Super7: SilverHawks ULTIMATES!

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Burkion
HULK SMASH!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: SilverHawks ULTIMATES!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:59 pm

The throne is very interesting to me because that leaves them open to doing similar items in the future. Over in Power Rangers, one character in particular has a very iconic throne that has never been done justice in toy form before. Officially anyways. And it could be a way to get awkward but important accessories out to those who need them, like a certain Thundercats hero and her bike
FlexionDynamo
Avengers Assemble

Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:11 pm

May be the one off mold cost and likely no reuse. If I can 3D print that for <$25 then its a no go for me.

I'm glad they are trying new things. I would like to see "Ultimates Deluxe" figures once a wave
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:29 pm

FlexionDynamo wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:11 pm
May be the one off mold cost and likely no reuse.
See, I could almost buy that excuse if this were MOTUC line and the price point were $25. But Super7 has confirmed previously that virtually every Ultimates figures is one-off tooling with almost no re-use (except in the case of recolors or glow-in-the-dark versions) across figures. That means this throne likely involves tooling for a single piece - two at max - with minimal assembly and less paint. It HAS to be cheaper to make than a full figure. But it costs nearly as much as a full Ultimates figure with numerous heads and accessories. It definitely doesn't feel like much of a value for the money. That being said, I'll still buy it because I'm a sucker, and also I want them to continue to explore offerings like this in their Ultimates lines.
Baedal wrote:What a disappointment, Windhammer will never look like this with the tunic made of soft goods, it will be an aesthetic downgrade, they should include the sculpted option too, like Mumm-ra, Splinter and Jaga.
Don't be disappointed yet. No one has indicated that the tunic will be soft goods. I was merely hoping it won't be. Since it's being previewed as molded, it seems likely it will stay that way. Pumm-Ra was solicited with his soft goods robe (which I also dislike), so I assume if the intent was to use cloth, they would have shown that. Sorry if my moment of paranoia led you to astray.
VeeBee
Yeah, I was in the s#!%
Location: Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have ninjas like these.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:31 pm

No, it says it is soft goods in the description.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:15 pm

VeeBee wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:31 pm
No, it says it is soft goods in the description.
Oh, then that's a huge bummer and I absolutely hate it.

I hadn't read the full description and so missed that bit. The render clearly looks sculpted and not cloth - so even a bigger bummer for me to have the pre-sell image be the thing I actually want but the product be a thing I will actively dislike.
VeeBee
Yeah, I was in the s#!%
Location: Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have ninjas like these.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:25 pm

I mean, we will see. Pumm-Ra is really one of the only figures that has not had both soft and plastic when it comes to things like this, so that is a good question to ask.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:38 pm

VeeBee wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:25 pm
I mean, we will see. Pumm-Ra is really one of the only figures that has not had both soft and plastic when it comes to things like this, so that is a good question to ask.
True. Ideally it would be an option to come both ways. I guess it's at least worth asking about. I ditched that abomination of a cloth robe from my Ultimates Shredder so fast - he looks so much better in the sculpted rubber version.

I shake my fist at Mezco for making companies think that soft goods = premium figures.
VeeBee
Yeah, I was in the s#!%

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:54 pm

I feel you for sure. 99% of the time, I pick plastic over cloth at this scale. I could go on about it for hours, haha.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:38 pm

I finally ordered the 2 hawks from wave 1 when this was wave was revealed. I now have all 4 hawks ordered, and will likely stick with just them for now.

I had almost all of the original toys, but for the price, I can live with just the main heroes on display.

Mon*Star and Mumm-Ra sound the same anyway, so Lion-O can share a foe. :lol:
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:21 am

Bluegrass looks incredible. Super7 are killing it these past 2 years.

Windhammer is probably a pass for me. Same with the throne. I fall on the anti-cloth side of things most of the time. I can give it some leeway when the characters are presented as very realistic, but for straight up faithful cartoon sculpts it's like... why? The same loosey-goosey justification for a cloth tunic could be applied towards giving Mon-Star a ridiculous faux fur loincloth. Both look silly given the aesthetic context, and neither would perform well in crafting the desired shape or effect given the scale. I could be wrong though, maybe they have something up their sleeve and will be using super fine microfiber material with immaculately placed hidden stitching and finely tailored tapered points to make it borderline flawless.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:01 am

I am personally on the side of thanking whoever the toy gods are that are either giving the option for cloth or opting for only cloth regarding literally anything involving capes, robes etc. My biggest pet peeve of anything is having some rippled surfboard of a cape jutting out from a characters neck when you're trying to do anything with the figure, or for a plastic coffin to be sealing the figure's playability behind it's sarcophageal nonsense.
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:22 am

Meh.

KIDDING!!

Love this reveal.

Steel Will and Bluegrass look great, and the accessories!!!! They are chock-a-block full. I mean look at the in package render, it is wall to wall accessories.

Mon*Star looks great. I love that we are getting Sky Shadow's beast form and his eye patch during transformation looks great in that deeper colour. However is that how he looks in the cartoon? I kind of always thought he wasn't quite so black on the dark parts, but I may be remembering wrong.

Wind Hammer is great overall, but I'm not a big fan. Wonderful accessories/effect pieces, but as others have said I am worried about how that soft goods tunic is going to look in person. Also I agree that I had hoped Super7 would have done one of their "out of left field" choices and given us a Melodia. Especially since she never had a toy to begin with, and she is one of the few female characters.

The Throne is both great, and a disappointment. Great because it is something I never expected and I love it. Plus the price isn't too bad. Disappointed because it is so seemingly lackluster in execution. It is just grey, and there doesn't appear to be any accessories included. My big fear, which I know is unfounded, is that it will be this hollow piece of plastic. Or solid but extremely light weight. Either way that would be a huge disappointment and not be worth the money.

Does anyone else think that the budget for the wave being higher, due to the throne as a fifth "figure", was why they jam packed the 4 figures with accessories? Most notably the Silverhawks? I mean whether they have a full wave budget, or a per figure budget the throne definitely has to be low cost. Both in tooling and parts count, and paint decos. So that money must have been freed up to allow for so many more accessories with the other figures while keeping each individual unit at $55, or less.
yorick_skirata
HULK SMASH!

Super7: SilverHawks ULTIMATES!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:31 am

Is it me, or the Silverhawks figures seem quite better than the Thundercats?

I really liked Silverhawks when I was a kid. But I absolutely loved Thundercats. It is, by far, my favourite cartoon from my childhood. And I never had Silverhawks toys as a kid, but I had most Thundercats.

Yet, I keep considering getting all the hawks, and so far, only Cheetara has my attention in the Thundercats line (if they really fix her).

I’m not a big fan of Super7 style (everything seems a bit MOTUC, IMO) and I always wanted both IPs in a more current style (something more like NECA). Somehow Silverhawks seems closer to that, IMO..

I wonder if anyone else is feeling the same.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:33 am

yorick_skirata wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:31 am
I’m not a big fan of Super7 style (everything seems a bit MOTUC, IMO) and I always wanted both IPs in a more current style (something more like NECA). Somehow Silverhawks seems closer to that, IMO..

I wonder if anyone else is feeling the same.
Interesting... I feel exactly the opposite. I fervently wish the NECA D&D figures were more like Ultimates (more MOTUC too) and it is that style that makes me such a fan of what Super7 I doing.

I really like what they are doing with Silverhawks, but the Thundercats are great so far. Slithe and Jaga are two of my favorite figures I got this year.

And dear Mr Benty I love reading your thoughts on most everything so it breaks my heart for you to be so very wrong about cloth on figures in this scale ;)
fletch137
Super Poseable

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:39 am

I thought I was big into Silverhawks as a kid, but what is that little dragon thing with Mon*Star? I don't remember him at all.

Maybe it's a vintage toy thing? I admit I didn't have any of the toys and am all about just the cartoon designs. However, Bluegrass' bird turning into his guitar is so great.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”

Recent Topics