Lord of The Rings (Diamond Select, BST AXN etc.)

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Lord of The Rings (Diamond Select, BST AXN etc.)

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:42 pm

yodasodabo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:49 pm
I wouldn’t say they look, “exactly” alike. Similar but the final products head looks like the hair was maybe pushed down some which looks better but the face itself looks different as well. Could be the paint because the eyebrows look thicker and longer. The head even looks a tad smaller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The assembly line painted figures are going to look a little worse than hand painted prototypes used to sell the figures in the first place, that's a given no matter the company.

The hair sits a little lower and he's got thicker eyebrows, but the sculpt looks the same, save for the cut articulation.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:44 pm

They Ringwraith looks quite good and my son is really excited about that one. But.. did they design it so that he can't possibly hold his swords forward/straight up-and-down because of the long sleeve-cuff sculpt? Like, instead of the cuffs sculpted to hang down with the arms forward, they're sculpted to hang down when the arms are also down... so the figure can't actually hold the sword? Or am I seeing that wrong?
The pictures on the previous page just show the sword held across the body.. seemingly for that exact reason.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:34 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:44 pm
They Ringwraith looks quite good and my son is really excited about that one. But.. did they design it so that he can't possibly hold his swords forward/straight up-and-down because of the long sleeve-cuff sculpt? Like, instead of the cuffs sculpted to hang down with the arms forward, they're sculpted to hang down when the arms are also down... so the figure can't actually hold the sword? Or am I seeing that wrong?
The pictures on the previous page just show the sword held across the body.. seemingly for that exact reason.
I didn't even think of that, but it appears you are right. The sword handle is so long it would break if you tried to put it straight up and down in the Wraith's hand because it would never fit due the sleeve/cuff sculpt as you mentioned. And I was thinking "didn't the promo pic show the Wraith holding the sword forward, straight up and down?" When I went and looked, it's the knife/small blade he is holding in the promo pic. Which has a small enough handle to fit.

That kind of sucks. The figure looks great, but between this and the fact the sheath doesn't attach, it's got it's share of letdowns.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:15 am

They look great! I prefer the final head on Frodo. And the Wraith looks cool. Hopefully the sword can be held nicely in his hands.
ftw-jedi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:27 am

First package shot I've seenImage

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

FuzzyBlueDemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:12 pm

Man, I was prepared to buy at least 3 Ring Wraiths, but the decision to sculpt the sleeves as though the arms are straight at their side is rough. I hate when 'cloth' juts out at odd angles when you pose the arms.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:32 pm

FuzzyBlueDemon wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:12 pm
Man, I was prepared to buy at least 3 Ring Wraiths, but the decision to sculpt the sleeves as though the arms are straight at their side is rough. I hate when 'cloth' juts out at odd angles when you pose the arms.

To be fair, if they sculpted it at a 90 degree angle it'd jut out at odd angles in some poses as well. Sculpted cloth looks good in only one pose.

But yes, it'd obviously be much better if the sleeve was done the "proper" way. I hope some hot/cold water bending will help here.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:44 pm

So cool. Does it come with the mace?
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:14 pm

What parts are wave 4 coming with and when is wave 5 being revealed?

And come on waves 2 and 3. Deliver! I'm guessing October for wave 2 now? Does that push wave 3 back to November or December? Or even further out? These dealys (I know they aren't DST's fault) are killing me.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:17 pm

Softgoods cape!!! Looks excellent!
joshsquash729
CROM!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 pm

Sauron looks great. I echo the love for the softgoods cape. I hope the mace is released as a BAF part too, unless that's another thing being packed in with Smeagol/Gollum, though it doesn't specify needing him to complete the BAF. My only gripe is that I still wish the army builders didn't come with a Sauron piece. Having multiple Nazgul and Moria Orcs means having multiple unused BAF parts lying around. I know I should be used to that as a collector, but I hate the waste. Ah, well. At least it means we'll have ol' Red Eye completed sooner rather than later.
Nik
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:59 pm

I just got wave 1 for my birthday, and my disappointment in Legolas' empty knife sheaths was tempered by shooting an arrow at my brother all the way across the room using Legolas' bow. Gimli is great, just needs more places to hang his axes.

I'm also curious, if 1-3 finishes Sauron, do the future waves also have Sauron parts, or is it a new BAF? Hopefully the Witch-King, pretty please?
MSWord
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:20 pm

I believe Sauron's mace still is coming, It looks like it will come with the Moria Orc.

There are NO BAF parts in Series 4, just Gandalf in his big old robes and an Uruk Hai with some extra parts. Sauron will be done with Series 3, and the next BAF has not been determined.

Series 2 hits stores 10/6.
FuzzyBlueDemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:47 pm

MSWord wrote:I believe Sauron's mace still is coming, It looks like it will come with the Moria Orc.

There are NO BAF parts in Series 4, just Gandalf in his big old robes and an Uruk Hai with some extra parts. Sauron will be done with Series 3, and the next BAF has not been determined.

Series 2 hits stores 10/6.
Nice! Thanks for the update.

Benedict
CROM!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:02 am

The posing looks a little awkward, maybe the knees or the skirt is restrictive, can’t really tell.

I’ll be glad when the BAF is finished and the extra budget can go into improving the figures.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”