Super7 Godzilla items

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7 Godzilla items

Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:34 pm

I appreciate the artistry of suit design and think screen/suit accuracy is a good goal, but honestly, Godzilla's face is so infrequently on-screen for long close-up periods that I don't really notice this stuff that much. I can understand what people are saying when they break it down like that, and I understand why others would feel differently, but all of those sculpts look good enough to me. Especially once you get them in-hand and they're pretty small (besides the xplus).
Peter Hoffman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:49 pm

panther10 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:41 pm
Most of the stuff he does are just digital sculpts on Zbrush. He really hasn’t produced a physical sculpt for any company until now, and even saying that, everything is still in production.
So...the job of the sculptor. It's not the sculptor's job to bring things to physical production. Most sculptors work digitally now, and then just hand the assets off to the production company.
Burkion
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:04 pm

starguarded wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:34 pm
I appreciate the artistry of suit design and think screen/suit accuracy is a good goal, but honestly, Godzilla's face is so infrequently on-screen for long close-up periods that I don't really notice this stuff that much. I can understand what people are saying when they break it down like that, and I understand why others would feel differently, but all of those sculpts look good enough to me. Especially once you get them in-hand and they're pretty small (besides the xplus).
Oh yeah this is some nerd shit we're going down here.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:13 pm

panther10 wrote:
Most of the stuff he does are just digital sculpts on Zbrush.
That's how it's done these days. Digital ain't easy, either.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:35 am

MollyMillions wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:13 pm
panther10 wrote:
Most of the stuff he does are just digital sculpts on Zbrush.
That's how it's done these days. Digital ain't easy, either.
Yeah, OG forum member 2Dtoys has been working for Hasbro for a couple years on the 3.75" Joe line (and now some Classified figures), and most of his stuff he's posted of the raw sculpts on IG are digital.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:46 am

cmoney wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:21 pm
ODBJBG wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:34 am
Yeah I mean what an underwhelming debut for S7, making arguably the best design of Heisei Goji and a version of one of the most unique Kaiju in the franchise history in a form that’s never had an articulated action figure before.

Hmmm. Yeah.
I mean, if you've read this far, you know it's the aesthetics people have a problem with and not the character selection. Though some that already have the SH Monsterarts stuff do wish they hadn't repeated a recent offering there.
This form of Biollante has never been released before. So it's not a retread of MonsterArts.

And no one who I was responding to was talking about the aesthetics, they were specifically talking about character selection.
panther10 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:11 am
ODBJBG wrote:Yeah I mean what an underwhelming debut for S7, making arguably the best design of Heisei Goji and a version of one of the most unique Kaiju in the franchise history in a form that’s never had an articulated action figure before.

Hmmm. Yeah.
Are you for real? Are you actually serious right now?
I would wager that any figure of Godzilla, or any kaiju from this genre for that matter, that was sculpted by Yuji Sakai can easily run circles around the guy who sculpted this Godzilla for Super7. Yuji Sakai has been in this business for 30 years. He’s constructed over 170 models of Godzilla alone for toy prototypes, model kits, statues, vinyls and has done work for the film industry, commercial industry and has made household products. The dude is an absolute legend.

This Godzilla on the other hand is a far cry from being the best. It’s not bad for a first attempt from a novice artist, but don’t kid yourself. This figure has some serious, jarring flaws. It is a far cry from being the most accurate Godzilla 1989 ever put to market by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really are quite dense. I was talking about BIO GOJI being arguably the most popular suit design, not anything to do with this figure's sculptor. Again, reading comprehension. Learn how to understand the words you read, it would do wonders and make you post less nonsense.
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:38 pm

ODBJBG wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:46 am
cmoney wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:21 pm
ODBJBG wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:34 am
Yeah I mean what an underwhelming debut for S7, making arguably the best design of Heisei Goji and a version of one of the most unique Kaiju in the franchise history in a form that’s never had an articulated action figure before.

Hmmm. Yeah.
I mean, if you've read this far, you know it's the aesthetics people have a problem with and not the character selection. Though some that already have the SH Monsterarts stuff do wish they hadn't repeated a recent offering there.
This form of Biollante has never been released before. So it's not a retread of MonsterArts.

And no one who I was responding to was talking about the aesthetics, they were specifically talking about character selection.
Yes, the Biollante has not, but it was clearly the BioGoji that those who were complaining about selection were talking about. At any rate, the Biollante has the same aesthetic drawbacks as the BioGoji, in my view. Anyways, I'm still trying to talk myself into ordering them regardless.
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NywLkRObJR0

Interview with Brian about the Toho line. Not sure if there's new info because it just went up a few minutes ago, just started listening.
Burkion
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:16 am

starguarded wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:57 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NywLkRObJR0

Interview with Brian about the Toho line. Not sure if there's new info because it just went up a few minutes ago, just started listening.
I don't think we learn anything new exactly but we get a better size comparison

Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:57 am

Kind of a rambling interview. Didn't seem thought out and planned. 72 minutes and not one question about jumbo Shogun Warriors Godzillas?
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:08 am

Just finished it (had to stop shortly after I started earlier). There was actually a ton of new info... not hard announcements, but more intentions for the line.

Ultimates will continue through the nineties for a while, but will eventually go back for Showa. They want to make characters we don't get often, and mentioned King Caesar, Rodan, Kumonga, Kamacuras, Ebirah, and Megalon. He said he wanted people's collections to be more like "32 monsters and 8 Godzillas" than "18 Zillas and 8 monsters," when talking about how not every Battle Pack will have Godzilla. And a bunch of other stuff about their intentions for scale, size, and such.

Toy tributes will mostly be a ReAction thing, it seems, 'cause they need to be pickier with the limited number of Ultimates releases.
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 10:41 pm

BBTS has pre-orders up for the ReAction stuff with a Q4 release date, but no pics. I don't follow S7 releases super-closely, but it generally seems they don't really reveal ReAction pics until they're getting pretty close to available?
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Thu May 26, 2022 4:37 pm

cmoney wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:41 pm
BBTS has pre-orders up for the ReAction stuff with a Q4 release date, but no pics. I don't follow S7 releases super-closely, but it generally seems they don't really reveal ReAction pics until they're getting pretty close to available?
Yeah that's usually the case. Sometimes they don't even go up for preorder this far in advance. I went ahead and preordered the Jet Jaguar because I know I'll want that, but I'm waiting to see pictures of the other ones.
GrumpyMatt
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu May 26, 2022 4:50 pm

Thanks for posting — grabbed Mecha Godzilla and JJ for now. I thought to myself looking at the listings that I'd try and hold off on buying all the different iterations of Big G in this line but I know myself too well. I'll wait till closer to release to pick those up.

Mothra and Rodan, though ... I feel like Mezco's got me covered there. Can't wait to see some side-by-side comparisons.
Burkion
Runs Around in Tights

Sat May 28, 2022 2:14 am

Looks like Wave 2 is approaching. Burning Godzilla and Destroyah.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”