Lord of The Rings (Diamond Select, BST AXN etc.)

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Lord of The Rings (Diamond Select, BST AXN etc.)

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:26 pm

Man, these all look so good. Gandalf and Gollum look perfect. I'm very excited about this line. I don't have any in hand yet.......but soon.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:14 pm

The Moria Orc not having his shield is disappointing. It has such a distinct shape and design.

I'm hoping waves 5 & 6 bring:

Boromir
Merry
Lurtz
Pippin

We'd just need Sam. Trust trying to pair figures which make sense together. Boromir loved Merry and Pippin, so pairing him with one works. Lurtz right after (or before) Boromir makes sense as well as pairing him with a Hobbit he was trying to snag. Not sure who Sam could be paired with in a wave. Maybe Saruman, even though they have no interaction. Galadriel?
FuzzyBlueDemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:01 am

Shinigami_PL wrote:Who's ready to buy 9 Nazgul figures?
I'm still hoping we end up with streamlined Walgreens releases here in the US so I can load up. I want at least 3 of them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ftw-jedi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:41 am

MSWord wrote:I said five figures? THat's weird. It's six, unless I means that one would come with his weapon and alt hands. I'm actually not sure of the final parts breakdown.
Thanx for the clarification Zack, just ordered the first 3 waves from bbts, can't wait for that Sauron!
Hope you guys can do a Witch King

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

MSWord
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:23 am

maverick10126 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:07 pm
Love the wave 4. Loving this line so far...and I don’t even have my wave 1 yet. I’m all in.

I’m really looking forward to the next build a theme. Sounded like it was an environment which is definitely something I’m excited for. The bigger the better.
I don't believe anyone said anything about the next BAF. There is not one for Series 4 that I am aware of. I have not heard about an environment.
MSWord
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:38 am

redxavier wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm
Can I suggest something with the accessories? Include the ones that best fit the representation of the character that you are going for. It seems that you're trying to go for an ultimate version of some of these characters, but doing so by mixing up ideas from different versions and then sometimes dropping things when the budget is reached. So Aragorn is part Weathertop, part Moria, part Two Towers and part Return of the King. In the end, it sort of becomes this weird hybrid and then I wonder, who are these figures supposed to be for? Why release a Legolas without his knives but a Frodo with the Phial of Galadriel? It seems so inconsistent.
I think the goal is to make the most recognizable look for the character with the most recognizable accessories. They may not match exactly, but we are not going to make twelve Aragorns that match twelve moments in the film. At least, not right away.
redxavier wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm
I think the sword will be a bit pointless on its own.
Obviously you've never needed a sword!
ftw-jedi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:59 am

MSWord wrote:
maverick10126 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:07 pm
Love the wave 4. Loving this line so far...and I don’t even have my wave 1 yet. I’m all in.

I’m really looking forward to the next build a theme. Sounded like it was an environment which is definitely something I’m excited for. The bigger the better.
I don't believe anyone said anything about the next BAF. There is not one for Series 4 that I am aware of. I have not heard about an environment.
I think Maverick was alluding to the pvc statue that will more or less work with these figs.
Is that still a go?
If so, any updated time frame for it?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

bgiles73
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 am

Hey in case anyone else has those Bridge Direct “The Hobbit” figures. Legolas’s blades are a near perfect fit! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:55 am

These look really great, but can he get in any sort of archery pose?

misterskeezler on Instagram

bgiles73
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:03 am

He would definitely benefit from some butterfly shoulder joints and added elbow articulation. I believe MSWORD posted an archery pose somewhere. I’m happy enough with these as is. Well as is with having to scavenge his swords from another figure. If you have those swords they definitely help to add to a nice figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DioramaMaker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:13 am

Wait, are you telling me that the sheathes are cut for blades, but he doesn't actually come with them? Lmao
redxavier
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:16 pm

So these are ok honestly. Are they better than the Toybiz figures? Yes, but then the old versions weren't that great anyway. Are they good figures? Not particularly. Here comes the fanboy on the internet ramble.

The sculpts are good for the most part, but some details are soft (Gimli's pauldrons) or done abstractly (Gimli's straps), so it's a little inconsistent. At this larger scale, that softness becomes more noticeable. The articulation on both figures, or rather than poseability, is pretty poor and is less to do with the number of articulation points and more that it's just not designed well. The range in Legolas limb joints is especially limited; the knee joint is too far up into the upper leg, which means barely any movement. Meanwhile Gimli's legs are better but have a huge and ghastly looking gap when moved. My chief criticism of Legolas is that he has been set up to hold his bow in his right hand (and not his left as per the movie), but the quiver blocks his hair and thus his head cannot turn right much if at all in the direction his bow is facing. He can turn left no problem. The hands are the wrong way around.

And I guess that's a reflection of the line overall (so far). It's like someone had this great idea, and it was compromised and compromised. To the point where someone didn't quite realise why they were making this in the first place and how to adapt everything in order to still make a great product as opposed to an ok one. For example, if the knives weren't going to be released, then why were sculpted handles for them not added to the quiver? Instead there are two empty holes which basically say 'this is an incomplete/unfinished product'.

This is likely to be the only Legolas from DST. Same for Gimli and the same for everyone else, so the flaws just come across as more disappointing.
bgiles73
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm

I think I’m more disappointed by what DST did for Westworld - Including guns but making them totally unremovable and useless. The silent-political statement there soured me on ever watching the third season of the show or from buying the rest of the figures. I mean the whole show is violent and a statement on the consequences of human violence. Nothing looks more ridiculous than a man in black with a poised trigger finger with no trigger to squeeze. Just have to position him scratching his butt in wonder. At least Legolas has options for you to either add swords from another figure or for DST to sneak them in some kinda way.
joshsquash729
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:43 pm

Ash Talon wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:14 pm
The Moria Orc not having his shield is disappointing. It has such a distinct shape and design.

I'm hoping waves 5 & 6 bring:

Boromir
Merry
Lurtz
Pippin

We'd just need Sam. Trust trying to pair figures which make sense together. Boromir loved Merry and Pippin, so pairing him with one works. Lurtz right after (or before) Boromir makes sense as well as pairing him with a Hobbit he was trying to snag. Not sure who Sam could be paired with in a wave. Maybe Saruman, even though they have no interaction. Galadriel?
Personally, I'd hope for Sam before the others. But I do get the logistic decision at saving a big character like him for a later wave, to keep people buying. Not sure pairing necessarily matters that much- Gandalf and Gollum don't ever really interact during the main events, but they're being paired together. But if it does matter, you could do Galadriel, Elrond, Arwen, Faramir. Though, if they're just sticking to Fellowship characters for now, which it seems like they are, then you could take Faramir out. I'd love Sam and Saruman together, if only because it's 2 characters I love.

Anywho, should be getting my figures later this week from BBTS. I'm pretty sure I have the daggers from the old Toy Biz figure- specifically Rohan Leggy. Not sure how/if they'll fit, but I'll give them a try. They do look to be bigger than the Bridge Direct ones. Hobbit Leggy isn't actually too bad on eBay right now; if the TB one doesn't work, I may pick one up to have the full Fellowship loadout.
bgiles73
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:29 pm

The Bridge Direct swords are a really tight fit. The blades are so thick I don’t dare push them down fully into the sheaths and risking splitting the plastic. I do like that they complete Legolas’s look.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”