Toys you love based on properties you don't.

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Toys you love based on properties you don't.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:38 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:37 am
KnightDamien wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:02 am
TheSameIdiot wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:52 am
My collection would spiral out of control if I bought things from properties I wasn't attached to.
Oh yeah. For sure. That's the OOooOOoOOonly way your collection WOULD spiral out of control. For sure. Since you never break that rule, you're definitely totally in complete control.

Hey, I've got a list. I never buy anything outside of it. Or almost never. Well, sometimes. :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Actual photograph of TSI's toy-buying list:

Chooch
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:45 am

I only watched a handful of Gargoyles episodes and had zero toys, but the NECA Goliath will be my first ever NECA purchase.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:59 am

My GI Joe Baroness just arrived. No attachment at all to Joe, but she always looked cool from online pics and since I'll never see her in a store the only way to ever SEE her for myself was to buy one. I also have the movie Scarlet on order because she looks great.

But it's actually Star Wars for me as well. I've watched most of the media (still haven't seen Rebels or Bad Batch), but I'm way more into the figures than the media. Like, I haven't watched any of the first six films in over a decade, probably closer to 15 years. They are still pretty much burned into my brain, but I don't love them. But the figures... different story.

I'm also buying some of the Power Rangers Lightning figures for seasons I never watched and never will watch just because the unmasked alt heads are really well-done. Not sure what I'm going to use them for, but they are really good.
Deckard
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:15 am

Spawn. So many great creatures. Little interest in the comic.
KingoftheNorth
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:51 am

I preordered Neca’s American Werewolf because it just looks incredible, and a perfect beasty for someone like Solomon Kane to battle
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:27 am

Super 7 thundercats (seen the 2011 series), gi joe classified, mcfarlane warhammer I know very little of their series but collect what I like from their lines
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:48 am

The only time I ever bought figures from a property I knew nothing about was Streetfighter (SOTA). I only got them for the interesting articulation and paints. I sold em way back. No real connection. That's it. Every other part of my collection is based on stuff I'm pretty familiar with.

Perhaps the only exception could be Mythic Legions, but it was brand spanking new to everyone when it emerged.
Reefer Shark
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:19 am

Im gonna go with McFarlanes Warhammer & Mortal Kombat lines. Little to zero interest in the properties, but damn the figures are so cool! At $20 a pop, I find it impossible to resist when I come across them at Target.
Xnbach
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:23 am

Mythic Legions probably counts. I mean, they have a whole epic backstory and video game coming out, but I don't really care. They are just awesome fantasy characters that I use as random awesome fantasy characters. For instance, Thistlethorn is supposed to be keeper of the stuff, but I use him as a fantasy martial artist.

I think a lot of us are in the same boat with Jazware Fortnite figures. I don't care about the game at all, but the skins are awesome and I love adding weird figures to my collection. Because I have no idea what their story is if any, I just make stuff up based on how they look.(Meowscles looks like a private eye to me and the Brat looks like an annoying Youth Pastor who tries too hard to be hip and cool with the kids)

For G.I. Joe, I have some idea who everyone is supposed to be, but Real American Hero was just after my time so for me they are just cool agents and bad guys that in my head honestly have more to do with O.S.I than G. I. Joe (eventually there will be enough Joe figures that I can kitbash a Shoreleave, lol)
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Yeah, Mythic Legions is probably going to be the top answer. I think most people have their own personal continuity for the figures.

At this point a lot of my stuff is themed displays. I have a space display that's going for an 70s-80s anime feel, centered around the Marvel Legends Starforce against the SW Black Guavian Enforcers. I'm building a martial arts display with Shang-Chi and Articulated Icons stuff.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:16 pm

Honestly, it's difficult for me to think of any toys I have that are both loved and from a property I also love. I've never given much care for GI Joe lore but the RAH line is the greatest toyline ever produced. Star Wars is probably the greatest *license* ever given out to toy makers, but both the old Kenner figures and Hasbro's ass-stupid insistence on them thoroughly-shiat VOTC hips means 99% of Star Wars figures ever made have been deeply-flawed from the get-go (the modern AstroMechs are pretty much the only figures that can't be fundamentally improved). The BossFight storyline of 'Medusa gets revenge on the whole goddamn universe' is very cool and the figures are great but they've gotten a bit bogged down with other things than that storyline and they haven't connected the Fantasy stuff to Medusa yet that I've seen.

Like the toys, don't care for the license:
Fortnite

Halo

BossFight Zorro. I've become a fan of Alex Raymond's art on the Flash Gordon comic he created but the movie never caught my attention due to my not liking Queen and all that goddamned chrome glare in the movie. Disco was great but the design aesthete of the time was steaming ass.

Bandai's Kiwami Tamashii line has some of the hands-down most gorgeous 18th figures *ever* made but hell if I even know WTF Kamen Rider and GARO are even about.

Toy Notch's Lost Planet, Acid Rain World, MicroMan's VOTOMS, etc are all bitchin' sweet mecha-based lines from storylines that don't work well with any other toylines I have (assuming I even know them) I have so their canon got tossed out of my head.

Like the license, but the toys are ass:
For every license Mattel has they make the worst shit-tier figures on the 18th market *constantly* about ten years behind the state-of-the-art - and then they consistently put out some of the best 18th-scale vehicles (or vehicle-pricepoint dinos). The Captain Power figures were garbage when they were proto-sculpted but those vehicles still shame a lot of what comes out 40years later.

Hiya has some very cool licenses but their engineering is lackluster. They keep making figures that fight against their own articulation - although the G1 RoboCop buck is *very* nice.

There's no such thing as a good Star Trek line in 18th scale, although the Galoob TNG vehicles were nice enough.

Having a divide between the toys I love and the properties I love is dead-flat *normal* in my experience. BossFight's Umbrella Academy line will be one of the first times where both happen together, I hope (and I'd still prefer the comic versions).
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:41 pm

I have always been just aware of Sam and Max. I certainly saw tons of ads in gaming magazines back in the day for them and I've seen a couple episodes of the short-lived animated series. I should have no attachment to the franchise, but the figures from Boss Fight Studio just looked so fun to me that I ended up buying them. They're definitely not priced to be an impulse buy, but it somehow worked on me and they've been hanging out on my desk ever since.

TFitz
Master of Avatars

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:47 pm

ThreeA Transformers. I have zero attachment to the property but the figures are awesome!

Same for Fortnite and MOTU (though I sold most of them off now).
spongyblue
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:14 am

Add yet another for Fortnite. I felt like a geriatric playing that game and gave up 40 minutes in. But the designs? Fantastic, and the figures have totally drawn me in. I have a gang of Wildcards to fight Batman or Spiderman, a few odd spacemen to challenge the Fantastic Four, and a family of Banana Boys to confuse and entertain the world.

I've picked up quite a few Power Rangers. I was just past the target demographic when the show debuted in 93 and it was just a little too campy for me, but i always had a slight appreciation for the designs. I mostly collect the evil rangers, a few of the support characters and any black ranger. The current comic book has been surprisingly engaging and i think its the first new title in a number of years that I've read every issue. I really hope more of the comic designs get picked up as they just scream to be made into figures.
ShadowBlaze
I wish I had super powers

Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:41 am

NECA Predators. Never read the comics, didn't own any '90s Kenner figures, fell asleep ten minutes into the first movie.

...But NECA Preds are just amazing figures. Incredible sculpted and painted detail; wise and surprisingly creative use of shared parts; impressive assortment of alternate heads and hands in the Ultimates format. I disliked the '90s toy line because they were too gimmicky, too toyetic, and too off-model from the on-screen Yautjas; somehow, NECA's use of bold colours and occasional new parts have made their Kenner homages some of the best figures in the line. I don't typically care for toys based on non-canon material, weird crossovers, or mash-ups with disparate properties, but my first dip in the pool was Big Red, and my hands-down favourite Predator is the NYCC 2019-exclusive Sinestro Corps Predator.

McFarlane Toys' Warhammer 40K. No interest in the game whatsoever, but I've quickly amassed a nice selection of Space Marines and Battle Sisters, with more on pre-order.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”