The Star Trek thread

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Sgt. Stinky
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Star Trek thread

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:30 pm

I like them. They are starting small assortment wise it looks like. I think they definitely look better than the originals and should be able to fit with original playsets and ships. I hope they sell well enough to get to 2023 expansion. We have been disappointed so many times since the original Playmates run.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:48 pm

Very nice! I wasn’t expecting to see TWOK right out of the gate! This looks like it could be a new Golden Age for Star Trek products!
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:53 pm

Interesting. So they went with a fusion of somewhat real, somewhat cartoony, and somewhat retro-nostalgic designs...

I like the TWOKs, but obviously not as good as the vastly superior Art Asylum versions.

Others...

Are destined to be pegwarmers.

These look like slightly less detailed versions of 5" Underground Toys Doctor Who figures. In scale and style.
Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:01 pm

None of these look good.
Sgt. Stinky
CROM!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:03 pm

I just hope they come with accessories and can hold them. They don't show any and some of those hands don't look like they could hold anything. Still I will be more than happy to start collecting Star Trek toys again!
thefamousnicknaro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:07 pm

I’ll probably grab a few, but man, Playmates just can’t seem to do smooth transitions where articulation is concerned.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 pm

They look alright but not enough photos and will need to see more overall. Are there multiple hands, etc? Otherwise I don't know how these will work with the odd doll hands.

I do like the sculpts, they all look quite good and I like that you know, they actually look like action figures.

I could definitely see picking up some of TOS and TOS movie figs.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:32 pm

Amazing_Spider-Man wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:01 pm
None of these look good.
I think the problem is they look cheap. Hopefully the pricing reflects that. These definitely aren't in the ballpark of ML/Black Series modern figures.

I like the updated facesculpts for Kirk, Picard and Khan... but the stylized bodies look very Mego Retro.

Especially evident on those TNG figures.
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:47 pm

I like these. Not what I was expecting exactly, but I think I'm on board depending on price. Classic size/scale, updated with a bit better sculpting and articulation. I'm especially happy with the Wrath of Khan figures. I need to see more photos/video of these.

The biggest advantage of these over the Diamond Select figures is that they will likely be more durable, so I suspect they'll hold up to more play/posing. Also, scale wise, they will hopefully fit in (mostly) with my vast 90's Playmates collection. 5" scale also mean playsets might be more feasible/cost effective.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:03 pm

The likenesses look good. They seem to have decent articulation. The open hands look useless though.

I have mixed feelings regarding these being the same scale as the 90s stuff. That stuff exists. Let it me. I think 1:18 would have been more interesting as it would be something new, although S7 is making that Reaction stuff. At least this line will be more articulated than the 90s line, which had rather useless articulation.
willbfree
Customized

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:08 pm

Looks like the modern shows will come branded as "New Universe", and the first of the "New Universe" is Burnham and Saru from Discovery. I was hoping for a modern Picard, modern Seven of Nine - everyone from the new Picard series, basically.

So, rather disappointed that "early 2023" seems to be when the "New Universe" will get more attention.

I can't make sense of the "nostalgic packaging" remakes of a few of the original 1990s figures (resculpted w/ smaller hands and different joints). Are there new fans of Next Gen - new fans who haven't thought to buy the originals on ebay?
The_Kilted_Fett
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:43 pm

I'm going to wait and see how they look side-by-side compared to my 90s stuff before I decide if I'm in.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:52 pm

So, $20, I bet.

It's one of those situations where you know Playmates can't actually do well with any line at this point, so you come in with extremely low expectations, and they just about hit that sweet spot mark of "lower quality than Mattel's worse effort, better quality than a dollar store figure" and you just have to take it for what it is.
Nik
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:06 pm

I'm in for the TOS and TNG figures, as long as their price reflects their attributes. Hopefully we can get DS9 stuff ASAP.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:31 pm

These don’t look bad but they should be better than they are. Even the pics look like they were cheaply done.

If these end up like the Turtle/Cobra Kai sets then good luck.

I’m in for a few regardless. Especially any Classic Or TNG era ships or play sets.

Make the Reliant please to go with Khan atleast.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”