McFarlane Toys Dune

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
theflicker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys Dune

Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:05 pm

Making the Baron in 12" scale is such a weird decision.

Wish we could get some ornithopters, any scale.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:11 am

Having seen the movie now the costume choices seem odd. Why make Paul and his mom in these outfits instead of outfits appropriate for most of the first film? Mamoa and the other dude were fine as-is.

Still, that Chalamet likeness is REALLY good.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:14 am

theflicker wrote:Making the Baron in 12" scale is such a weird decision.

Wish we could get some ornithopters, any scale.

That's a polite way of putting it. I'd go further and say it was a stupid move. It's not a even a scale he really does in the first place, so I have no idea why they thought that was a good decision. I would have bought a Baron in the regular scale in a hot minute.

I also think they should have had a bit more of a mix with the first wave. They basically released 4 figures in still suits, with very little differentiation. You'd excuse a casual shopper for not understanding Stilgar and Duncan are two different figures.

Just questionable merchandising there altogether.

And yeah, people would have bought a few Sardukar even if they weren't Dune fans because they'd go with any scifi collection as troops.

Anyways, I bought the whole first wave and it's enroute. I'm hoping we see more.

misterskeezler on Instagram

useasneeded4pain
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:39 am

The BAF wave is a Deal of the Day on Amazon. $15.99 each, around 6 hours left.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:42 am

useasneeded4pain wrote:The BAF wave is a Deal of the Day on Amazon. $15.99 each, around 6 hours left.
Oh man. I paid $19 each which isn't bad, but that's a good price too. Though we may see more, since they sold the Witcher 3 figures for like $5 clearance prices, but they're still making more.

misterskeezler on Instagram

Buttmunch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:22 am

Got my set from the McFarlane store today. Overall the likenesses are actually pretty good but I’m the pale paint used on them all is just awful. Making 4 figures with only 2 bodies really cut costs there. Not really sure Javier should be on the same body as Mamoa but whatever. He needed his scraggly robe at least. Jessica and Paul being on the same body works well enough but it’s odd only the crotch padding is the only difference between a teenage boy and his mother.

Batista being the BAF was a mistake. He had a glorified cameo. Should have been the Baron. I had mistakenly assumed the Baron was in-scale but sold separately because of his girth. Even then he’s too big. The deluxe figure should have been a sand worm.

Javier should have not been in this wave. The Duke or Brolin should have been in that spot. And I really would have preferred their family outfits to the bland still suits but that reuse was too much to resist.

The line was doomed as soon as the film was delayed. It was already a risky line without much franchise familiarity from the public at large. They’d have done tepidly without the delay. The delay assured they’d be bound for the clearance bins. The character choices didn’t help either. I’d love to see more figures but I seriously doubt it. Maybe someone else will pick up the license if part 2 happens.
joshsquash729
CROM!

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:30 pm

I'm tempted to pick up Paul and Jessica, maybe even the Baron, as I really liked their characters. But yeah, knowing that we won't get any more kinda dulls the excitement a bit. Funko was able to knock out a few more characters, but I always prefer actual figures to Pops if I can help it. I hope another company gets the license for part 2, which in theory might sell a bit better since people would be familiar with the license by then, but even if they do, who knows if they'll go back and redo all the part 1 characters that won't be in part 2?
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:49 pm

I just received the wave today, and they are pretty nice figures. I'm tempted to do some customizing now that I've seen the movie, to bring out some depth to their faces and also get some of the robes that they wear in the desert. I'm still really bummed that Baron Harkonnen is at a completely different scale...such a foolish move. It'd be nice to see more, so fingers are pessimistically crossed.
Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:07 pm

So the figures have been around for awhile because of the delay but the movie (first half of the story) was just released and now the figures are being cleared out within days of the opening? :rolleyes:

Did the movie not do well enough and McF knows the second half is not going to be made?

And what about the supposed toy shortage this Christmas? We have two months still of shopping if the shortage was real wouldn't retailers want to keep their current stock and at full price?
theflicker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:12 pm

Second half was just announced, actually.

Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:30 am

theflicker wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:12 pm
Second half was just announced, actually.

https://www.cbr.com/dune-sequel-legendary-confirmed/

Yeah, I just read the story and the first half is considered both a box office and streaming success.

As a Dune fan, that is great news but makes the clearance even more confusing unless storage space is needed of a secret wave 2. :drool:
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:19 am

Anyone tried putting the Paul head on a Batman Beyond?
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:50 pm

now that the second part has been announced, i honestly thought it was already been filmed the same time as the first one guess; i was wrong.

i wonder if mcfarlane had the license for both movies instead of the one and because of the delay he couldn't make the more figures without spoiling the plot? i mean it's base off the book and we know what happens but i wonder if that's the reason we didn't more?

hopefully we'll see more figures now the movie is out and getting a sequel.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:36 am

He could have made plenty from Part One. Brolin, Oscar Isaac, the nun, the blue-eyed doctor, Paul and Jessica in House Atreides outfits, the Baron, Zendaya - that's two non-spoiler waves right there.

I take it McFarlane has been radio silent on another one of his one and done lines?
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:06 pm

wow! just saw in toyshiz insta, ross have the dune wave for $10.99!! check your stores if they have them.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”