The Star Trek thread

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Star Trek thread

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:10 am

I never bought the DST Enterprise D, but the removable saucer section always fascinated me and I still want it. Saw one recently at a local collectibles shop and kinda got excited - then realized it was the three nacelle variant in the regular ship box. :(

And while home over Christmas I noticed my Playmates Enterprise D's batteries have completely corroded, blue oozing out of the compartment. I forgot to actually fix that, but those batteries lasted decades!
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:48 am

JPC wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:10 am
I never bought the DST Enterprise D, but the removable saucer section always fascinated me and I still want it. Saw one recently at a local collectibles shop and kinda got excited - then realized it was the three nacelle variant in the regular ship box. :(

And while home over Christmas I noticed my Playmates Enterprise D's batteries have completely corroded, blue oozing out of the compartment. I forgot to actually fix that, but those batteries lasted decades!
I had the same thing happened to my Playmates D recently. I hope we get a new Playmates one!
stack32
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:00 pm

BBTS has them up at $17.99. I don't think nostalgia is quite worth that.
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:55 pm

For anyone thinking these will ever hope to match the premium quality of the DST ships, I think you should probably temper your expectations right now. I mean they were called ART Asylum for a reason. The only thing that ever came close to matching them done by Playmates is the packaging. Playmates 90s box art was beautiful. I wouldn't mind at all if they bring that back as an homage, but I wouldn't want straight reissues. Been there done that.

In terms of the figures, maybe they're trying to bring in a new generation and having watched what Origins has done for MOTU that's probably a smart plan. But for us old timers who have "been there done that" I'm feeling a very real deja vu here. In fact, some can probably go into your toy room and see the same thing! This isn't new territory at all. If the line fails to bring in new blood, there's not a lot to get excited for right yet. I'm interested in the 1701, But then I remember I have one of those already...in box. Plus a BETTER one from DST.

YES it will be nice to see Trek on shelves again (whenever I see a shelf again hah!), but beyond that most of the originals aren't much more (if that) online 24/7. You don't have to wait 6 months for release. And let's be honest. By now most of us--even those brought here only by the pandemic--are now well conditioned to buying online. If not you've truly been living under a rock that by now would've crushed you anyway. :D
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:16 pm

The more I think about, the more I'm cool with the 5" scale. Even if it's not exactly the same as the 90's figures. I'm not sure they'll be able to make new playsets with the way things are priced these days, so the option to use the old playsets in this scale is nice. Plus, with these new figures, I don't have to have Riker and Worf ready to tackle someone while at their bridge posts. There's a Q &A on youtube, and it sounds like these will retail for around $13 per figure, which is a relief now that I'm paying $23 plus for 6" Legends, Black Series and G.I . Joe.
Blackestday
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:05 pm

dchimpy wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:16 pm
The more I think about, the more I'm cool with the 5" scale. Even if it's not exactly the same as the 90's figures. I'm not sure they'll be able to make new playsets with the way things are priced these days, so the option to use the old playsets in this scale is nice. Plus, with these new figures, I don't have to have Riker and Worf ready to tackle someone while at their bridge posts. There's a Q &A on youtube, and it sounds like these will retail for around $13 per figure, which is a relief now that I'm paying $23 plus for 6" Legends, Black Series and G.I . Joe.
$15.99 each....just glanced at diamond since i had it open
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:32 pm

$12.99 MSRP is quoted directly from Playmates Toys. That doesn’t mean online retailers will necessarily follow it. Preordering online you are really only paying to have the product first. The way orders from Target and Walmart tend to go you might as well consider the mark up as kind of an insurance policy. All the people talking about how such and such has bee made already is really giving me deja vu from 1987-1993 when Trekkies from TOS would make remarks about how the new show wasn’t going to be popular or how they had Mego figures and didn’t need new figures. It’s been 20 years. There’s several new shows and they are trying to inspire whole new generations to follow the show. I don’t know of too many kids searching for 20 year old toys.
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:44 am

I mean it's cool if they just want the line to appeal to impulse shoppers while buying groceries. The way it is now I feel there's a whole division between types of shoppers anymore anyway. Those that still go stores and those who don't. But to reach all fans equally, this is likely not going to cut it. Unless you just like buying new things treading old ground. Maybe I'm just old now. There's a way to embrace the past while simultaneously going where no star trek line has gone before. This isn't it. I neither blame Playmates for going this route nor am I surprised. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a little bit disappointed. We're finally getting great (albeit pricey) 1/6 Trek figures. Where is the definitive 1:18 line we've asked for but has never been? I know 1:18 isn't *the* most popular scale right now. But I would argue it is at least 3rd place.
Artistix
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:51 am

They look ok for Playmates. Hopefully they don't overproduce the first few waves. Can't see these flying off shelves.

Playmates did much better promo images 25 years ago.

DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:06 pm

These don't even look like promo images so much as someone took a photo scan of a hard copy for an ebay auction lol. Old school before camera phones became the norm.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 pm

What's interesting about these reveals is they aren't the 5 (?) figures teased initially.

It really is disappointing that these aren't full product shots. We don't have a nice action based photo like most companies do when showing off the product. We don't have pics of the packaging. We don't have any indication of accessories. Nothing.

I'm looking forward to these because they will be able to sit in chairs unlike the old Playmates figures but if they don't come with a couple accessories they will be a big miss. And it's an easy thing to include.

With Wrath of Kahn stuff....I really hope they can find a way to give us a refit enterprise bridge.
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:49 pm

The product page mentions retro accessories (maybe one color like the originals), a base and retro packaging. So really almost an exact copy of the originals if history proves. Yes, if they can sit properly will be a pretty big improvement in that area.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:35 am

Has there been any news from Super7 about more TNG Retro figures? That packaging was beautiful and I want a Tasha!
Kassle
CROM!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:13 am

Sign me up for Tasha as well!
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:51 am

maverick10126 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 pm
With Wrath of Kahn stuff....I really hope they can find a way to give us a refit enterprise bridge.
A refit bridge and the TWOK crew would be a dream come true. I've been pining for that since 1984.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”