Creative Beast Studio - Dinosaurs and Dragons

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Creative Beast Studio - Dinosaurs and Dragons

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:26 am

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:22 pm
Megazarak wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:12 pm
Also, a tease of what's to come:

Sounds like he wants to do some kind of dinosaur/dragon futuristic mash-up next. I've seen some of his dragon sculpts so not too surprising.

No idea yet if I want the Rexes. Leaning towards no, but there's a month to decide. I can see myself regretting it so I should probably just do it, but with that whole static leg situation I can see him doing a 2.0 version once he figures out how to optimize the balance on larger figures.
I hadn't noticed at first and assumed it was the whole leg, but it actually looks like it's only the lower leg that is static in the alt legs. Still knee movement, but not the feet.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:30 am

cmoney wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:26 am
I hadn't noticed at first and assumed it was the whole leg, but it actually looks like it's only the lower leg that is static in the alt legs. Still knee movement, but not the feet.

Where are you seeing that? In the parts pic below both legs in the lower-right look like a single piece.

cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:34 am

Look at the connection piece and which piece it matches in the exploded view. It looks to me like the static part plugs into the thigh piece at the knee. The joints it leaves out are the foot and the ... heel or whatever you call it?

EDIT: I suppose it's possible that the disc inside the static lower leg is frozen in place or something though and the knee won't move?
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Creative Beast Studio - Dinosaurs and Dragons

Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:43 am

Looks like the Tyrannosaur series is fully funded in under 13 hours. Now onto the stretch goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:04 pm

panther10 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:43 am
Looks like the Tyrannosaur series is fully funded in under 13 hours. Now onto the stretch goals.

Juvenile T-rex unlocked as I check it this morning.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:22 pm

Seems likely all revealed stretch goals will be hit today. Let's get to the unrevealed ones!
panther10

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:54 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:Seems likely all revealed stretch goals will be hit today. Let's get to the unrevealed ones!
Damn that’s some crazy good progress. Also it just occurred to me that even though I’ve been a Dino nerd for most of my life, this is probably the first time that I bought dinosaur figures that were based on actual specimens and paleontological findings instead of generic dinosaur figures like I had when I was a kid, or anything related to Jurassic Park. (Or even corrupted/influenced by Jurassic Park)

Well it’s a new chapter I suppose. Let’s hope it’s worth it

cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:24 pm

David's been answering a few questions about the Cyberzoic plans he has following this, and I like a lot of what I'm hearing. He's talked about using it as a way to fund molds across both lines (ie: some of the figures in Cyberoic will be ones from BotM but with different decos, and vice versa -- the armor is removable). But here's a quote I very much liked to see:

"Neither Beasts of the Mesozoic or Cyberzoic are limited to only dinosaurs, but Cyberzoic will offer an opportunity for animals outside of the Mesozoic era. All wildlife will be fair game with Cyberzoic."
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:30 pm

It's somehow kind of funny that in terms of wildlife we don't know of any besides dinosaurs and dragons, of all things. Definitely interested in finding out what else we might see from this line. I wonder how much the armour and blades and maybe even lasers (we might even be able to arm our Monoclonius and Rex) will add to the costs of these.
Pinbacker
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:01 pm

In the lastest update, David received the fine-cuts from the factory and was able to confirm that the Rexes, can, if fact, stand on their own, apart from the base. Just in case anyone was concerned about that…Image

panther10

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:03 pm

Man that 1/18 scale rex is a monster. According to David Silva, it’s bigger than the Red Rex from the Kenner JP line.

EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:21 pm

Pinbacker wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:01 pm
In the lastest update, David received the fine-cuts from the factory and was able to confirm that the Rexes, can, if fact, stand on their own, apart from the base. Just in case anyone was concerned about that…Image

I was definitely concerned, so thanks! Hadn't been paying attention to updates, kinda waiting until the end to fund it if I was going to. Probably will now.
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:30 pm

To add to that though
So apparently by using both of the fixed lower legs, these figures can indeed stand on their own without the aid of a base and foot pegs. Who knew? I saw a photo from the factory a while back showing this, but I was still skeptical. Now I can confirm that yes they do work. I would even say that surprisingly, the larger one is even more stable than the smaller one.
So at this point the fixed legs are being used to stand, not the articulated ones. I do wonder if the joints are sufficiently tightened that it would manage with the articulated legs. I can't imagine it wouldn't, especially when posed.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:37 pm

Megazarak wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:30 pm
To add to that though
So apparently by using both of the fixed lower legs, these figures can indeed stand on their own without the aid of a base and foot pegs. Who knew? I saw a photo from the factory a while back showing this, but I was still skeptical. Now I can confirm that yes they do work. I would even say that surprisingly, the larger one is even more stable than the smaller one.
So at this point they fixed legs are being used to stand, not the articulated ones. I do wonder if the joints are sufficiently tightened that it would manage with the articulated legs. I can't imagine it wouldn't, especially when posed.

Ah, you're right, you can tell there are no joints in those bottom legs. Hadn't noticed until you pointed it out.

Having all the weight focus on that one joint is definitely problematic unless they're VERY tight.
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:05 pm

panther10 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:03 pm
Man that 1/18 scale rex is a monster. According to David Silva, it’s bigger than the Red Rex from the Kenner JP line.

I don't really need anything that huge. Have we heard anything about stretches with the Kickstarter color sizes switched? Like 1/35 Dino Riders / 1/18 WWD? Of course that would necessitate smaller scale Ceratopsians. I'm ok with that!

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”