3D printed customs: Amazon!

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

3D printed customs: Amazon!

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:24 am

Hey all,

I've been creating 3D printed action figures in 6 and 7 inches as you can see in my custom's gallery thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=90666"
I was going for something closer to the MOTU females in build or what DC does with their 7 inch line, as the regular 6'' DCU and ML females always look so frail with bent plastic legs.

I've created a female base so far that I use to make all the characters and I'm currently working on making what I have so far (as long as it doesn't conflict with any IPs) available through shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/strangefate?sort=newest
I'd be thankful to get some feedback on that stuff. I'd be interested to hear about any questions, concerns, confusion, suggestions, what you would people like to see, what would make that stuff interesting for people etc. ...other than lower prices as there isn't much I can do about that, 3D printing is still rather expensive.

Now, as I move forward I've also been wondering about what I could do to make some of the things I'm doing anyway also work with Hasbro and Mattel figures. While I did some reading on customizing and articulation in general when I started I still have no idea what customizers would consider helpful or what they're used to dealing with.

For example: Heads... I could easily re-export all heads I do to work with ML or DC lines in perfect scale (right now they look good on my 6 inch figure, which is physically a bit stronger/beefier than ML) but I wonder what it would take ?

My question is... Would it make sense to offer heads ready to plug into ML/DC ball joints or are customizers used (and is it easy anyway) to fit any head into any toy line anyway ?
If you think I should built the joint in, does anyone know the diameter of the female ML head ball joint off the bat ?

Same question for hands... Is there a demand for differently posed hands ?
Not sure I'd want to build in the proper ML/DC joint stuff as it may be too much work to alter mine for export tho.

Belts, pouches, weapons and other detached accessories seem straight forward enough. Is there a shortage of something specific that people would like to see more of ?

Thanks for reading and I'd be thankful for any insight and comments on the topic.

Last but no least, some WIPs of coming stuff:
Boxghost
CROM!

Re: 3D printed WIP customs and question for you.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:00 am

Unfortunately there is no standard ML balljoint neck size but there are some commonly used bodies that have the same sized ball/socket. I'm pretty sure the Elektra/Widow/Mystique/Shield/Madame ball and socket is one size and the Hope/Jim Lee Jean one is a similar, but slightly different size. I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure. Hopefully someone can confirm that.

For males, the Bucky Cap body seems to be one of the most commonly used ones so that would be a good ball/socket neck size for normal sized guys.

One other thing, no figures have concaved iris' in their eyes like your sculpts have. The eye is always just one flush shape. That change would make the head sculpts fit in with ML/DCUC much more.
GrownNerd
Sly Seagal is so smooth!

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:59 am

Offering heads and hands is really smart.

Since there isn't really a set standard on the size of the socket under the head for the neck joint to insert into, I think it's better for you to err on the side of making the socket hole smaller rather than bigger. It's easier for customizers to enlarge a hole to fit a larger peg than it is for them to make the socket smaller to fit a smaller head.

And I agree with Boxghost about the concave iris in your sculpt. If you do offer heads, please have those filled in so they match the figures that we've been getting at retail.
mr Articulate
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:22 am

I'd love to see a flexible safari jacket skin (or "Vest") that could slip over a male torso to make a Wonder Man or Bloodstone or maybe even a FA Blade custom.
elvis8batman
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:16 pm

I think offering head casts for DCUC is a great idea, as many unmade characters would only require that and a slight bit of costume sculpting. As far as other body parts go, I think if you could design up a set of flat open palmed hands for running/flying characters like Flash, Superman etc they would be really useful.
mad_harleyq
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:00 pm

I've been following your work, it's pretty impressive. I'm assuming I'm looking at a domino and snowbird wip? I'd probably say you'd have more luck selling character specific items, for instance that snowbird head sculpt. How many of you customizers would make a snowbird just because you had the head to do so? And she has a very specific cape, which I've actually never seen accurately done well on a custom.

There are a few capes I would love to have, like a classic and modern Emma Frost cape, there are plenty of people who are disappointed wolverine series Emma came sans her iconic cape. Your capes look pretty awesome, I'd love to see how flexible they are.

Maybe take a look at the marvel legend top 10 most wanted figures, I know a classic/modern Polaris would sell like crazy and she's been on top of the list for a long time. I'd also keep in mind the DC characters that will never get made for DCUC.

A good idea would also be character specific weapons, I forgot who made those awesome Psylocke psychic knives but even I have one.

Either way I'm looking forward to what you have coming up.
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 pm

The irises are easy to swap out on export, can do that.
The female head ball joint... If there are different ones and going with the smallest one is the best approach, can anyone suggest a ball size (diameter) to work with or knows which figure probably has the smallest ?

Vests... easy enough to do but probably wouldn't make you happy. The flexible material really kills detail fidelity, it wouldn't be very smooth or carry much detail. Plus I'd have to measure some figures and roughly rebuild the torso in 3D for measurements... not a big deal and I'll probably look into it down the road... but the flexible material won't be great the way it prints at this point.

Hands... what would you need or be able to work with. Currently, this is how I print them with my peg on them: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6427 ... c/Hand.jpg
Would that be enough, or I think some of the ML have the back of the hands rounded for their articulation. Which one's better, flat like mine or rounded or something else ?
mad_harleyq
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:46 pm

The peg works for DCUC but keep in mind that it probably won't even fit, DCUC female limbs are extremely thin, the looks more like 5" sized hands.

I think Marvel Legeneds had a more dominant usage in the custom world, you see plenty of DC marvel legends but hardly any Marvel DCUC. So rounded would probably make more sense and it allowed for a hinge.
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:31 am

Rounded sounds good to me for the hands, easy export feature for me to add with 1 click.

mad_harleyq - thanks! ..Snowbird yes, Domino no :) That preview is just a generic setup with all possible combinations. You should be able to get Shield agents, black widows and anything that uses any combination of those belts and gun holsters. Belt buckles are separate and can be swapped out as needed.
I Imagine there's more money in just doing addons to existing lines, but sadly there's less fun there too so I need to find a balance and things I can do, that work for what I want for myself and are flexible enough to work for others too with few tweaks.
Heads/masks are always fun, and hands I can just pose into any pose so that's all easy enough... just need to buy a female ML and then I can check the hand and head sizes.
I'll do more capes for sure. The flexible material may print too rough for some capes especially if you're used to perfectly smooth stuff. The regular material is smooth but more solid.

Thanks for all the comments so far.
elvis8batman
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi Strangefate,

As far as requests/ideas go, what I would love would be for you to make a beefier, blank male body in the style of DCUC, with DCUC articulation, that stands about an inch taller than a regular DCUC male body, so that we can sculpt onto it to make more accurately scaled versions of characters like Bane, Lobo, KGbeast, original Blockbuster, Killer Croc, Atrocitus, Rocket Red etc...

I think if you could scan in or re-create the DCSH/DCUC Mongul body but make it blank, without all the costume details, but with normal boots, normal hands etc then that would be just about right.

Also, I'm sure if you printed out a Scythe for the DCYC Nekron, you'd sell them like hot cakes.

I have some ideas that I'd like to run by you regarding commissions, as I think what you've shown here is amazing and I would love to get some things made this way. So I'll pm you with what I have in mind if thats ok?
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:29 pm

I put this in the wrong thread... but on the topic of doing custom weapons... Skadi's hammer!

Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Hey elvis8batman, I don't really do commissions sorry, just barely have enough time to do my own stuff :/

Any suggestions for things that sounds fun and interesting I'll happily add to the queue, but that's all I can offer.
elvis8batman
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:28 pm

Strangefate wrote:Hey elvis8batman, I don't really do commissions sorry, just barely have enough time to do my own stuff :/

Any suggestions for things that sounds fun and interesting I'll happily add to the queue, but that's all I can offer.
Thats cool, I know how hard it can be to fit in commissions when you have your own stuff you still need to get done. But I would seriously consider doing the Nekron scythe, as you'd sell loads!!
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:31 pm

I'll do the Scythe, shouldn't take more than 30 mins to do and I was thinking of doing a handful of weapons after ordering the next figure print.
If you don't mind me asking... why would that scythe sell ? afaik there were DCUC and DC Direct Necros which I think both came with the scythe. Are that many people still doing Necro customs after that ?

Also, I think it's easy to forget the price of printing, given the size of the scythe and some areas being beefy, printing it at around 6'' would probably come to somewhere around $20. There's ways to drive the price down by hollowing out (and so, use less material) the beefy areas, but this requires a simple hole somewhere around that area, so the printing material can exit and there's no charge.

Are holes of a few millimeter strategically placed a big issue ? I imagine they'd be easy enough to cover for customizers ?

Any other weapons ? ... I'll be doing weapons anyway.
Strangefate
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:41 pm

On the topic of size which Boxghost brought up somewhere else. I've scaled the 6'' figure to fit in as good as possible with both, DCUC and ML figures (in a natural way, not really based on height of females in the toy lines).

She's a bit shorter than regular DCUC males and... ML are tough as their height is all over the place. She's shorther than some, as tall as others, and taller than a few. I mostly only have some old ML lying around and I think their scales keep changing over the years. They don't seem to have a consistent recipe.

That said, I think it is accepted that in these 6 inch scales the females are significantly shorter than males ?

My current 6'' height is: 15.8cm or 6.2 inches to top of skull (not counting hair).

Should I make them shorter ?
Cons of going shorter would be, some loss in small detail fidelity/definition + unnaturally shorter females :mrgreen: ...
Pros would be, full figures would be an additional $1-3 cheaper.

Current 6 inch Gamora & Co:

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”