The Star Trek thread

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Star Trek thread

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:29 am

I’m only interested in older stuff so I think Data is all I’d potentially want.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:15 am

I don’t watch any of the new shows. Watched the first 2 seasons of Discovery and didn’t hate it but wasn’t really Trek imo.
Still waiting for the Pike show to start and pray the writing is good.

What I’ve seen of Picard doesn’t do much for me but I do like seeing Q in the Season 2 trailer.

If we can get a good mix of Trek history with this new line and some ships I’ll happy.

If Playmates tries they can do great stuff but if they mail it in like Karate Kid/Turtles then this line will fail.

Give me

Quark
Nog
Garak
Gul Dukat
Kahless

Enterprise C
Reliant
Romulan Warbird TNG
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 am

Ash Talon wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:43 am
This could be a real interesting thread in a week. I have a feeling some of you could be very disappointed. Then again, maybe you're fans of the new shows, as I can see the new shows, especially the animated ones, getting most of the new product.
Thats the thing about Trek-its such an evergreen brand and has numerous generations of fans. I know this line is not going to be focused on MY era of Trek,but I hope it wont be ignored entirely.
Sgt. Stinky
CROM!

Playmates return to Star Trek toys

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:17 pm

So it looks like on 01/24/22 Playmates will be showing their new Star Trek Universe line(s). I for one can't wait to see what they offer. Mego 1970's Star Trek were some of the first action figures I ever played with and the Original Series is my all time favorite TV show. I still have all my Star Trek toys I have ever gotten. I am sure mostly the initial offerings will be focused on the current properties but I hope it covers all Star Trek and I hope there is 6 inch ML articulation style figures in the mix. Anyone else excited/hopeful for what may come? Hopefully the third time around is the charm.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Playmates return to Star Trek toys

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:30 pm

Honestly, even though they've lost all value these days... I think Playmates could start making Star Trek figures in the same design as their old ones and probably tap into nostalgia and boom that market.

They won't, but I think they could.
PresidentJuggernaut
Runs Around in Tights

Re: Playmates return to Star Trek toys

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:52 pm

I would hate that, there's megos and ReAction and plenty of other gimmicky nostalgia toys for Star Trek available. We don't need more "kinda crappy, but on purpose" Stark Trek on shelves right now. A quality, comprehensive line of action figures that eventually dips into all eras would be fantastic. I don't have faith in Playmates to deliver that though (but it would be great to be proven wrong!). They have yet to produce any high quality modern action figures, especially based on human likenesses. Of the major toy companies, they are firmly on the lower end at this point.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:27 pm

If whatever line Playmates produces is scattershot across shows/eras, it's going to take a good long while to complete any crew. Do we think Playmates has that follow through? Also, it'll be interesting to see how product does. Star Trek hasn't been a merchandise mover in a good long while.
Visionary wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:15 am
Still waiting for the Pike show to start and pray the writing is good.
A friend of mine is a writer on the Pike show. I hope it's good but from what I hear the people running the brand (and higher ups at the network) don't even like Star Trek. Hence why everything new really doesn't feel like Star Trek. I suppose the brand needed a shake-up, but what they're putting out just doesn't appeal to me.

I really can't stand Discovery. Other than production value, I don't like anything about it. The first season of Picard (all I saw) was terrible. Haven't tried the animated stuff, although Progeny has a nice look to it. I think I'll have to be content with Heroes & Icons running the old shows.
Nik
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:48 pm

I only watch TOS, TNG and DS9, for the same reason I don't watch the Matrix sequels, Indiana Jones 4 or the Pirates sequels: my time is valuable and I don't waste it on things that I'm not going to enjoy. I've read enough about STD to know it's not for me. Ash's hearsay about the higher-ups not liking Star Trek makes so much sense that I'm inclined to believe it wholeheartedly.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:35 pm

If they hate Star Trek so much then why bother to ruin the franchise and lower its value for a big sale? They really don’t care because they jump jobs so easily. There is no loyalty to Star Trek from any of them,they just wanna make a name for themselves and a buck.

The recipe for Trek success is pretty easy. Cool characters on a ship in space interacting with other cool characters in space.

Is there a release date for Pike and Crew?
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:43 pm

Visionary wrote:
star trek: strange new worlds will premiere thursday may 5.
here is a link for all the show lineup premiere dates.
https://www.startrek.com/news/the-star- ... on-pickups
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:00 pm

I’m not going to take the time to pinpoint every moment in each of the shows where homage to the entire legacy of Star Trek can be seen. You can bring a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Sure not everything in all of the new shows is going to appeal to everyone. That is an unrealistic expectation. Anyone with the delusion that they are going to be entirely pleased with something, unless they are the creative director and producer is already setting themselves up for a letdown. There are some things I don’t like too, but the continuation of contracts and green lighting of new seasons is certainly pointing to success. I think it’s very positive that Playmates branding is for Star Trek Legacy as one big product line. I think we will find new products coming in at a pace where we won’t notice the time between completion of crews. I will say this too the last few episodes of Prodigy has really done a lot of fan service in introducing characters and ideas from across several shows. If you haven’t watched across all the shows the way some have then you might be missing something. I have been a fan of Star Trek since my Dad introduced me to The Original Series after I first watched The Wrath of Khan on Showtime around the same year Return of the Jedi was in theaters 1983. Star Trek has had its ups and downs in all that time and for every iteration it’s had its winners and it’s losers.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:52 pm

Visionary wrote:
If they hate Star Trek so much then why bother to ruin the franchise and lower its value for a big sale? They really don’t care because they jump jobs so easily. There is no loyalty to Star Trek from any of them,they just wanna make a name for themselves and a buck.

The recipe for Trek success is pretty easy. Cool characters on a ship in space interacting with other cool characters in space.

Not all the folks working on the new shows are come and go. Jonathan Frakes has directed several episodes. Actors, writers , filming crew, creative design people, etc have added input here and there. Also, Deep Space Nine showed us that a good story didn’t need to be tied to a single starship to be a great adventure. I’m not trying to tell anyone what to like or not. I’m just saying the shows are starting to find their way and if the history of all the shows since TNG is anything to go by, then by the third season of each, that’s where the shows truly each became great.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:34 pm

I can't comment on the quality of any of the new shows, but the idea that nobody over there cares or values the shows, is pretty silly when there are more Star Trek shows on the air right now than at any point in history. They obviously see some value in the property. Whether it's being treated right, is obviously up for debate.

I'm mildly interested in the Pike show, but I'm not subscribing to any channels for Star Trek.

As far as toys, they really have to thread the needle. In the land of Mego, only the TOS stuff seems to move. TNG stuff just doesn't sell and I think most of the modern stuff is the same. I know MMs had issues with TNG and new Trek stuff moving. The reality is, the biggest most successful Star Trek toyline was Playmates old line. Can they capture that lightning in a bottle again? I guess we'll see.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:29 pm

That’s the real question. Bringing the original sculpting team back in seems to be an attempt to get back to what they did right in that 90’s line. I guess it remains to be seen if the modern techniques meshes well with that. I really like what customizes are doing in that old Playmates style and I bought a lot of Ben 10 figures between now and the 2009 Star Trek line just thinking about maybe customizing a few of my own on that better articulation. I’m happy that I might not have to. I’m really hopeful we get holes in our old collection filled in, revised articulation and features on a lot if not all of those old offerings too. In much the same way Hasbro has revised their original Kenner figures. I can’t remember the last time I looked forward to a Monday as I am now!
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:25 am

The problem with Mego is that their TNG head sculpts look like that scene in SPACEBALLS when they capture the stunt-doubles. I think Trek could really benefit from having a more animated style line similar to the look of the current Trek game on Apple Arcade. Like NECAS Toony Terror line but Star Trek.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”