A few questions...

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
Professor
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

A few questions...

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:58 pm

I am resurrecting my question thread, as it was lost in the Fwoosh snappening. It is such a shame as I often referred back to all the excellent advice provided by you customizers out there.

I am working a custom Ghost Spider (not Gwen) and have one of those Dormammu flaming skulls. I hope to pop the flames off, paint the skull, and reattach the flames. I tried boiling water and attempted to peel it off like getting hair off. It was not go and I feared tearing the flame piece. Any tips?
causelessdemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: A few questions...

Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:28 pm

I usually use a sculpting tool and pry slowly under the bits I'm trying to remove. Heating it should help, but the plastic the flame is made of would also likely get very soft and might tear like you said.

I'd say keep it cool and just work slowly, the glue used to hold the parts together might be easier to break than to break down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Professor
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. That is a bit of a bummer; I get impatient and rush at times. I was hoping it'd peel away like hair. Oh well.

Second question for the experts. I got some resin head casts and I am ready to start painting. Do resin sculpts need to be primed or can you just paint?
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:43 am

I think it's best to prime them, or there's a good chance the paint won't adhere properly. I know I tried to skip it once and the paint flaked off the head after it dried and something brushed against the side of the head.
Discogod
prefers hot chicks to Fwooshers

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Give the casts a good scrub in warm soapy water and use your usual primer. Only time I don't prime my casts is when they're cast in the appropriate colours.
Professor
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I suspected it would be best to prime but I guess I was being lazy and in hurry in my quest to finish something.
Professor
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:00 pm

Alright, new question. I have two customs projects entering the final throes. I have painted, will be sealing, and then reassembling. I took everything apart using boiling water and then painted. I assume throwing things back into boiling water would be a bad idea? Would the hear from a blow drier be bad? What tips do you folks recommend?
Discogod

Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:20 am

Professor wrote:
Alright, new question. I have two customs projects entering the final throes. I have painted, will be sealing, and then reassembling. I took everything apart using boiling water and then painted. I assume throwing things back into boiling water would be a bad idea? Would the hear from a blow drier be bad? What tips do you folks recommend?
I put paintbrush handles or dowels slightly larger in diameter than the pegs through the holes. It gives me something to hold on to when I'm painting and when I'm ready to reassemble I can slide them out, push the pegs back in and blast it with a hairdryer to shrink the plastic back to size.
Professor
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:54 am

Discogod wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:20 am
Professor wrote:
I put paintbrush handles or dowels slightly larger in diameter than the pegs through the holes. It gives me something to hold on to when I'm painting and when I'm ready to reassemble I can slide them out, push the pegs back in and blast it with a hairdryer to shrink the plastic back to size.
That is a great idea! I plan to use this moving forward. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
Discogod

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:32 am

No worries! I've been using that trick for years, less so now that I tend to fill in pegholes, but it's still useful for things like ball-jointed torsos.
Professor
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Two more questions for the crowd.

1. I am working on something (nearing completion) but some gold hoop earrings would make it better. Any tips on how to do hoop earrings?

2. I posted two customs in a new thread but I cannot get my images to show. I embed the images like I have previously but the images do not show up. If I right-click and choose open in a new tab it shows the image but not on the Fwoosh page.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Since the forum crash, images have been wonky.

I can't see anything that people post from Instagram or Facebook, and others still show just the word Image in a clickable link.

If you don't yet, I would use image hosting like Flikr or imgur.com . Those seem to be ones that show up the most often on the forum.
Professor
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:28 pm

Thanks for the update SalemCrow. I am glad it wasn't me with the images and guess I will have to look into one of those services.

Still looking for ideas on how to do hoop earrings for a Legends scale figure.

I was also looking for suggestions on an overlay armor piece for a Legends scale figure. I have an idea for Avalanche but need his armor. I cannot think of anything in Legends but was hoping someone might have an idea from WWE or something else that might work.

Thanks again everyone!
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:46 am

For the hoop earrings id suggest making some little circular loops with craft wire that can have one end left as a few mm of exposed point and then use a needle to make ear holes and superglue the earrings into place.

Not sure how good the results will be but I’m pretty sure that’s how I’ve seen some actual action figures do it. I think one of the old Heroes figures was done that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:50 am

Also regarding Avalanche’s armour, do you have a picture reference of what look you’re aiming for to help with suggestions?

If you’re still finding the picture upload matter a chore I suggest using Tapatalk on your phone to do it as it’s made my life much easier to achieve that since my Flickr pics all got lost and now I can annoy other fwooshers with loads of figure suggestions on wish lists when I am bored

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”