Chrome Paint Recommendation and Fixing Loose Socket Joints

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
dangerboy616
I wish I had super powers
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Chrome Paint Recommendation and Fixing Loose Socket Joints

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:52 am

Hi All,

I've been customizing marvel legends figures since last January. I'm working on custom of new mutants Majik and would like to chrome her sword-wielding arm. Can anyone suggest a good chrome paint to use? I have tamiya metallic silver and I'm not getting the results I would like but have little experience outside of tamiya and vallejo paints (and with chrome in general).

Also, I'm using the upper body of legends X-23 and have made the arm socket too wide for interchangeable arms (one fits fine, the other is windmill looooose. I tried using crazy glue on both the socket and the loose shoulder joint but it's not working. I've stockpiled a bunch of x-23s when they went on sale and would prefer not to use another piece if I can help it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Chrome Paint Recommendation and Fixing Loose Socket Joints

Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 am

Maybe try some Molotov Chrome markers for Magik? As for X-23, I'd put some sculpting putty inside that socket, coat the shoulder peg in oil and push it in. The oil should prevent it from getting fused to your putty.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Chrome Paint Recommendation and Fixing Loose Socket Joints

Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:18 pm

How are you applying the chrome and what is your comfort level with brush or spray?

In my experience going for a chrome finish by applying paint with a brush won't work. You just can't get the smooth surface and thin layers required for the finish to be glossy with a brush.

The easiest application, as Shinigami_PL mentioned, is to try markers.

I use airbrush when I'm going from a reflective surface, but there are some steps to follow. For Colossus here (custom on the left, stock on the right) I did one layer primer, one layer gloss black, one layer Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome:

The idea is to have a very thin layer of chrome over the base color as it is actually some of the base color showing through that gives a surface the look of chrome.

I did the same process on this Nova (with the added step of one layer of clear yellow over the chrome layer) and if I were to re-do it, I would have sprayed the chrome layer a little thinner to try to gain a little more reflection.

Having said all of that I have seen some good results with the markers but it may depend on how smooth your surface is and if there a lot of creases and such in the sculpt.

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”