Lord of The Rings (Diamond Select, BST AXN etc.)

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Lord of The Rings (Diamond Select, BST AXN etc.)

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:41 pm

ftw-jedi wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:59 am
MSWord wrote:
maverick10126 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:07 pm
Love the wave 4. Loving this line so far...and I don’t even have my wave 1 yet. I’m all in.

I’m really looking forward to the next build a theme. Sounded like it was an environment which is definitely something I’m excited for. The bigger the better.
I don't believe anyone said anything about the next BAF. There is not one for Series 4 that I am aware of. I have not heard about an environment.
I think Maverick was alluding to the pvc statue that will more or less work with these figs.
Is that still a go?
If so, any updated time frame for it?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
I thought it was alluded to that eventually there would be a display environment for these figures, similar to what had been done with the Ghostbusters figures. I made the assumption that it would be the next Build an item.

Does anyone else remember that or are my allergy meds just kicking in hard today? I thought we were speculating a mines of Moria could be coming down the road?
MSWord
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:51 am

Never alluded to. There was a PVC planned, but it got upgraded to a statue, due to the size. But no environment planned that I am aware of.
joshsquash729
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:32 am

My Leggie and Gims showed up early. I gotta say, having them in hand, they're really nice! I like the softer plastic used on the hands- made the accessories really easy to get in. Couldn't quite get Legolas to get into an archery pose, but I admittedly didn't try that hard. Would definitely look better with some daggers, and the Toy Biz ones I had were just a smidge too long, so I might try to pick up a Bridge Direct. Don't really have any complaints with Gimli- he's perfectly serviceable as is, though for some reason, all I see when I look at his face is someone who's smoked a bit too much pipeweed. :lol: Looks a little glazed over, but it's more an observation, not a complaint. All in all, I'm actually quite pleased, if only just to have new LOTR figs. Oh, and the Sauron pieces are absolutely awesome. He's gonna look like a beast when all assembled. I'm all in!

Sorry if it's been discussed already (pretty sure it has), but has it been revealed what BAF piece the Ringwraith and Goblin will come with? And will they be available without the BAF piece? I definitely want to try and army build, but don't want those extra pieces to go to waste.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:35 am

MSWord wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:51 am
Never alluded to. There was a PVC planned, but it got upgraded to a statue, due to the size. But no environment planned that I am aware of.
Thanks for that clarification. Im just happy this line exists so Ill take whatever you guys throw at us.
ftw-jedi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:21 am

MSWord wrote:Never alluded to. There was a PVC planned, but it got upgraded to a statue, due to the size. But no environment planned that I am aware of.
The PVC line would be a great way to make big characters at an affordable price and complement the 7" figure line.
Cave troll please

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

spinc
Avengers Assemble

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:23 am

How impossible is it that they do a 'Build-a-Balrog' starting with wave 5? Make it pretty much a hollow plastic shell, with minimal articulation, minimal paint, just a good sculpt and a large size.
redxavier
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 am

spinc wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:23 am
How impossible is it that they do a 'Build-a-Balrog' starting with wave 5? Make it pretty much a hollow plastic shell, with minimal articulation, minimal paint, just a good sculpt and a large size.
If it means shortchanging the figures I wouldn't want it. I may be completely wrong on this, but it feels like the Sauron pieces are blowing the budget and that's why corners are being cut (articulation and accessories). I like to imagine that had Legolas not coming with two whopping big Sauron pieces, he'd have his knives and more than just 3 oversized arrows.

I came across quite harsh in my previous post. I think Gimli's really good and the best version of the character we have ever had. I still haven't been able to work out the 'why' for the open hands. They're 'groping' hands which don't seem to relate to anything I can think of. Probably an abandoned idea?
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:17 am

Got my Wave 1 figures in today from BBTS. I love these figures. The sculpt detail, the paint apps, the likenesses. Everything is just so well done. And I can't wait to build this Sauron figure. I have Wave 2 and 3 on pre order, with a total of 2 orc's and 3 Ring Wraiths on pre order.

My ONLY complaint on Wave 1 is the lack of Legolas' knives. I really hope DST can add those in with someone down the line. like with a Hobbit that has no Build A Figure piece or something. It would just be so satisfying to have those knives, and slide them into their perfectly sculpted sheaths. I need them. My life will not be complete until I have knives for those sheaths.
joshsquash729
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:40 pm

Yeah, I definitely hope Legolas' knives can be packed in with a character that doesn't require many accessories themselves- maybe Gollum, Galadriel, or Elrond? The latter two also benefit from being Elven themselves, so it's not too terribly out of place.

It really is amazing how much the daggers add to Legolas' overall look. Their design, especially how they curve toward each other while in the sheaths, and the ivory color, really stand out. From just a general standpoint, I never understood the decision to give archer action figures multiple removable arrows, since only one can be displayed on a bow at a time. I'd much rather have arrows sculpted into the quiver, and one removable one to notch into the bow (maybe include a second if you lose the first). It just always seemed a waste to me. And on the chance that your figure get knocked over and the arrows lost (not that much of a stretch for someone with kids or a pet), if you lose all the arrows, then you just have an empty quiver. Heck, I'd take zero removable arrows, and either an empty bow, or just a pre-posed bow with the arrow sculpted on, over a couple arrows that'll never see use. Not knocking DST- they're far from the first to do it. I get that it's cheap and easy, but it just never made much sense to me.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:56 pm

I'm gonna get my figures in a few days, I'm excited to have them in hand finally.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:25 pm

I'm not surprised Shartimus and whoever else tore a leg off their Legolas, if they pushed it up as hard as they could without actually looking up what kinda articulation is there first.

That's a Y joint.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:47 pm

Been a while since a figure on my radar has rocked Y joints.

Kind of a weird choice for engineering, unless they purposefully did it to place the joint shaft higher and not in the groin. That way they could prevent Marvel Legends style thigh gapping, which would make sense for a figure with a thick rubber skirt overlay to prevent it from looking like it has birthing hips.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:25 pm

It's just not a very intuitive joint. And why would they care about thigh gapping if the groin is hidden under a skirt?
FuzzyBlueDemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:32 pm

Why indeed... With no thigh cut, that's really gonna make him incredibly stationary in posing. No leg movement without twisting his thigh & knee all out of wack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

spinc
Avengers Assemble

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 am

And besides that, the crotch is already kinda wide. Make it thinner, use an horizontal peg, and save yourself the trouble.

At least the sculpt is good.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”

Recent Topics