Pork Grind help?

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Pork Grind help?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 am

So...everyone I've seen who's done the Disney Toybox Venom body for the ML Pork Grind head has said "minimal modding" needed.

Umm...this isn't "minimal"...lol

PG has a vertical connection, and Venom has a horizontal one.

Not to mention it's two female sockets, as the Venom heads have the pegs, not the torso.

I was expecting to have to fill PG's socket with hot glue to make the hole smaller, or dremel the Venom peg to fit PG's socket...not this.

So, any advice?

(Sorry for my hands - I hate when people take pics like that, but at least my nails are short & clean?)
causelessdemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Pork Grind help?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:34 am

I'd almost take the neck joint from the original figure and cement it in to the torso with epoxy or something. Then sand and trim to fit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:00 am

It's not a joint, though, it's just a peg. And the open mouthed throat goes back to the base of the peg, so even carving up the original heads wouldn't give me much of anything to stick out. And I'd still have to fill in PG's head, and drill a new hole in the back...this is not "minimal modding," like everyone has said multiple times. This is severe, major customization.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:36 am

If you never intend to use the Venom head again, I wonder if just cutting the jaw off and grinding what's left down to a nub so it fits in the ML neck joint wouldn't be a solid option.

That way the neck joint could still work like it was originally.
causelessdemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:46 pm

Yeah, I didn't really pay enough attention when I read this initially, my bad. So when I started mine I was using a heavily modified and shortened dcsh Parasite and spliced in the ball joint from a ML Venom. So that's sorta where I thought you were going with this.

Grinding the peg off the Venom head and attaching to the Pork Grind head might be your best option, but you'll only hey a fixed rotation joint. It might be more advanced to use a ball joint and fuse it with the body, but you'll get more posing options out of it. I guess my only other suggestion is that if you aren't comfortable making these mods, maybe see if anyone else in the community can give you a hand.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:21 pm

I apologize if my tone is misinterpreted as harsh or snarky, as it's hard to convey tone in text, but none of those suggestions still address the fact that the connections are positioned incompatibly. He'll be looking straight down, lol.

I need, like, a curved "L" joint.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:53 am

So, I watched a couple of YouTube videos describing how they did this custom - and in both of them they drilled a new hole in the back of the Pork Grind head and positioned the ball joint peg going it at an almost 90 degree angle to how it would go naturally. They also drilled a littel extra space in the Toy Box venom body to accommodate the peg better. The head then sits facting forward in front of the delts of the venom body. In one of the videos the guy didn't even bother filling in the original hole in the bottom of the head since it wasn't visible in a front facing pose.

So, like you said it's more work that a simple head swap and might be considered more than a Minor mod.

I dealt with the same issue trying to convert some old Toy Biz 4" figures of Hulk and Thing into dwarf figures for MOTUC. With those I ended up sculpting up the upper chest and reforming the neck and reorienting the neck hole to go straight up and down - but I was planning to fully paint those figures anyway, so the extra sculpting i had to do wasn't a big deal.

On this, the whole point of using the ToyBox Venom is to match the head to the body without needing any paint - so reorienting the hole to the back of the head makes more sense.
Dr Baghead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:15 am

Fill the hole in Venom’s neck with hot glue, stick the Pork Grind head in the glue. The end

That’s how I did, that’s how America does it, and it’s worked pretty well so far.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:32 am

Dr Baghead wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:15 am
That’s how I did, that’s how America does it, and it’s worked pretty well so far.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:34 am

PantherCult wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:53 am
So, I watched a couple of YouTube videos describing how they did this custom - and in both of them they drilled a new hole in the back of the Pork Grind head and positioned the ball joint peg going it at an almost 90 degree angle to how it would go naturally. They also drilled a littel extra space in the Toy Box venom body to accommodate the peg better. The head then sits facting forward in front of the delts of the venom body. In one of the videos the guy didn't even bother filling in the original hole in the bottom of the head since it wasn't visible in a front facing pose.

So, like you said it's more work that a simple head swap and might be considered more than a Minor mod.

I dealt with the same issue trying to convert some old Toy Biz 4" figures of Hulk and Thing into dwarf figures for MOTUC. With those I ended up sculpting up the upper chest and reforming the neck and reorienting the neck hole to go straight up and down - but I was planning to fully paint those figures anyway, so the extra sculpting i had to do wasn't a big deal.

On this, the whole point of using the ToyBox Venom is to match the head to the body without needing any paint - so reorienting the hole to the back of the head makes more sense.
Hurm...I do appreciate the clarification & advice, thank you. I'm gonna hafta at least try that out, as Venom wasn't cheap. Stupid internet, making me think it'd be easier...

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”