The Star Trek thread

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Star Trek thread

Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 am

bgiles73 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:52 pm
Visionary wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:35 pm
If they hate Star Trek so much then why bother to ruin the franchise and lower its value for a big sale? They really don’t care because they jump jobs so easily. There is no loyalty to Star Trek from any of them,they just wanna make a name for themselves and a buck.

The recipe for Trek success is pretty easy. Cool characters on a ship in space interacting with other cool characters in space.

Is there a release date for Pike and Crew?
Not all the folks working on the new shows are come and go. Jonathan Frakes has directed several episodes. Actors, writers , filming crew, creative design people, etc have added input here and there. Also, Deep Space Nine showed us that a good story didn’t need to be tied to a single starship to be a great adventure. I’m not trying to tell anyone what to like or not. I’m just saying the shows are starting to find their way and if the history of all the shows since TNG is anything to go by, then by the third season of each, that’s where the shows truly each became great.
I’m not talking about those who work on the shows themselves. I am referring to the Network Execs that make changes to fit their social agendas or whatever else instead of concentrating on a great product.

But hey I get it.Things change and not everybody has to like it.

Deep Space Nine was technically a ship in space that barely moved.

As for good Trek and good writing I’m patiently waiting for Orville Season 3. Former TNG writers and producers make it feel soooo good.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:02 am

Longbowhunter wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 am
Ash Talon wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:43 am
This could be a real interesting thread in a week. I have a feeling some of you could be very disappointed. Then again, maybe you're fans of the new shows, as I can see the new shows, especially the animated ones, getting most of the new product.
Thats the thing about Trek-its such an evergreen brand and has numerous generations of fans. I know this line is not going to be focused on MY era of Trek,but I hope it wont be ignored entirely.
I think they are going to try to give us a mix of everything. I’m hoping they are able to keep the prices of these in the
same range as their Ben 10 figures $9.99 for a 4 1/2 inch scale figure will really be competitive if kids buy into Prodigy. I’m not sure if these are going to be that price range and scale but if they are
I could definitely see parents buying these for kids when Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black Series are roughly $23.99 and Vintage Original Trilogy Collection is around $15 for a 3 3/4 inch figure. Star Trek could be competitive if they keep the toys visually interesting for the kids. Prodigy is doing a nice job so far. All the shows are really doing some exciting things with costumes and makeup and it’s really going to pop as action figures. There are many great alien designs to do also since it’s not merely foreheads appliances scattered here and there. I’m so anxious to hopefully get a Tholian action figure, by Andorians, Tellarites, Orions, Klingons, etc are all going to keep me happy too. I hope we get Linus the Rigellian from the Discovery crew too! Oh what exciting times!
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:33 pm

The Orville is the new old Trek. (They even have their preachy moments lol) And unlike TNG they didn't take 3 seasons to heat things up. If they manage to hang on for more after this one, I can only imagine what lies ahead.
willbfree
Customized

Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:28 am

I predict they’ll be $18.99 each or more.
willbfree
Customized

Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:10 pm

TrekCore shows that Hallmark will be releasing a simple Borg alcove in the fall, which they are describing as a place to put your cell phone - but which appears in reality to be a place to show off a Playmates-sized Borg action figure. No price info or preorder yet.

Remember years ago Hallmark had a Christmas ornament with a Borg alcove? Looks like this is the same design, just without anyone standing in it, and with fewer paint applications (indeed it is just grey plastic with a green sticker for the energy disc thing - the luminglas plasma disc or whatever it is called in-universe). No info on the size either, but large enough to place a small cell phone into it.

Depending on the price I’d like to pick up two or three of them.
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:37 pm

So, what are everyone's hopes and expectations for the Playmates reveals tomorrow? For myself, I see them showing the six figures they're teased already, maybe a starship or two, maybe a tease about upcoming figures/characters. I hope they discuss future plans. I'd love two lines, a six inch collector series similar to the Star Wars Black series, and a retro line that fits with the old 90's Playmates line.
Nik
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:56 pm

My dream is for a Star Trek 3.75 line that produces figures comparable to the Star Wars Vintage Collection line, with great detail, articulation, paint and accessories, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:20 pm

If they do reveal a 3.75" line (that's a big if), I'd be all on board with that, assuming it's better executed than the 2009 Trek Movie line. I've thought about that scale a lot for Star Trek, and one of my pipe dreams would be a line in 3.75" scale with compatible bridge/engine room/etc. playsets. There's so many of these they could do.

In fact, if they can't do a 6" line on par with black series in terms of likenesses, sculpt, and articulation, then I think I'd prefer a 3.75". That scale lends itself to more play-ability, and hasn't really been explored to it's full potential for the Trek franchise, unlike 5" and 6"/7" scales have been.
Johnny_Utah
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:21 pm

I am expecting a line mostly focused on NuTrek.

Not sure about scale, but I bought the old Playmates TNG crew off ebay again and they're amazing. Anything here will be a nice surprise as long as they don't go down the 2009 line route.

The promise of ships is very exciting too. The D was one of my all time favourite Christmas presents back in the day.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:27 pm

I'm definitely not a fan of the Nu Trek, and I'm skeptical those shows will have the same casual mainstream buyer appeal as TNG did in the 1990s during the height of the Playmates releases.

However, I'm looking forward to the reveals tomorrow. Whether this will be a continuation of the 90s Playmates line, or their attempt to do a 'Black Series' Collector line. Or will they be cartoony 'reaction' style figures to capitalize on the nostalgia.

It will be interesting to see how close or different they are to the 90s versions.

I was under 10 when I got most of these, so it has been a long while.
Piffy
The Fruity Guy

Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:39 am

We've already seen teasers for this line haven't we? It's literally all NuTrek stuff, right? Like, we saw character outlines, didn't we?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Amazing_Spider-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:55 am

I just hope that the figures they've teased actually look good.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:14 am

I wonder if Playmates is going to up their level of reaction with the collectors of Star Trek. I remember back in 1999 before the internet was really being fully utilized, Playmates included a postcard asking questions about what we would like to see going forward. Toy Fare magazine and similar publications where how we knew what was going on. Art Asylum was doing some sculpting for Playmates and they really kicked off the social media thing after Playmates was out and in the in between years that DST came in. DST used to be great at keeping us up to date on things MSWORD God bless him, tries his best to keep us current but it just seems like DST never really did all they could to keep Star Trek alive there. I really wonder how Playmates handles Star Trek in these challenging times. I personally like those two YouTube guys at “Look at My Star Trek Toys”. I think they could be to Star Trek what Pixel Dan is to Masters of the Universe! How’s everyone else feel PR for the line should be done?
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 pm

https://www.startrek.com/gallery/playma ... collection

Not bad-I like the assortment choices. May get the WOK and TNG figures and definitely getting the ships and the phaser. Good start Playmates-now dont forget DS9 and we’re all good!
Johnny_Utah
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:26 pm

A very good start.

Buying everything except Disco.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”