could utilize every spare millimeters. I ultimately decided to leave my collection as is -- partly out of laziness but also because the boarded comics are already boarded.

I would love to see some sort of study or experiment that tested the efficacy of boards over time. I highly doubt my Spider-Man/X-Factor: Shadowgames mini series needs that much protection ...
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 pm

My boarding cutoff is about $10 to $20. Anything above that I'll likely board. If it's high grade and worth $15 I'll probably board it, but if it's a beater worth $15 I probably won't board it.

The exception is the runs I primarily collect. I bag all of my Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, and Daredevil because I collect them in high grade, 9.0 and up.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:19 pm

Having a thousand marginally valuable comics unboarded wont do anything. Boards will prevent damage ... I don't know ... 5% of the time? So you're out $5. Theoretically. For comics you'd struggle to sell on eBay for $4 and prob get a quarter for from a comic store. More important to keep boxes tight.

Medication is more effective than comic boards for these feelings usually.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:29 pm

That cabinetry is amazing... definitely getting something after we redo the basement

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:32 pm

My Sentinel was delivered today... to a relative is Missouri. Hopefully I'll get it driven up to Canada for Christmas :)
Guardianmonkey
Avengers Assemble

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:06 pm

re: the lights in my Sentinel not working at all

I just got off the phone with Hasbro customer service. I was redirected from Hasbro Pulse's customer service to Hasbro's main line. The rep I spoke to was very nice and anticipated my complaint. "Is this about the knees?" I did let her know that my Sentinel's knees are precariously loosey goosey but I was really calling about the lights.

They've all been instructed to "hold off" from answering any Sentinel problems at this time as they research a solution for the knees. She also reported that this is the first she's heard anything about the lights being bad -- lucky me! She'll be contacting me once she has further information; either a pre-paid shipping note or whatever the solution might be.

She did share that the big talk around the office is all about the knees and whichever team is responsible for such things is scrambling to work it out. That was very encouraging, even though I wish that sort of information was being actively shared. She also warned that, while she was unaware of specific stock numbers due to different systems, that she'd been informed that there are very few additional Sentinels available. I assume whatever is left are specifically for defects but, according to her, nobody anywhere has been sent any replacement of any kind for the Sentinel specifically. Hopefully that's mostly to scare off people trying to score more Sentinels and I'll have a blinking, flashing robot eventually!
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:32 pm

Guardianmonkey wrote: ….She did share that the big talk around the office is all about the knees and whichever team is responsible for such things is scrambling to work it out. That was very encouraging, even though I wish that sort of information was being actively shared. She also warned that, while she was unaware of specific stock numbers due to different systems, that she'd been informed that there are very few additional Sentinels available. I assume whatever is left are specifically for defects but, according to her, nobody anywhere has been sent any replacement of any kind for the Sentinel specifically. Hopefully that's mostly to scare off people trying to score more Sentinels and I'll have a blinking, flashing robot eventually!
Thanks for sharing this info, very interesting to hear about this from an internal source.

Also really hope your Sentinel gets sorted with a fix or replacement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:11 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:42 pm
Every shelf in every bookcase/display case we own could similarly be said to hinge upon a single screw failing to bring it all tumbling down, yet somehow they seem to hold their 50 to 100 pound load anyway. What's your fear here--that the screw will snap? They loosen when worked, but is there reason to think they're also too weak for the Sentinel's weight? They definitely won't keep turning (loosening) if the joints are still.
I don't get what you're trying to say here because the analogy falls flat. Probably because it's not based on anything of solid reason. I work a blue collar job. In fact, joint assembly with wood and screws is a cornerstone of my job, as well as considering weight and structural loads. And I'm telling you, point blank and with the backing of years of experience in my job doing everything from building massive strainers, to structures for large scale installations, that what you're saying is fallacious at best. And I don't know why you're doubling down on it, because the flip side of trivializing a very real issue is that someone can potentially wind up hurt. So... cut it out.

The brass tacks, the inescapable truth, is that sag under weight is highly possible with Sentinel. The screw doesn't necessarily have to even work itself loose again, or disengage; we don't even know what system it's threaded into and how it maintains hold, which creates a massive variable that everyone should put into their mental calculus. What we DO know is that it lacks detents. Full stop, that is the main issue. This is parking a car on a hill without pulling the brake, or turning your wheels. Those other aspects of directional control of your car exist as stopping measures should one single component stop working right, and they're brought up to drivers for a reason.

From a safety perspective, no reasonable person should put this thing anywhere near glass.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:31 am

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:43 pm
Also waiting on my 3rdImage

Fantastic setup, by the way. You reminded me it's long past time to get one of those knockoff ice effects from eBay, looks really cool around the Sentinel's foot. Is that the only one you have? It's the blue color one, right? I'm thinking about getting several blues, as well as a clear, purple, and black one. Have you found yourself wanting more of them, or differently-colored ones?
thanks! Lol, just me flooding around for now, I got these for my asgard display, they're blue, definitely wanting a clear or white set now to better match retro iceman. And with the space I have, I kinda want to make a custom ice slide now

Guardianmonkey
Avengers Assemble

Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:46 am

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:31 am
.... And with the space I have, I kinda want to make a custom ice slide now

A custom ice slide that can double as a stabilizing ... thing for the Sentinel has been on my mind all day. Maybe some sort of spiral up around one of or both legs. I've tried a few times before to make an ice slide/ramp (using a variety of materials, mostly hot glue) but I haven't quite gotten the knack yet. I'll be hunting down YouTube tutorials and burning my fingers for a while.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:15 am

jimbles wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:11 pm
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:42 pm
Every shelf in every bookcase/display case we own could similarly be said to hinge upon a single screw failing to bring it all tumbling down, yet somehow they seem to hold their 50 to 100 pound load anyway. What's your fear here--that the screw will snap? They loosen when worked, but is there reason to think they're also too weak for the Sentinel's weight? They definitely won't keep turning (loosening) if the joints are still.
I don't get what you're trying to say here because the analogy falls flat. Probably because it's not based on anything of solid reason. I work a blue collar job. In fact, joint assembly with wood and screws is a cornerstone of my job, as well as considering weight and structural loads. And I'm telling you, point blank and with the backing of years of experience in my job doing everything from building massive strainers, to structures for large scale installations, that what you're saying is fallacious at best. And I don't know why you're doubling down on it, because the flip side of trivializing a very real issue is that someone can potentially wind up hurt. So... cut it out.

The brass tacks, the inescapable truth, is that sag under weight is highly possible with Sentinel. The screw doesn't necessarily have to even work itself loose again, or disengage; we don't even know what system it's threaded into and how it maintains hold, which creates a massive variable that everyone should put into their mental calculus. What we DO know is that it lacks detents. Full stop, that is the main issue. This is parking a car on a hill without pulling the brake, or turning your wheels. Those other aspects of directional control of your car exist as stopping measures should one single component stop working right, and they're brought up to drivers for a reason.

From a safety perspective, no reasonable person should put this thing anywhere near glass.
So….balancing this on wine glasses over a tile floor is not the best display option?

Personally, if I’m worried about this thing falling putting it inside a display case seems like the best option. The shelf isn’t going to collapse under the weight of the sentinel on its own. The sentinel won’t fall far if it does. A tilt from the sentinel isn’t going to generate enough force to break any of the walls of a display case. There simply won’t be enough space to accelerate the sentinel to the point that it could break a display case.

And if all else fails, why are we ignoring fishing line??

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”