The Star Trek thread

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Star Trek thread

Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:37 am

dchimpy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:38 am
I would think they would do a Seven of Nine from Picard, since she was portrayed as such a gun-toting, badass action hero. Same goes for Picard's young sword wielding Romulan bodyguard.

It tough to temper expectations for this line. There's so much they could do (and re-do from the 90's in a better form). I don't envy Playmates, having a 50+ year franchise, which came in several iterations, some of which are either loved, despised, or generally ignored by the different generations of fans. Some want to see Enterprise, some don't want to see any NuTrek, some just want TOS or Next Gen, and some have never even seen Discovery.

I myself am torn. Do I really want a continuation of the 5" line? I think so. Have I been begging for years or a 6-7" super poseable TOS Kirk and Spock with photo real, like the Hasbro's MCU or Black Series figures? Absolutely!

I just can't wait to see what they do.
K_Steel wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:18 am
I mean by this point, she's quite obscure.

That would be great if they did figures that weren't done in the 1990s 4.5' line. However, it's more likely they'll just redo Kirk, Spock, Picard and other major players, while the bulk of new releases are Nu-Trek based.

I'm perplexed on what figures they could even do from "Picard" that wouldn't be pegwarmers. Picard in Uniform is all that comes to mind. Maybe uniformed Riker based on one minute of screentime.

The rest of the characters are just generic humans and human-looking individuals in casual attire.
I think your thinking is similar to what a lot of us are thinking. I know that out of the most outspoken collectors of the original Playmates figures the most desirable format is for a return to the 4 1/2 inch figures of the initial waves in the 90’s and Varner studios who sculpted those is back for this relaunch. Playmates has continued in the same scale over the years for TMNT and Ben 10 so it’s apparently a scale they are comfortable with. The new shows love to pull old characters back into play so newer audiences will have some familiarity with classic characters and aliens. Janeway will be an important character on Prodigy albeit a hologram of her younger self from the Voyager years. We honestly have no idea who might appear or be referenced in new series that are being produced nor do we know what could possibly happen in even a Short Trek episode. Paramount’s plan is to make Star Trek an expanded and interconnected universe similar to what Disney has done for Marvel and now Star Wars. The marketing people listed as their goals to do so recently and animation and extensive toy lines was all part of a greater plan. Theme Park Experiences is listed in their plans too. Everyone wants some of Mickey Mouse’s cheese. The same is happening with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:56 am

K_Steel wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:30 am
If it were up to me, forget about kids and mass retail. That can happen down the line if or when the shows gain that level of appeal.

For now, make the line more adult collector-focused (that's where Trek's niche appeal is) and perhaps even limit it to specialty retailers, like how the Diamond Select toys were sold.

Go with ML/Black Series-style poseable figures in the 6' range, priced around 20-25. That's very much the industry standard nowadays.

The 4.5 classic Playmates toys were great for their time (and the very beginning of the adult toy collector market..30 years ago), but the times have changed. Going backwards is counterproductive, and there are retro Trek nostalgia toylines already.
So basically do what DST/Art Asylum did for the last 20 years. Hasbro had the license after Playmates 2009 attempt and they didn’t bring out the Star Trek/ Marvel Legends 6 inch line you so desired. McFarlane the same thing. You said it yourself these companies don’t see the viability of Star Trek. Retro style figures have a successful comeback- Mego is killing it with Star Trek figures, Super7 does a TOS Reaction line first in partnership with Funko and now on their own of TNG crew…..People are literally begging Bryan Flynn at Super7 to do a line of Retro Playmates style Star Trek figures and then along comes the announcement that Playmates is back with Star Trek and there is a big push for animation for kids. I think your best bet for that collector line your hoping for is maybe asking for a Super7 Ultimates line, because Todd McFarlane, NECA, Hasbro and various others have all passed on the niche type line you are asking for.
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:08 am

I'll agree with you that Playmates most definitely hasn't shown that they can deliver an ML-esque Collectors Line.

The Ben 10 kiddy stuff seems very much up the alley of what they could do with Nu Trek properties and some of the older stuff. If older nostalgic fans are buying em, just like the Megos.. it could be sustainable.

But meh, seems like a waste when Marvel, Star Wars, GI Joe, Ghostbusters, Power Rangers, DC and more have highly articulated 6'-7' figures, many designed for adult collectors while keeping the modern trends and standards of action figures in mind.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:19 am

K_Steel wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:08 am
I'll agree with you that Playmates most definitely hasn't shown that they can deliver an ML-esque Collectors Line.

The Ben 10 kiddy stuff seems very much up the alley of what they could do with Nu Trek properties and some of the older stuff. If older nostalgic fans are buying em, just like the Megos.. it could be sustainable.

But meh, seems like a waste when Marvel, Star Wars, GI Joe, Ghostbusters, Power Rangers, DC and more have highly articulated 6'-7' figures, many designed for adult collectors while keeping the modern trends and standards of action figures in mind.
I agree with you such a line would be great. I long hoped that Hasbro would have grabbed the license. I know Mattel has flirted around the license with Hot Wheels Star Trek Ships and Star Trek Mega Construx. They are doing 6” collectors figures for Jurassic Park in their Amber Series. Maybe Star Trek. In all honesty nothing is confirmed in stone that Playmates is going to be anything like classic 90’s Playmates and they are in fact trying to do their own Marvel Legends type line. That all remains to be seen. If these look like Ben 10 and old 90’s Star Trek I will be happy as well. I’m just thrilled to have Star Trek back as action figures. I think I am nearing the point where I am nearing over saturation with Star Wars and I need an alternative!
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:50 am

Speaking of Mego, other than official press releases or just checking with stores, where is the majority finding upcoming news and following the line? Is there a go-to place for such info and/or shopping? Only retail store I've found is Target. My closest is not exactly close, and might as well be on the far side of the moon with the pandemic stretching on.
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:05 pm

DennyCrane wrote:
Speaking of Mego, other than official press releases or just checking with stores, where is the majority finding upcoming news and following the line? Is there a go-to place for such info and/or shopping? Only retail store I've found is Target. My closest is not exactly close, and might as well be on the far side of the moon with the pandemic stretching on.
If you happen to be in the Great Lakes region, the Meijer chain carries Mego as well.
Artistix
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:39 pm

DennyCrane wrote:
Speaking of Mego, other than official press releases or just checking with stores, where is the majority finding upcoming news and following the line? Is there a go-to place for such info and/or shopping? .
The Mego Museum forums may be helpful:
http://megomuseum.com/community/

DennyCrane wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:54 am
Ezri isn't THAT obscure. She was one of the featured players in the last? season of DS9. I'm actually surprised she didn't get a main release. But by that time, practically *every* release was limited.
I was glad DST included her.

Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:57 pm

That DST line was good, but it seems like the scale kind of jumped all over the place a bit. Weren't Worf and Riker inexplicably huge for some reason? I remember some reviewers going off on that, and so I never got into that line.

The Into Darkness figures seemed like a huge step in the right direction from an action figure and accessory standpoint, but I just don't think customers had a huge attachment to the new Trek stuff. TNG figures with that level of detail, articulation and accessories would have been a dream come true.

I still wish we had some sort of 1:10 scale line, since ST would fit really well with those collector lines. I understand that Playmates has a scale they work with, but I'm just not interested in collecting a third scale, since I already have huge 3.75" and 1:10 scale collections.Image

misterskeezler on Instagram

bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:16 pm

DennyCrane wrote:
If you are on Facebook look for Mego Ambassadors Facebook Group. This is very informative and often has Facebook live updates where the President of Mego Toys, Marty Abrams- That’s thevMan from the Netflix Star Trek episode of “The Toys That Made Us”, well Marty and others from Mego really break it down what’s coming from Mego.

Also look up Frank Wojo - His company Absolute Retro is fast and reliable at getting you new waves of Mego at a great cost and in excellent condition.

The Facebook Live for the Ambassador Group is worth watching and participating in for sure!
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:43 pm

Thanks gang! I'll check those out. Not a huge Mego fan these days--guess I've been spoiled by the excellent Necas presentation vs minimalist Mego-- but I always like to pick up the mains in any case. Hopefully can still find the TWOK Kirk & Spock. Also hoping Playmates does more of their 9inch and we can finally get those unreleased figures.
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:23 am

I've found that the most up-to-date Mego news seems to come thru the 'Mego Ambassador' facebook page.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:47 pm

What character's release would most get your attention if they actually made figures that matched the old line?

Deanna in her teal dress? Never been done. Or Nurse Ogawa? Ezri? Enterprise anyone in that scale? Janeway with later hair?

I don't necessarily need new figures in old scales, but I think IF Playmates were to play like that, those are some of the ones I'd most like to add to my collection.

Maybe figures that match stylistically with the old Playmates could be exclusives while mass market product is updated to today's standards? Size could be the same. I don't feel like jumping down the nostalgia well, but those collections are so complete it would be cool to add to them so many years later.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:05 pm

The fact that the old line had characters like Lwaxana Trois for example makes going back with that scale really appealing to me. I doubt seriously any new line will ever get to characters like her again, but it will be nice to have her in the collection since that figure already exists. If the new scale is the same as the old it would be great to finally get a Mr Homn figure with the following accessories -Lwaxana’s suit case, the bell gong, and his beverage. There’s several holes to fill in with the old line so I hope this new line and the old one will be complimentary of the other.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:10 pm

The Mego McCoy with short sleeves is ungodly pale for some reason. Looks like the salt vampire got to him.

The DST figures, including Riker/Worf, were taller than the Art Asylum TOS figures, which was disappointing. I do remember Riker and Worf being taller than the rest of the crew, but they are larger people in real life. It's been a while since I've looked at the figures, though.
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:37 pm

Yeah, Frakes and Dorn are 6'3.

Whatever scale or style that Playmates goes with for the Nu Trek line, they should (at least) adapt removeable Ball Joint heads.

That way collectors could 'headswap' characters to different uniforms.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”