Four Horsemen - Figura Obscura

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Prophet924
Thwipp!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Four Horsemen - Figura Obscura

Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:42 am

I was curious about that. I saw the review and turned it off so I can be surprised. Nice to hear they didn’t reveal it. I may watch the vids or wait and watch it after I get mine. Seeing the moose in the thumbnail for Toybro makes me want a reindeer more. The moose looks good though.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefamousnicknaro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:06 am

Count Drunkula wrote:
thefamousnicknaro wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:27 pm
I don’t mean to interrupt the Santa talk, but I just lucked into the Headless Horseman at a toy show for $150, which is pretty good, I think. Guy had it marked at $180, but offered it for less without much haggling.
Based on Ebay prices that's damn good - barely more than it originally cost with shipping. Congratulations!
I figured with taxes and shipping it would have been pretty close. I had been kicking myself for not getting it when I had the chance, and my fiancé is a big fan of the Headless Horseman, so when the guy said “$150” my answer was immediately “Done. Sold.”

He also had a request. He said “Do me a favor: open it. Put it on display.” He didn’t know that there was never another option, but that request has been fulfilled.

Grins
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:06 am

thefamousnicknaro wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:06 am

He also had a request. He said “Do me a favor: open it. Put it on display.”

That's a seller I would have been happy to spend more money on. He gets it.
Grins
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:11 am

I looked at Santa this morning, and wasn't in love with it like I was with Headless Horseman or Krampus. My resolve is finite so when I checked again just a few minutes ago he was still available, I caved and bought him. If I'd had my FFF Santa in-hand I might have been able to resist longer.
Shoretrooper69
Super Poseable

Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:14 am

I'm trying to think what could possibly be the secret items, and all I can think of is
Spoiler! :
miniature Mythic Legions? Maybe little toy for a toy sized Father Christmas and Krampus figurines?
spinc
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:09 am

Shoretrooper69 wrote:
I'm trying to think what could possibly be the secret items, and all I can think of is
Spoiler! :
miniature Mythic Legions? Maybe little toy for a toy sized Father Christmas and Krampus figurines?
I agree with the first option, because it makes a lot of sense and it's something that the 4H have talked about doing. I would also love it because I love stuff like that!

But I think it's more likely to be
Spoiler! :
an extra armored head, a naughty children book, a weapon of some kind, or maybe even a spell. Toybro also confirmed that the little toy dog and duck seen in that first photo are in the bag, and that the two spoiler items are so good we'll want to buy more Santas. Which if it is tiny ML figurines would def make me wanna buy more haha.
Whatever it is, it has to be something real good to be kept such a secret. But I also kinda like it, like the 4H put those accessories there so that Santa gives us a present when he arrives. That's honestly so cool and such a nice detail, something that only the 4H do these days. That's the kind of stuff that really makes me love these figures. It's all in the details, as they say!
Count Drunkula
Customized

Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:10 pm

spinc wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:09 am
Shoretrooper69 wrote:
Spoiler! :
I agree with the first option, because it makes a lot of sense and it's something that the 4H have talked about doing. I would also love it because I love stuff like that!

But I think it's more likely to be
Spoiler! :
an extra armored head, a naughty children book, a weapon of some kind, or maybe even a spell. Toybro also confirmed that the little toy dog and duck seen in that first photo are in the bag, and that the two spoiler items are so good we'll want to buy more Santas. Which if it is tiny ML figurines would def make me wanna buy more haha.
Whatever it is, it has to be something real good to be kept such a secret. But I also kinda like it, like the 4H put those accessories there so that Santa gives us a present when he arrives. That's honestly so cool and such a nice detail, something that only the 4H do these days. That's the kind of stuff that really makes me love these figures. It's all in the details, as they say!
Yeah, I'm not forking over sixty bucks plus shipping for a "surprise," sorry. This kind of stuff is why ML collectors are called a cult in the wider community.
Stormbreaker1
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:49 pm

Still tempted here. It’s a lovely figure.

However, whereas the Krampus is unique, and also silly fun, this Father Christmas figure wouldn't really stand out among all the myriad Christmas decorations we have.

But again, I think it’s a great piece.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:15 pm

A cult. That’s freaking hilarious! We call ourselves dedicated enthusiasts.

I agree that the sentiment is definitely that of recreating the wonder and surprise we got as kids Christmas morning. That’s pretty clever and cool.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuzzyBlueDemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:47 pm

I didn't order this one. It looks really cool, but I don't love the 2.0 body & I strongly dislike mixing purple & red in his color scheme. If it was a little cheaper, I might've bit anyway, because the details are lovely as usual.

If I were to guess what a bonus accessory might be, knowing the 4 Horsemen, I'd go with a Grinch-ish head. That would be a pretty cool inclusion for people who want to go more monster-y.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

yorick_skirata
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:31 pm

Since I’m not that much into Christmas, I have no decorations, at all (me and the wife always talk about getting some tree and start some personal tradition, but it never happened). So I think my approach to the figure is different from most.

This interpretation seems folkloric enough for my taste and in no moment I see it as seasonal. It will be a permanent piece in my folklore shelf, with any other Figure Obscura I might get.

Funnily, this line seems to be the one I’ll be more inclined to get almost everything.

I keep thinking of figures I want.
Curupira, chupacabra, leprechaun, Baron Samedi, Shinigami, Davy Jones…
Samalas
Customized

Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:09 pm

Really surprised this is still available. Has anything lasted this long at all?
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:13 pm

He seems to be the longest lasting FO so far. Being ‘another’ Santa with so many Santa options to choose from these days might make him less popular, the opinions in this thread certainly seem to indicate that’s the case for many. It’s also possible after the quick sell out with Krampus last year they made more of Father Christmas this year.
Poe Ghostal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:28 pm

Buttmunch wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:13 pm
It’s also possible after the quick sell out with Krampus last year they made more of Father Christmas this year.
I suspect that's a bigger part of the issue than the design, but I'm sure the design is part of it too. If they'd made a more explicitly "Warrior" Santa it would have made it more "Mythic Legions" as well as more distinct from the NoN Collection.

Personally I love it. I say the more the merr (y Christmas) -er.
Shoretrooper69
Super Poseable

Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:27 am

If the add-to-cart method is accurate, they had around 2900 units as of last night. Now they're around 2300. Depending on word of mouth or whatnot it could last most of this week. Which is fine.

Though I do think going forward maybe nix the apparel and homegoods and do an additional advent calendar style accessory set. Or maybe a less expensive 12 days set that you could open from Christmas until Epiphany. Or whenever you want.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”