MARVEL SELECT - Scarlet Witch

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
User avatar
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader
Location: I'm with Iron Man.
Posts: 19667
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:17 am

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:14 pm

Picked up Human Torch at a comic shop.

Articulation is not great, especially compared to Titanium Man. Torch has the DCUC style hips, which I don’t like. Elbows and knees are ball joints, so they only get to 90 degrees.

But besides the lack of range of motion, the rest of the figure is beautiful. I just love translucent figures, and Torch looks amazing. The translucent reds and yellows pick up the light beautifully. The flame base looks so impressive in person. The flame blasting hands look fantastic. Love how he’s shooting five flames from the left hand. Both head sculpts are great. The big selling point for me was the Android Torch head and that you can swap out the 4 on his chest. This is the first action figure of Android Torch, right?

Overall, while the articulation is limiting, after he’s on his flame base, Torch looks amazing! I’m happy that Titanium Man opened my eyes to how nice Marvel Select figures are.

Just a quick pic by a window:

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Rogers1938
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Metter, GA
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:29 pm

crackhead9000 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:25 pm
Just to do some level setting:

The hands fit, but it is a loose fit and the reds are deeper on the Select figure.

I'd be very surprised if they built this with the intention of Legends cross play, but we collectors have been doing that with the dios and accessories for years.

Finally, I think there are more Select collectors than you'd realize. The Fwoosh is primarily a 1/12 scale site, so the engagement here for 1/10, 1/6, and 1/18 scales is definitely under-represented.

When you start seeing saltiness coming from Select collectors on this thread, it's usually because people are saying "Why don't they just make more crossover figures that fit in with Legends? They're stupid and will never last if they keep making these out of scale human-sized figures."

And look, I get it. I mix my Selects with Legends AND have a dedicated Select display. However, Diamond Select has been making these Marvel Select figures for almost 20 years (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think next year is the 20th anniversary of the Ultimate WWII Captain America figure, which I believe was their first). They started out as McFarlane-esque preposed figures with great paint and sculpts, and developed from there. People have been saying for 20 years that they're stupid for making this decision or that, but MAYBE they have a pretty decent idea of what they're doing. They've had the license longer than Hasbro, after all, so perhaps we should stop worrying about their decision making process and acknowledge that this line has longevity.

Sometimes, not all the time, Legends collectors come into this thread and trash something just because it doesn't fit into their collection (which it was never intended to do). Nobody is saying you can't cross pollinate, but think about how silly and frustrating it would be if Select collectors were constantly popping up in Legends threads claiming that they're not going to buy something because it doesn't work for their collection.

TLDR- I'm not trying to start a Legends/Select civil war. I enjoy both, and mix and match freely. I just think that there's a way of having that conversation without completely dismissing the products that are outside of our normal purview. Peace.
Here here!!!

I for one, am exhausted that Marvel Legends is better than Select because x, y, and z. I think people can enjoy both Select and Legends. It doesn't have to be either or. It can be both. Or whatever the collector wants to do with his money. But to think that Legends is the only way... well to sort of borrow a phrase - that is not the way.

What is the way? Enjoy your plastic crack people! And let others enjoy what they enjoy as well.

Okay... how about some more gorgeous photos of Torch? Really excited about this release. I had the McDonalds Torch figure from the 90s FOREVER and loved him. The Legends Torch was a personal favorite. So I am excited to pick up this guy.

MSWord - you guys have been really killing with the figures this year! The Hulk and Iron Man figures are some of the best releases for me this year.
User avatar
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Just north of 'the D'
Posts: 6634
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:31 am

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:47 pm

Akatsuki wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:14 pm
Picked up Human Torch at a comic shop.

Articulation is not great, especially compared to Titanium Man. Torch has the DCUC style hips, which I don’t like. Elbows and knees are ball joints, so they only get to 90 degrees.

But besides the lack of range of motion, the rest of the figure is beautiful. I just love translucent figures, and Torch looks amazing. The translucent reds and yellows pick up the light beautifully. The flame base looks so impressive in person. The flame blasting hands look fantastic. Love how he’s shooting five flames from the left hand. Both head sculpts are great. The big selling point for me was the Android Torch head and that you can swap out the 4 on his chest. This is the first action figure of Android Torch, right?

Overall, while the articulation is limiting, after he’s on his flame base, Torch looks amazing! I’m happy that Titanium Man opened my eyes to how nice Marvel Select figures are.

Just a quick pic by a window:

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can he be fudged as as Legends Hammond or is he too tall?

EDIT: Watched a review, too tall. Not surprising but sometimes Selects can fit.
User avatar
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 9081
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:35 am

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:51 pm

I picked up Loki/Kid Loki and Sandman from Select this year. Both are absolutely beautiful figures. It’s been a while since I got any MS figures (maybe Destroyer?) but these two are top notch.

Titanium Man shipped from BBTS. Very hyped! Haslab Sentinel is coming this week as well - I hate to say it considering the cost but I’m honestly more excited to get Boris…
User avatar
Arise Serpentor
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1004
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:45 pm

I actually like Selects better.
User avatar
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader
Location: I'm with Iron Man.
Posts: 19667
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:17 am

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:06 pm

sepster wrote:
Akatsuki wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:14 pm
Picked up Human Torch at a comic shop.

Articulation is not great, especially compared to Titanium Man. Torch has the DCUC style hips, which I don’t like. Elbows and knees are ball joints, so they only get to 90 degrees.

But besides the lack of range of motion, the rest of the figure is beautiful. I just love translucent figures, and Torch looks amazing. The translucent reds and yellows pick up the light beautifully. The flame base looks so impressive in person. The flame blasting hands look fantastic. Love how he’s shooting five flames from the left hand. Both head sculpts are great. The big selling point for me was the Android Torch head and that you can swap out the 4 on his chest. This is the first action figure of Android Torch, right?

Overall, while the articulation is limiting, after he’s on his flame base, Torch looks amazing! I’m happy that Titanium Man opened my eyes to how nice Marvel Select figures are.

Just a quick pic by a window:

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can he be fudged as as Legends Hammond or is he too tall?

EDIT: Watched a review, too tall. Not surprising but sometimes Selects can fit.
I know you answered your own question, but for my perspective, I would say yes and no. In terms of height in a vanilla standing pose, then no, this Torch is tall and is 7” scale.

But in terms of head size, then yes, this Torch’s head sculpts are small enough that they could work as either 6” or 7” scale. Head size is the same as several Marvel Legends figures.

Really the height is all in the long legs and torso. Head size, arm length, and hand size all work fine as 1:12 scale in my opinion, and arguably are more 1:12 scale than they are 7” scale.

On the awesome fire base, I don’t think it matters since he’s flying above and most likely a little behind other figures. It’s nice as a stand-alone figure, and I think it could work with either scale if you use the flame base. As you can tell, I love how Torch looks on the base, and that’s the only way I would display him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2894
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:58 pm

Akatsuki wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:06 pm
Head size, arm length, and hand size all work fine as 1:12 scale in my opinion, and arguably are more 1:12 scale than they are 7” scale.
It would be an argument that you'd lose. Just like the oversized duck feet that they put on their figures, Hasbro designs their toys with balloon heads. If you look at basically every other 1/10 line, Legends have heads as big or bigger than them.
User avatar
heinousjoe
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Posts: 8052
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:04 am

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:18 pm

Anyone hear anything about the Watcher reissue release date?
User avatar
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: CT
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:29 am

Love Titanium Man! I like the scale.
ImageTitanium Man Recreate 01 by Flexion Dynamo, on Flickr
TheJoker
Some people call him Maurice
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: NYC
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:09 pm

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:58 pm

Happy to report that my replacement Titanium man from Amazon has no joint issues whatsoever! (If anything....maybe a bit loose in the ankles but that's better than stuck to me)
Glad they still had him in stock and was able to get a replacement.
User avatar
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: CT
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:55 pm

Nice, Only problem I have was paint peeling at the joint but I'm fine with the green plastic color.
User avatar
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: CT
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:55 pm

heinousjoe wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:18 pm
Anyone hear anything about the Watcher reissue release date?
I believe early October
User avatar
Thor-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 1758
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:44 pm

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:13 am

Grrr…BBTS sent me a “processing soon” email like two weeks ago and it STILL hasn’t come in! ARGH!!
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: WV
Posts: 4012
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:42 am

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:44 am

Yeah, my Titanium Man is still at “preorder.” I’m really not impressed by BBTS lately.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 10377
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:17 am

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Silver Centurion and Titanium Man pics

Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:47 am

Mines in my pol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”