Maven Collectibles figures

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
dayraven
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Maven Collectibles figures

Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:27 pm

I recall there used to be a thread for these, but I'm not finding it anymore. If this creates a redundancy, feel free to delete this admins, but if not...

Evidently they're finally shipping their Titan bodies. I don't get the impression that a truckload of us bought these, but if they turned out as cool as they look, I suspect a few photos and a review or three will create some steam. That said, I only backed Titan because he looked far more interesting than the Superheroines which they're evidently re-releasing. My issue was simply that the sculpts are too smooth and some proportions wonky (i.e. small feet) with the ladies, Titan looks like those won't be issues. But honestly, given the insane wait to get him, this is the last time I back Maven even if Titan is a FotY contender. I don't get the sense that they've been honest or competent on their timeline, not maliciously, but just as a function of not really being a figure company. Too many other companies putting out too much good product at affordable prices for me to continue through their growing pains. They got funded in October of 2019, so i can't be mad that everything has taken too long for them, but just as an example, Vtoys Figure Body Zero wasn't even a teased item then and I have two in my hands now with a third on the way, the articulation is great, the sculpt is great, and the price was reasonable. Other small producers made product during the worst of the pandemic, and for whatever reason, Maven couldn't. They've also let an insane person run roughshod over their KS comments section where backers OUGHT to have had meaningful communication during the production. We paid them our money, they need to run a tighter ship than that. Just too many red flags for me to continue with them as a company.

That said, as a collector, as a toy fan, I'm still stoked for Titan, which supposedly started shipping out from them to KS backers on the fourth... no sign of figures being received yet though. Evidently, BBTS had their own logistics to handle their pre-order load so that too is worth noting from an info standpoint. I got one extra figure through there too, so I can update here with both info and photos when I actually get mine do we can kind of guage how all this worked out. Anyone else getting these, please submit photos when yours arrive and let us know how you ordered them.
felgekarp
Runs Around in Tights

Re: Maven Collectibles figures

Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:05 am

I ordered a couple through the kickstarter, being in the UK though I expect they’ll be a while coming though.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:41 am

dayraven wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:27 pm
I recall there used to be a thread for these, but I'm not finding it anymore. If this creates a redundancy, feel free to delete this admins, but if not...
There was a forum glitch that took the forum back 5 years. ALL threads that were newer than that threshold were lost, which is why you can't find the other thread.

I passed on the other figures, but I am interested to see how those Hulk sized figures turned out with production.
badguy543
CROM!

Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:05 pm

I actually started the thread for them with the Superheroines Kickstarter and backed that. The thing I did not like about it was how determined they were to release at 1/10 scale then later added the 1/12 scale when I think they knew that many people were only looking for the 1/12 scale figure to be compatible with existing lines at that scale or how I normally judge third party things "Marvel Legends Scale". I backed it mainly because I saw the potential for a company to do what I hoped the Cryptid Blanks would do or at least start a trend to that effect and to just support indie toy makers which I think is health for the hobby. I passed on the Titan because I had already shown support for the company and I wasn't interested in the giant body. A more regular sized body like Cryptid offered or like VC Toys offers in various colors like they did the Titan would have had my support. All in all I want to see what they have coming and would even like to see the 1/12 female offered in various colors like the Titan body. Lots of potential here and I believe they will deliver whatever they offer.
dayraven
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 am

Badguy, how did you feel about the Superheroines when you got them in hand? I had a pretty good idea with what I was getting, but honestly, I was not exactly excited. They were not bad, I wouldn't want anyone to get that impression, or take my personal feelings as reason not to try out one of the upcoming Superheroine re-releases (evidently, they got your notes!) For me personally, I wish the hair had been a flexible material, I wish the articulation was cut to be prettier (I feel life the edges are too hard for essentially a nude human body) and the aesthetix felt fit, but too smooth for superhero type muscles. Like especially with the athletic body, she has a shredded six pack, but no delineation or striation in her arms and legs, and a skinny neck. I don't regret buying them, I'm just not blown away enough to want more. And like you, I think helping small companies that want to get actual product into our hands is good for the industry.

And just as an update, I got my shipping notice today.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:43 am

I'd love to see how these size up against other lines. There are some pics around, but I'm just interested in what body type works best for a NECA, McF, DCC collection. Overall I'm interested in grabbing a couple of flesh-colored blanks though. The kickstarted was all grey, which didn't work for me.
badguy543
CROM!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:14 am

dayraven wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 am
Badguy, how did you feel about the Superheroines when you got them in hand? I had a pretty good idea with what I was getting, but honestly, I was not exactly excited. They were not bad, I wouldn't want anyone to get that impression, or take my personal feelings as reason not to try out one of the upcoming Superheroine re-releases (evidently, they got your notes!) For me personally, I wish the hair had been a flexible material, I wish the articulation was cut to be prettier (I feel life the edges are too hard for essentially a nude human body) and the aesthetix felt fit, but too smooth for superhero type muscles. Like especially with the athletic body, she has a shredded six pack, but no delineation or striation in her arms and legs, and a skinny neck. I don't regret buying them, I'm just not blown away enough to want more. And like you, I think helping small companies that want to get actual product into our hands is good for the industry.

And just as an update, I got my shipping notice today.
I was underwhelmed by the 1/10 Athletic body even though its well made It seemed a bit awkward in the ways you stated, bodybuilder abs with a regular girls arms and the legs seemed strange. I understood the loose joints due to them being meant for customizing and, even though I can't customize, I have studied tips from some customizers and apparently the loose joints will stiffen up and accept paint more readily. I also understand the more"realistic" proportions think she could have looked more dynamic with more exaggerated, comic book features but I'm just one of those guys that likes em thick. I understand the design choices here as well but just would have preferred different. I was far more pleased with the 1/12 body which I may try to turn in to Mario Gully's Ant which I am always looking for female bodies to give her a shot. I also wish they included a plug to make the bald head smooth. I like template style female bodies with bald heads and don't feel she always would need hair. I also interacted with the creators on Facebook before my ban and they were very cool people and very enthusiastic about their projects which also encouraged me to support them with dollars and not just words. I also politely passed along the interest in the 1/12 bodies where I noticed some being a bit more abrasive and they were receptive to the idea. I also recommended they seek licenses specifically AC Comics Femforce. AC Comics is another company I corresponded with and told me while they would like to see their heroines along side Marvel and DC Heroines, they weren't familiar enough with the toy industry to give it a go. I'd definitely support that project. Having lost out on projects like this before, I can fully understand your hesitation at continuing to back projects with long waits and missed deadlines.
InanimateObjects
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:27 pm

I never went for the stretched-out torso version, in either scale. That looked weird to me.

Also, regarding scale, I felt both were slightly larer than 1/12 and 1/10. The smaller one fits well enough with Marvel Legends, which tends to run 6.5", and the 1/10 is larger than all my other 7"-scale ladies.

Here are some example of my uses.

Harley the She=Devil uses the 1/12 "normal."

Big Barda uses the 1/10 "normal."

Gsptlsnz uses a Maven 1/12 "normal" from the mid-thigh up.

I hope that helps. I have various colors of the next round on order with BBTS. The Maven gals are not perfect, but undeniably useful.

Casimir
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:26 pm

Those are awesome. Thanks for the scale iinfo! I ordered a flesh-colored regular 1/12, as it seems like it'll be the best for my collection.
InanimateObjects
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:24 am

Mister Skeezler wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:26 pm
Those are awesome. Thanks for the scale iinfo! I ordered a flesh-colored regular 1/12, as it seems like it'll be the best for my collection.
Happy to help. I want to see what you make from it!

C.
Trappedtexan
Super Poseable

Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:07 am

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/ ... 67/page-11

My very early rough parts check maven titan is on page 11 of the thread on tfw. I would post pics direct but I don't know how.
Bill DeGeest
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:32 pm

Got my Titans yesterday and one accessory pack. Some loose joints but that also makes for easy tear-down for customizing. Thinking of making a Marvel comics Champion of the Universe with one of them.
dayraven
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:11 pm

Got mine on Wednesday and spent a couple days playing with them and deciding how I felt. Shot a video for YouTube that I posted last night, a two parter cuz my phone cut it into two. I don't know how to post links to that stuff, but if you search YouTube for Maven Collectibles, my username is the same there too. Also posted a bunch of pics to my Instagram in the last few days.

To sum up, if you know what you're buying, I think these have great potential. If you erroneously buy one expecting a "normal" action figure, you're going to be pissed, and we all know, in this community, any company that doesn't blow people 100% out of the water, there's a contingent waiting with pitchforks and torches. I pray the PaT crowd don't lay hands on one. But for customizers willing to put in a little work, I think there's tremendous upside. If I can get my old man brain to figure out posting photos here, I'll get some more up, but Bill covers a lot of bases with his. Thanks dude!
felgekarp
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:15 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for custom trunks\shorts for these figures?
dayraven
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:19 pm

I would imagine 1/6 scale would at least require a belt, cuz he's big, but he's not that big. But standard 1/12 scale GPSlot stuff will be far too small. At the risk of sounding flippant, maybe learn how to sew? It's genuinely tedious, but not that hard, and then you could tailor a 1/6 pair of pants, or custom make your own

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”