Lord of The Rings (Diamond Select, BST AXN etc.)

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
redxavier
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Lord of The Rings (Diamond Select, BST AXN etc.)

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:12 am

"talks are ongoing with Warner Bros. about continuing the line and the direction that would take"

I'm confused about this, but it honestly doesn't surprise me, there's not much about this line that make sense.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:20 am

redxavier wrote:
"talks are ongoing with Warner Bros. about continuing the line and the direction that would take"

I'm confused about this, but it honestly doesn't surprise me, there's not much about this line that make sense.
Perhaps when it says "the direction the line is taking" it means that WB just wants them to focus on making figures of the upcoming Amazon Show, instead of characters from the Motion Pictures.

Or, maybe we're just all around screwed and DST aren't going to be making any more LOTR figures lol. I'm confused too, but I'd like to see them continue making figures from the original 3 movies.

I'd really like to still at least get

Merry
Pippin
Sam
Boromir
Lurtz
Saruman
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:55 am

Well, it definitely sounds like DST want to continue and if the line gets dropped that's WB's fault.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:14 pm

It would be amazing to get a Balrog figure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PresidentJuggernaut
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:42 pm

Super Camel wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:20 am
redxavier wrote:

Perhaps when it says "the direction the line is taking" it means that WB just wants them to focus on making figures of the upcoming Amazon Show, instead of characters from the Motion Pictures.

Or, maybe we're just all around screwed and DST aren't going to be making any more LOTR figures lol. I'm confused too, but I'd like to see them continue making figures from the original 3 movies.

I'd really like to still at least get

Merry
Pippin
Sam
Boromir
Lurtz
Saruman
Warner Brothers isn't behind the show though. Amazon is producing it themselves, working with the Tolkien estate. The only connection to New Line was a deal licensing character likenesses from the movies (meaning that when Sauron shows up, they can use the movie design and so forth). DST would have to work with Amazon Studios to make figures based on the new show, which I hope they do. I'd like continuity in scale and design of the movie and TV figures. And I think having media support for new figures might help keep interest in producing more movie figures, and filling out the fellowship at least. Like Spider-Man: No Way Home producing demand for updated Raimi trilogy action figures, or Jurassic World toys getting a subline of updated Jurassic Park toys.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 pm

I have mixed feelings about them making figures for the new show, which may not even be well received. Leaping into making new media figures could backfire, as new media characters may not have as much an audience, linger in sales, and take the whole endeavor down.

How deep into lines does DST even go? NBX and Marvel obviously have been getting stuff (semi)consistently for years. I haven't been paying attention to their Avatar stuff. Has that line offered a lot of characters?

Maybe the interest in the LOTR line caught them off-guard, and they have to rush to come up with more figures. I know WB Consumer Products was gutted staff-wise in the last year or two, so maybe it takes longer for product to get approved. Maybe it's just a matter of character selection and DST and WB are trying to decide which figures to go forward with next.
MSWord
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:54 pm

We knew LOTR was going to be popular, just working out some behind-the-scenes stuff so we can keep going forward. No plans for the new show at this time, as far as I know.

And we just announced Series 5 of Avatar, so we're at 8 characters, plus a couple of Aang versions and another Zuko version. Aang, Katara, Zuko, Azula, Toph, Ozai, Sokka, Iroh.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:11 am

So maybe it's just likeness issues. Or just some approval hurdles. Looking forward to the next reveal(s).
Junkpile
one man's trash...

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:27 am

Akatsuki wrote:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!

The NECA one is made of unobtainium.
spinc
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:24 am

Junkpile wrote:
Akatsuki wrote:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!

Well, as long as we're listing pipe dreams, I need a Shadow of Mordor Talion figure like yesterday. Seriously, the game is amazing and his design is very toyetic, very detailed.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:56 am

spinc wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:24 am
Junkpile wrote:
Akatsuki wrote:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!

Well, as long as we're listing pipe dreams, I need a Shadow of Mordor Talion figure like yesterday. Seriously, the game is amazing and his design is very toyetic, very detailed.
Psh. I'll one-up you. I want like 90% of Talion's different looks and weapons from Shadow of War.
Just... accurate to the game and with up-down wrist hinges. I'd buy so many. I love those games.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 pm

MSWord wrote:We knew LOTR was going to be popular, just working out some behind-the-scenes stuff so we can keep going forward. No plans for the new show at this time, as far as I know.

And we just announced Series 5 of Avatar, so we're at 8 characters, plus a couple of Aang versions and another Zuko version. Aang, Katara, Zuko, Azula, Toph, Ozai, Sokka, Iroh.
Yeah Zach, you should really answer the Ask DST questions from now on. Your answer and tone inspire a lot more confidence.

I guess you just know us panicky nerds better.

misterskeezler on Instagram

Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:54 pm

Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 pm

I can't wait for that Gandalf.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 am

Count me in for a Talion or any other figure from the "Shadows" games. Haven't had much more fun gaming experiences than riding an arrow you just shot into an Orc, then immediately following up with some slashes from your sword! There were some really awesome Orc designs in those games too.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”