Lord of The Rings (Diamond Select, BST AXN etc.)

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Lord of The Rings (Diamond Select, BST AXN etc.)

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 pm

Did a few quick mods to Legolas. Improved his elbow, knee and ab articulation, put arrows in the quiver and some pseudo knives in their shears.

Went really ham on the ab part because the rubber overlay will cover anything anyway.

Legolas getting ready for action

And posing with his bro

I'm really happy with these figures, they're basically everything I expected them to be, with Legolas having a bunch of typical DST annoyances. Can't wait for next waves and building Sauron, he's gonna be MS Hulk huge.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:06 am

Quite disappointed with these. Well, Legolas in particular. I knew from the get go the proportions for his lower body were off. No double joints for figures in 2021? Even when the prototype had them on atleast the arms? Fellowship capes cut? Knife holsters but no knives? And Legolas' hip joints and lower body are a mess. Teeny tiny baby legs compared to the rest of the figure. Oh, and my Legolas has two right lower legs which I discovered in the middle of typing this. Paint is good, apart from severe hayfever Orlando Bloom, detailing is good, and accessories are good, but these are so limited by dysfunctional or questionable articulation.
Benedict
CROM!

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:47 pm

Yep Legolas is a wasted opportunity. Gimli’s not bad, bud could be much better.
I would buy Sauron as a separate release and prefer that extra money put towards improved figures.

Completely different scale but the Helm’s Deep Legolas from Asmus is looking fantastic.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:57 pm

Shinigami_PL wrote:
Did a few quick mods to Legolas. Improved his elbow, knee and ab articulation, put arrows in the quiver and some pseudo knives in their shears.

Went really ham on the ab part because the rubber overlay will cover anything anyway.

And posing with his bro

I'm really happy with these figures, they're basically everything I expected them to be, with Legolas having a bunch of typical DST annoyances. Can't wait for next waves and building Sauron, he's gonna be MS Hulk huge.
I don't have the figures in hand yet but I was curious what you did for the elbows and knees? Did you just remove some material around the joint?
frymasterak
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:17 pm

I got the toys quickly from BBTS. They are great, Legolas is a lil off I would say, and the lack of knives is really a head scratcher. He even has the empty sheaths on his back.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:48 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:57 pm
Shinigami_PL wrote:

And posing with his bro

I don't have the figures in hand yet but I was curious what you did for the elbows and knees? Did you just remove some material around the joint?
Sorry, forgot to get back to you. Yes, I freed up the joints by carving out some plastic around them.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:41 am

Much better! Good to know we can fix them. It does look good.
PresidentJuggernaut
Super Poseable

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:11 pm

Finally picked up Legolas and Gimli, despite the issues these look pretty good, and I really want to build Sauron. I know that once I have Gandalf and some Ringwraiths and orcs I'd be going back to hunt these down anyway.

The empty sheaths for the missing knives will be annoying forever.
Yoda Man
Runs Around in Tights

Wed May 05, 2021 1:10 am

Dorkside Toys already has both Legolas and Gimli down to $15 each. Probably not a great sign for the line but a good deal nonetheless.
PresidentJuggernaut
Super Poseable

Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 pm

Yoda Man wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:10 am
Dorkside Toys already has both Legolas and Gimli down to $15 each. Probably not a great sign for the line but a good deal nonetheless.
Boy, do I wish I had waited a week.

Please, god, let them finish the BAF Sauron before they quit on this line... *stares at DST Jules Winnfield who will never be joined by Vincent Vega*
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 1:08 am

I think no matter what they will finish the Sauron Build A Figure. And I don't think Dorkside having them for sale is any sign they are selling poorly overall. Dorkside being a younger, smaller company may just be having trouble moving some of their stock. But for instance, Wave 1 is Sold out on Entertainment Earth, and they are scheduled to be restocking soon. And, even if Dorkside had trouble moving their stock of Wave 1 which led them to put them on sale this week, Wave 2's pre orders are all already sold out on Dorkside.

Just keep supporting and keep buying them. Hopefully we can get a good collection. But I think they seem to be selling well.

Back when word got out Diamond select got the rights to make Lord of the Rings figures, did they ever say all they had rights for? I know the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but what about The Hobbit Trilogy, or the upcoming Amazon Series?

Not that I'm looking that far ahead. All I want right now is more LotR Trilogy figures. But I was just curious.
frymasterak
Runs Around in Tights

Thu May 06, 2021 2:06 pm

I would be content with finishing the Fellowship.
joshsquash729
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu May 06, 2021 2:44 pm

Yeah, I'm not too worried just yet. Dorkside was having a sale last week and included them in it, that's all. Haven't seen them for sale anywhere else- heck, I've barely seen them in stock anywhere else. I think they're doing just fine, and for reasons Super Camel said above, decided to throw us a bone. I kinda wish I'd waited a bit too, but I don't regret buying them full price. I really like the figs, and look forward to the future waves. Come on, Saruman!
PresidentJuggernaut
Super Poseable

Thu May 06, 2021 2:55 pm

frymasterak wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:06 pm
I would be content with finishing the Fellowship.
Same for me, plus Sauron and a few of the Wraiths and orcs that we know are coming.
FuzzyBlueDemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 3:20 pm

I've had these about a week now. I like Gimli, but Legolas is such a letdown for me. His leg articulation is pretty much useless. Even if it weren't, his tunic skirt is so incredibly stiff you could barely move his legs forward anyway. Then they switched his hands, so his grip for the bow is his right hand & the arrow grip is the left. It's just really disappointing. He looks fine & he can certainly stand there in a display, but he's an action oriented character, he deserved better. I hope Aragorn fares better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”