Super7 Simpsons

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7 Simpsons

Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:12 pm

I only consider seasons 1-8 cannon. They shouldn't go later than Season 10 or 12 at the most. I don't know anyone that was watching Simpsons in season 27, no one would catch that reference.

Then again, I guess people must still watch it because it's still on the air. But I still think these toys probably appeal more to fans of the earlier seasons.
AgentLionel
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:20 pm

I actually out of curiosity put on Season 30-something and really enjoyed it. I fell out of Simpsons in the early 00s but would check out an ep on broadcast from time to time over the years and was always turned off. It felt like they tried to keep changing the show with the times but lost something important. However, most of the episodes I watched recently seemed like a return to form. Nothing will be as classic as the earlier episodes, but how could they be? Still felt great revisiting Springfield.

Meanwhile my niece has watched every episode of the Simpsons, which floored me. She loves it. Teens and people in their 20's are discovering it for the first time through Disney+. They're selling retro Simpsons shirts at Pac Sun now. To them the don't hug sign might be iconic.
minitaur
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:22 pm

I'm a big Simpsons fan from seasons 1 through 9.

I wasn't collecting during WoS and when I see peoples large displays I am jealous.

I do not collect any animated figures. It's outside of my collecting rules currently. I mostly collect 6" scale comic figures and things that can work with them in a cohesive action scene display. Marvel legends, mafex, gi joe classified, mythic legions.

BUT when the aliens got revealed, I'm suppppeerrrr tempted to get into this line. They look so great.

I hate the character choices they make regarding the family members. I will not buy Bartman or space homer. I want the standard looks. Which at the rate they're going will be ten years if they don't lose the license or go bankrupt by then.

I still don't know where I'd put them, but I'd love:
Regular looks for homer, marge, Bart, Maggie, Lisa
Patty and selma
Chief Wigham and ralph
Burns and Smithers
Krusty and Mel and Bob
Moe and Homer's coworkers and alcoholic friends
Apu but because woke culture we probably can't get him
Skinner and some teachers
Moleman

I'd love to have about 30 to 40 of the core characters without the stupid one off looks.

I also don't feel the need for poochy or itchy and scratchy robots.

They've made some terrible choices IMHO but the aliens are pulling me in potentially.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:57 pm

4-9 are the best.

13 is godawful, and I stopped there.

Though some more recent episodes are pretty great.

Season 24, Episode 13, "Hardly Kirk-ing" is HYSTERICAL, and felt like 4-9 when I first watched it, and it's still great on repeat viewings.

But yeah, 4-9.

I did this for my buddy's & my YouTube debate show lol:

We became friends because of our mutual love of Simpsons.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:14 pm

Most longtime fans cite 1- 8, or if getting more narrow, 3 - 8. There's a reason it falls off there as a lot of the writers and producers were hired to do other shows. They had a mass exodus of talent around that time and the show never really recovered. I think it's been better in recent years, but that's probably because a lot of the people who had early success on the show are back in smaller roles. And Al Jean has been running the show since Season 13 now. Shows that have little canon and all the characters largely stay the same just aren't meant to run for this long because it becomes a challenge to do new things with them. Most of the kids that got sucked in by Bart-Mania are now as old as Homer. It's crazy! Super7 seems to have a mix of employees as far as age goes so it's not a shock to see some later episodes influencing this line. If it were me running the line, Ralph would have an "Idaho" sign (ignoring his attire changed slightly for that scene) and Burns would not come with a copy of Burns Weekly, but Will There Ever be a Rainbow? It's one thing to do an accessory from a later episode, but I wonder if they'll do a figure more obviously taken from one? When we were all spit-balling on what Lisa they'd do I'm pretty sure all of the guesses came from the golden years of the show, but maybe they go later.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:17 pm

The last couple of seasons of the Simpsons have actually been some of the best. It's silly how many people dismiss later episodes of the Simpsons. Don't recall if it was the last season or the one before, where each episode largely focused on someone else in Springfield, but it was fantastic. Of course there are always a few duds here or there but that's with any show.
JRSly
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:00 am

Well, I don't know if it's terribly silly to say, "Hmmm, nearly two decades of mediocre to terrible episodes, better disregard the mountains of prestige TV I have at my fingertips and make a point to check out the latest episode of this husk."

I'm sure there are some winners... I've always wished constant watchers might sift through the muck to brainstorm and put together "greatest hits" seasons for former fans to check out...but i don't think it's unfair to write off a show once the mediocrity reaches into the hundreds.
Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:40 am

I’ve always found the show to be one of those ‘comfort food’ kinds of shows you can have on in the background, not fully paying attention to and yet can enjoy it and not miss any complicated plots. Not unlike the office or Seinfeld. Familiar places and faces and fun times.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:53 am

Buttmunch wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:40 am
I’ve always found the show to be one of those ‘comfort food’ kinds of shows you can have on in the background, not fully paying attention to and yet can enjoy it and not miss any complicated plots. Not unlike the office or Seinfeld. Familiar places and faces and fun times.
I never liked seinfeld.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:56 pm

Hoping this line has success because it seems like the best way to get a Futurama line going! If they do eventually do one I hope they don’t muck about with getting the main crew out in their default looks - Futurama is amazing, but I’m not sure a premium line lasts long enough to get through blue Zoidberg, wooden Bender, and Amy-with-Fry’s-head before getting the standard looks.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:37 pm

I would think Futurama would be more likely to be a standard toy line with all of the heavy hitters as intended since it didn’t have a really successful, and expansive, toy line already. The Toynami stuff only lasted a few waves and was just “meh” for a lot of the characters. I sold most of mine as I preferred the stylized Kid Robot stuff and kept that for a small display.
Nik
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:24 pm

I still have my Toynami Bender, probably my most prized figure in my whole collection. If S7 makes Futurama Ultimates, I will buy all of them no matter what. But if any other company makes Futurama action figures, I will buy all of them no matter what. I would actually prefer more affordable figures, so I'm hoping someone else gets the license to make merch for the new upcoming season.
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:56 pm

JRSly wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:00 am
Well, I don't know if it's terribly silly to say, "Hmmm, nearly two decades of mediocre to terrible episodes, better disregard the mountains of prestige TV I have at my fingertips and make a point to check out the latest episode of this husk."

I'm sure there are some winners... I've always wished constant watchers might sift through the muck to brainstorm and put together "greatest hits" seasons for former fans to check out...but i don't think it's unfair to write off a show once the mediocrity reaches into the hundreds.
People put together Best-Of lists of more recent seasons all the time, especially YouTube animation channels like PhantomStrider. The general consensus is that the best episodes of recent years have been "Holidays of Future Passed" and "Barthood."

AgentLionel wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:20 pm
I actually out of curiosity put on Season 30-something and really enjoyed it. I fell out of Simpsons in the early 00s but would check out an ep on broadcast from time to time over the years and was always turned off. It felt like they tried to keep changing the show with the times but lost something important. However, most of the episodes I watched recently seemed like a return to form. Nothing will be as classic as the earlier episodes, but how could they be? Still felt great revisiting Springfield.

Meanwhile my niece has watched every episode of the Simpsons, which floored me. She loves it. Teens and people in their 20's are discovering it for the first time through Disney+. They're selling retro Simpsons shirts at Pac Sun now. To them the don't hug sign might be iconic.
One of the things about the Simpsons is that it outlasted and reshaped the cultural landscape it was meant to satirize, so it struggled to find an identity after that. I suspect that younger people getting into the show don't see as much of a difference between eras, because a lot of the elements of the early show that are specifically pointed at the 90s probably just seem like non sequitur humor or the show's unique weirdness.
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:14 pm

Hey, did anyone else get BBTS emails about product delays? Because it looks like Wave 1 got pushed back to November and Wave 2 to March of next year. Oof.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:33 am

Yes i got the email. bart and krust moved to March. i have no problem with that cuase im not readi.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”