D20Studio Wolves

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: D20Studio Wolves

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:11 am

2000 units total for all 3 or each?
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:18 am

God help me. I preordered the grey version via 5Ktoys.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:46 am

[email protected]#$! I thought I'd be all-in on these, but that price is insane. Never would have thought they'd be half that. I'm out before I ever got in.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:28 am

DennyCrane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:11 am
2000 units total for all 3 or each?
2Kgs each so about 4 lbs.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:29 am

Ash Talon wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:18 am
God help me. I preordered the grey version via 5Ktoys.
I’m leaning towards the grey one too but hoping the price drops a bit.
Mongoose
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:47 am

When I saw the pics, I knew I had to get one. When I saw the price, I knew I didn't need one. That price is completely effin ridiculous. Even the 5ktoys price is too much.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:47 am

I really thought these would be an auto-buy for me but man that's a lot of scratch. I could have seen myself going up to $100 for one but almost two bills is hard to justify. That's two waves from a mainstream line.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:44 pm

I ain't got the money to help him but I told Jason he needs one to have some promo pics of albino Ape Pale riding into battle on an albino warwolf. I need to see those pics, y'all.
Deckard
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:11 pm

Yeah, they are awesome but I can't justify that price either.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:33 pm

I'm guessing the bone armor pieces add $15-20 or more to the cost of this thing. I can see some use for the saddle, but I could have done without all the bone armor. Just detracts from the beautiful wolf sculpt.
dayraven
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:29 pm

yeah, i too was super excited, till that price tag got exposed. sweet fancy moses. i was just looking at a big steel griddle for my kitchen and trying to talk my wife into letting me spend $169 bucks for it... and then these pop up and it's rather immediately fresh in my head what else that much money can buy. they look great, but they're not 3/16 inch of steel over all four burners great.

that said, i can't entirely fault them here, prices for this hobby have gone nuts in the last two decades. i don't think for a second most of the prices we're paying for mezco, sh figurarts, mafex, etc... are warranted. look what subpar7 are asking for the silverhawks and yet a small time studio like xesray can produce those badass gladiators for less... we've spoiled subpar 7 because we paid them already for mattel remolds, so they think they can keep charging us those prices. i've seen all kinds of excuses for why figures are so expensive, but they simply don't match cost increases with other products of similar composition and manufacturing processes. for years we heard it was steel prices for the molds, until you look at actual steel prices and they don't mesh, then we heard cost of oil to produce the plastic, until you look at the last 50 years of oil prices and realize that vintage Castle Grayskull should have cost twice what Classics Castle Grayskull did based on oil prices, and now we hear paint is expensive... except mezco sells some the most expensive figures right now, and they don't paint them much at all. oh, and soft goods are super expensive they tell us... until you commission somebody who knows what they're doing and get a custom piece made for a very reasonable charge. i love how the industry is constantly talking about scale as if it's the albatross around their neck. look, mass production LOWERS cost, overseas production LOWERS cost, no studio is making fewer capes than daredevil19 is, but his wares are cost effective for what i'm buying. they must assume we're too addicted to not pay them, and in some sense, sure.

but there are producers asking reasonable amounts of money for their stuff, and as we move support to them more, and away from companies selling us overpriced hype, we'll see the industry correct. a good first step is seeing producers like d20 going straight to BBTS, we're beginning to cut the flow of collector product loose from the mass market "kids' toys" that compete for production dollars and retail space with actual kids; toys. if we can carve more channels like that, it will be easier for small producers to sell direct to us and avoid marketing markups, or encumbering distribution deals. maybe we can get good enough channels to be able to cut out crowd funding too. i think most of us would rather buy on pre-order and avoid paying the cut KS or IndieGoGo charge. they're baby steps but they seem to be in the right direction.
DutyBeforeAll
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:19 pm

I’m in for a grey Wolf from bbts. Hopefully Macfarlane will do some space wolves, nothing else they’d fit in great in a mythic legions, Witcher, or other fantasy display.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:40 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:44 pm
I ain't got the money to help him but I told Jason he needs one to have some promo pics of albino Ape Pale riding into battle on an albino warwolf. I need to see those pics, y'all.
Just tell Jason to make one of his own so we can all have one for like 60 bucks instead of [email protected]#$ 200.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:45 am

These D20 Wolves have priced me out. No thanks.

But my wolf fantasy hopes are not dashed yet. I'm waiting for this one instead, which will be sanely priced (I hope) :
https://necaonline.com/2021/05/an-ameri ... sler-wolf/

Edit: $34.99 at DS
https://dorksidetoys.com/products/neca- ... ion-figure

Perfect addition to my Mythic Legions
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:20 pm

When I saw Robo discuss these in the weekly, I thought they'd be perfect for one of my grail properties. But they're just too big and too expensive.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”