ML Firestar - Filling The Gap FINISHED + Classic Mockingbird

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

ML Firestar - Filling The Gap FINISHED + Classic Mockingbird

Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm making a George Perez-style Firestar out of the just-released Firestar. Everyone's holy grail is not close enough for me. :)

After so much painful boiling, twisting, pulling and X-acto'ing I FINALLY got her neck out. HOLY CRAP, HASBRO. Your safety standards are superb. And incredibly irritating. :)

This is what she looks like in pieces. I want to fill the gap.

I thought about just cutting down the collar and putting it back, but that's gonna look janky and have jagged edges. I thought about using another figure's upper torso, but I will never get the yellows to match.

My proposed solution: fill in the gap with black paint, since that's what's going there anyway, place the neck and let it dry. I don't sculpt, even something as simple as this. I'm hoping the black will disguise most of the issues, since it will also cover most of the neck peg.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?
Diddy310
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: ML Firestar - Filling The Gap

Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:41 pm

Do Dani Moonstar's yellows match? IIRC her upper torso is cast in yellow with a black neck joint.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:34 pm

I don't have a Dani. I think the new Target Rogue is the same shade of yellow, but I'd have to eliminate too much green and black to make that work.
Atkirkp
Faster than a speeding bullet

Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:16 am

Would it not be simpler to track down a ML Hellcat figure an use that as the base? You'd just have to give the Hellcat body some different hands .
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:19 am

The only problem with this Firestar is this neck issue. I’m painting all the red bits to black and bam - one of my favorite looks is on my shelf.
Discogod
prefers hot chicks to Fwooshers

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:31 pm

I'd just fix the neck in and fill the gap with Apoxie - I did something similar for the grey Widow figure. Just filling the gap with paint is going to be very messy and will look like shit.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: ML Firestar - Filling The Gap + Classic Mockingbird

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:40 pm

Finished!

I did end up sculpting a neck for her from scratch, and that was HARD. I'm not good with organic/smooth stuff.

Also finished my classic Mockingbird, but not entirely thrilled with the reused Firestar head. The pointy mask seemed to be the most iconic part and this is close. Almost tried House of X Jean, but didn't feel right. I'm sure now that I've put the effort in Hasbro will definitely announce one ASAP. :)

And now in place: :)

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”