The Star Trek thread

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Star Trek thread

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:18 pm

I have several of the Mego Star Trek figures also. I want to get their 14” Kirk and Spock. 8” Mego figures are all nice. They can’t really compare to those high end 12” Star Trek figures as far as in detail but they are priced right. I would love for someone like Jacks Pacific to do some of those extra large figures like they did for Star Wars. I mean who wouldn’t want a four foot tall Mr Spock to display in their collection?!
Nik
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:26 pm

Honestly, I know it will never happen, but a mega-sized Odo would be the bees knees. I would put him in my kitchen like those weird 3-4 ft tall chef statues that grandparents always have in theirs.
willbfree
Customized

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:13 pm

bgiles73 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:25 pm
willbfree wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:44 pm
The ball-joints at the top of the legs are not good. Wish they’d kept the v-shaped joints there instead.

But Target's price is good! Budget figures.
Do you really prefer the v-crotch over a more natural ball-joint? I have several of Playmates 90s figures from multiple lines as well as several from their newer lines and the newer articulation for the most part really enhances the figure. I really wish I still had my old bridge set to get comparison photos of these seated as well as the older figures. I think from the newest photos on Target’s website that these look a lot better than earlier photos. One of the photos showed some paint flaw on Data’s collar. They should have either fixed the picture or not included it in the shoot. Other than that little quibble I am pretty happy with these. I am ready for hands on reviews by fellow collectors.
Yeah because I don’t collect play sets, all my figures are standing. So the invisibility of the v-shaped joint was the best I’d seen. U-shaped are probably the worst. The ball-shape style of the new ones are in between - fairly easy to ignore but still visibly weird if you do look at them. Maybe that is more pronounced here because of the way the legs are a little long (or the torsos a little short).

The new shoulder and elbow connections look good.
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:56 pm

willbfree wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:13 pm
bgiles73 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:25 pm
willbfree wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:44 pm
The ball-joints at the top of the legs are not good. Wish they’d kept the v-shaped joints there instead.

But Target's price is good! Budget figures.
Do you really prefer the v-crotch over a more natural ball-joint? I have several of Playmates 90s figures from multiple lines as well as several from their newer lines and the newer articulation for the most part really enhances the figure. I really wish I still had my old bridge set to get comparison photos of these seated as well as the older figures. I think from the newest photos on Target’s website that these look a lot better than earlier photos. One of the photos showed some paint flaw on Data’s collar. They should have either fixed the picture or not included it in the shoot. Other than that little quibble I am pretty happy with these. I am ready for hands on reviews by fellow collectors.
Yeah because I don’t collect play sets, all my figures are standing. So the invisibility of the v-shaped joint was the best I’d seen. U-shaped are probably the worst. The ball-shape style of the new ones are in between - fairly easy to ignore but still visibly weird if you do look at them. Maybe that is more pronounced here because of the way the legs are a little long (or the torsos a little short).

The new shoulder and elbow connections look good.
I guess that makes a little bit more sense to me. I really loved GI Joe: A Real American Hero figures in the 80s so I really don’t notice anything here but usable articulation. I’m just glad we won’t have anything like DST’s Wonky Leg Data again. I’m in full agreement that sometimes too much articulation can make some figures look like pure garbage. A certain Dagobah Jedi Training Luke comes to mind or even diaper wearing Bespin Luke. I’m thankful none of these seem to suffer from the same sculpting abnormalities of the 2009 Playmates Star Trek line!
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:20 pm

Playmates new Star Trek figures are showing up in stock on Amazon and going really quickly. I have a preorder in at bigbadtoystore.com but I have not heard if they have them in yet. I went ahead and ordered a Kirk with Amazon and he should be in Monday. I really can’t wait to start seeing in-hand reviews of these!
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:35 pm

Or the next wave!

I've finished Strange New Worlds, Picard S2 and have started Disco S3 - which got a LOT better at first then started to feel like Discovery again. Prodigy is fine and fun though I still want to call it Progeny. It's actually made Janeway entertaining - did her figure ever get debuted?

Lower Decks I can put on, but it's still so shouty.

Anyway, I really hope Playmates gets toys going again - I have always enjoyed Trek more than Wars, and these shows all make me feel happy (even at its worst Picard still had Seven of Nine - though her random disappearance at the ballroom and the greenscreen explanation of that disappearance cracked me up).
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:57 pm

Yes I agree. I’m ready for Playmates to reveal more about what’s coming in future waves. I’m ready to start compiling wishlists and seeing what fellow collectors are wanting to see in this 5” line. I’m hoping that we can get away from hearing about what some are dissatisfied with in the line without even giving it a chance. I’m not trying to be a cheerleader for Playmates or anything like that. I just really dig retro-type figures and these are doing like Mattel is doing with their Masters of the Universe Origins line. Tweaking the articulation, but for the most part presenting the figures like the original 90’s line. I hope DST, Super7 or some other company will give those other fans that 7” super detailed line they are hoping for. I will probably even double dip, but I’m really happy Playmates is back!
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:59 pm

So... I found myself wishing recently that someone was doing a nice 1/12 or 1/10 scale Star Trek line not because I need the cast of any Trek show in figure form, but because I really want a modern, updated figure of the Mugato. The old Playmates version lived proudly in my 5" Marvel display. I have the Art Asylum Gorn figure happily ensconced with my 1/10 figures... but I really, really want a new Mugato.

Can't someone please pick up the Star Trek license to do 7 inch action figures so I can have the one single figure I want? Is that so much to ask? Sigh...
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:20 am

Maybe Playmates will do a new Mugatu. Their King Kong figures are pretty cool and a six or seven inch gorilla would scale up to a five inch Kirk better than the original figure! It helps that Mugatus were in a Lower Decks episode recently too! I’m all for deluxe sized monsters and aliens. The Hirogen in Voyager and Species 8471both seemed somewhat larger than humanoids. Maybe we will get those larger aliens from the 2009 movie and that big critter from Discovery Season One also!
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:35 am

I think a Kong sized Mugatu would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:52 am

Snagged kirk off Amazon. First impressions…he’s actually pretty great. He’s small though. He definitely lacks the exaggerated toy proportions of the original line. Which is fine with me. He has ankle joints but no rocker. Just pivot and swivel. The skirt is a rubber piece so it doesn’t impede leg movement.

The face looks good but lacks life. It’s just what happens without a lot of paint. I do like that the figure is all matte rather than the glossy sheen the old figures had.

At $12.99 I can’t complain about him. He’s pretty much perfect. Would I prefer a 6-7 version? Sure but we’ve been there and at this scale they could potentially bring back playsets. I’d love a wrath of Kahn enterprise bridge. Or even better undiscovered country.
Artistix
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:47 am

bgiles73 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:57 pm
I hope DST, Super7 or some other company will give those other fans that 7” super detailed line they are hoping for.
Super7 couldn't get the 6"/7" license for some reason. I had thought it was McFarlane at the time.
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:02 am

McFarlane certainly isn’t concerned about renewing that contract I’m sure. He has plenty of other fish to fry. Have you seen his reveals for upcoming Avatar releases? The two figures we got from McFarlane, well Kirk was insanely good but Picard wasn’t quite right. Any other 6 or 7” line would be a great counterpart line for Star Trek, but probably shouldn’t be the mainline. The primary line should be toyetic and seen as a gateway and an initiation into the universe of Star Trek!
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:26 pm

I should be getting data today. We will see how he is in hand. I can’t find the listings on Amazon for the rest of tng or twok figures. Anyone have a link saved?
bgiles73
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:11 am

If anyone here is on Instagram mylittletrekkiverse has a brief review up for the Data figure with photos. She has comparison photos with the 1990’s Data also.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”