Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
User avatar
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 23298
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:03 pm

Getting ready to do a 2nd version of Wild Thing, and want to get 3D prints of her psychic claws. Is it possible, or would they be too skinny to be made? Anyone know a good contact, or can anyone here make them? Obviously, I'd pay.

I can't think of any way to sculpt them properly due to their small size.
wild thing.jpg
wild thing.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
wild thing2.jpg
wild thing2.jpg (72.01 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
User avatar
Demjot
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1013
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:09 am

Sorry, I know this response is a bit late, but I think this would be quite easy to model and print on my resin machine! I'd be happy to print them in a clear semi-flexible red material and send them to you if you can pay postage! I'd be a great opportunity for me to experiment with dying my resin. Are you intending to just glue them to regular fists? You'd probably want a bit of that "energy burst" effect at the base right?
User avatar
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 23298
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:42 pm

Demjot wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:09 am
Sorry, I know this response is a bit late, but I think this would be quite easy to model and print on my resin machine! I'd be happy to print them in a clear semi-flexible red material and send them to you if you can pay postage! I'd be a great opportunity for me to experiment with dying my resin. Are you intending to just glue them to regular fists? You'd probably want a bit of that "energy burst" effect at the base right?
That would be amazing! I would very happily compensate you. I will just glue them to regular fists. The energy effect would be important to have. I really look forward to seeing what you can do!
User avatar
Demjot
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1013
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:54 am

TFitz wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:42 pm
Demjot wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:09 am
Sorry, I know this response is a bit late, but I think this would be quite easy to model and print on my resin machine! I'd be happy to print them in a clear semi-flexible red material and send them to you if you can pay postage! I'd be a great opportunity for me to experiment with dying my resin. Are you intending to just glue them to regular fists? You'd probably want a bit of that "energy burst" effect at the base right?
That would be amazing! I would very happily compensate you. I will just glue them to regular fists. The energy effect would be important to have. I really look forward to seeing what you can do!
Quick update for you and any onlookers, I've got the models done. I was a bit unsure of how best to achieve the psychic blast effect on the base of the claws so I tried two different methods, a 3D spiky explosion-like thing, and a "psychic fire" coming off the back in a more 2D way. I think they both look neat in their own way so I'll send you both and you can decide when you see them in person which looks better to you!

Things to note for these WIP pics:
- I dyed the resin with red alcohol ink, which is a fine proof of concept but does not result in the most vibrant color, and because alcohol naturally inhibits the full curing of UV resin this could cause the prints to break down over a longer time. I have a stronger dye that is actually UV resin friendly, and supposedly gives better colors coming in a few days (I was going to do this to do cool spell effects anyways). This will also give me the ability to make the claws a more comic accurate pink color.

-These cost less than 20 cents of resin to print for each claw

-The claws look a bit rougher on surface finish then they will in final because I did not optimize the supports leaving a lot of surface blemishes, I will fix this as much as I can before I send them.

-These are flexible and should not be as brittle as a lot of 3d printing resins tend to be, as seen in the pic where I flex them with my finger

-I broke the claws on the spiky effect one while removing supports because these are auto-supports with no modification and the software decided to make the supports denser than the actual claw :rolleyes:
Spoiler! :
Fire Left, Spiky Right (broken)
Image
Spiky Left, Fire Right
Image
Both fire, better idea of length
Image
Image
Close-ups
Image
Image
Side view to get an idea of claw shape
Image
Texturally they are about as rigid as most of the modern hasbro wolverine claws, but they will bend under pressure to avoid breaking
Image
I should have a finished version like, next week maybe? Depends when my dyes come in, I'll update when I have them!
User avatar
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 23298
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:09 am

Oh. My! Those are going to be perfect! I can't thank you enough for this. I obviously have always really loved this character and it's time to hit my 2.0 custom version of her in earnest now. I'd been putting it off just because I couldn't make proper claws and you make these in just a couple days. The side view really shows them off great.

This is really timing out perfectly with pinless teen legs now out (Spider Gwen) and Shrieks pinless double elbow with shoulder swivel. Tomorrow I start putting her together.

Again, thank you for this!
User avatar
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 23298
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:39 am

So I start putting my Wild Thing pieces together for female double elbows and pinless legs... Come on, Hasbro. Why do you have to change the peg sizes??
Image

Image
User avatar
pulpy fiction
Runs Around in Tights
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: http://www.pulpyfiction.carbonmade.com
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:42 pm

I am loving this thread, not only for the awesome project coming along here, and the amazing parts Demjot has created, but mostly for what occurred here and how awesome this community is! This was cool to see come together like this!
User avatar
FlexionDynamo
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: CT
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Re: Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:27 pm

What program did you model them in?
User avatar
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 23298
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:20 am

pulpy fiction wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:42 pm
I am loving this thread, not only for the awesome project coming along here, and the amazing parts Demjot has created, but mostly for what occurred here and how awesome this community is! This was cool to see come together like this!
Could not agree more! Demjot made my so happy when he responded. I know she will never see a release in Legends, so this is my only way to have her. Still putting my "perfect body" together for her, but I'm nearly there.
User avatar
Demjot
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1013
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:00 am

FlexionDynamo wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:27 pm
What program did you model them in?
I use blender which is free! It can be kind of controversial though, I actually work professionally as an independent 3D artist and most older game industry folks use Maya for hard surface models, I just think blender is better. You can also sculpt in it, though zBrush is still slightly superior for that specific use!

TFitz wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:20 am
pulpy fiction wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:42 pm
I am loving this thread, not only for the awesome project coming along here, and the amazing parts Demjot has created, but mostly for what occurred here and how awesome this community is! This was cool to see come together like this!
Could not agree more! Demjot made my so happy when he responded. I know she will never see a release in Legends, so this is my only way to have her. Still putting my "perfect body" together for her, but I'm nearly there.
Howdy, sorry for taking so long to get back here but I've got a tiny box full of finished claws to show for it!. Here's my long writeup :geek:

Alright so the original pictures where 50% transparent "ABS-Like" resin + 50% Siraya Tech "Tenacious" flexible resin + red alcohol ink. The alcohol ink was mixed directly into the resin before printing which, as I mentioned, is not ideal for long term integrity of the part. I also snapped a bunch of those because I hadn't optimized the support structure for printing them.

So to solve this problem I got CMYK UV resin dye. I must say, this stuff can produce some really vibrant and wonderful colors, I can't wait to try more mixes for stuff in the future. It's also important to note I found the flexibility of the original claws was not ideal due to their thin-ness the material seemed to have issues returning to their original shape after being flexed too much. Enter my new mixtures!

All of the resins in the new batch are actually 30% transparent "ABS-Like" resin + 70% Siraya Tech "Blu" Flexible/Strong resin. This mix feels very similar to the plastic that hasbro uses for their wolverine claws in terms of flexibility and surface strength. They are however still UV resin so this means that if you push them they will shatter, and you probably should not leave them in direct sunlight 24/7 without a UV protective clearcoat or they will likely grow slightly more brittle.

Here are all the claws I will be sending you:
Spoiler! :
From left to right:
1. Printed in CMYK light pink post processed with red alcohol ink (won't effect composition). Vertical supports. Finish is slightly inconsistent and definitely more red then wild things claws typically look to me.
2. Printed in CMYK light pink. Vertical supports. This was my first print with CMYK and I definitely did not use enough for this specific use because I forgot that the thin-ness of the claws would essentially strain out the dye leading to them being closer to the base resin (transparent).
3. Printed in CMYK NEON PINK. Horizontal supports. 20 drops of magenta dye later and finally a beautiful psychic-claw-like pink. This where the only horizontally supported attempt, and as such they are slightly deformed. Kind of gives it a rippling energy effect.
4. Printed in CMYK NEON PINK. Horizontal Supports. bye far my favorite as they're basically perfect prints in that awesome pink!
Image
Image
Image
You get 1 pair of each "psychic explosion" in all the different color mixes since everything looks different in person. Plus you might break one or two you never know. Here's X-23 graciously modelling my favorite set, the neon pink spiky claws:
Spoiler! :
Image
Image
Image
This project has been really fun. I should be able to ship them to you sometime in the next week (if not, before the end of the month) so if you DM me your shipping address I can quote you for the shipping cost. I figured they'll probably be sent in a bubble mailer so I printed a little box for protection.
Click Here&nbsp

The pink gave me a lot of other ideas for myself too :D

Click Here&nbsp
Click Here&nbsp

Really looking forward to seeing how your custom comes out!
User avatar
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 23298
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Wild Thing claws -- Too skinny for 3D printing?

Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:38 am

I'm almost at a loss for words. They're perfect! You absolutely nailed the angle on the tips of her claws and the psychic energy at the base of them.

My smile can't go away because I'm so happy! And a box to boot?! You went over and above, my friend! Over and above.

I really enjoyed reading through your process from how you started to how you finished. That kind of info always intrigues me.

And that effect for Nico.... that detail in there is insane, and those lines are so tiny! It's crazy what can be done nowadays if you have the right skills and tools, and you are incredibly skilled.

So thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so appreciative of this! You've truly made me a happy man.

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”