The Star Trek thread

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Star Trek thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Todd never explained why it was canceled, he doesn’t do a lot of interaction with fans like most toy companies do like neca or diamond select; so it’s hard to know what happened.

As for neca, at least from what I remember reading on Twitter, he does lines he is a fan of. So,it could be he wasn’t a fan of Star Trek or could be other reasons, maybe it didn’t cost out for him or he thought he wouldn’t make a profit.
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:56 pm

Right on all counts. Randy's not a fan and sees (or at least did) Trek as a risk in the vein of LOTR. Both were dead at retail for a good period. Art Asylum Trek are great and did ok at retail, not stellar. Which is why each successive wave less and less were made until Diamond went back to 1701 Limited releases. Discovery S1 which was about when the first McToys appeared, also was a slow burn. With all that and Mezco's failed attempts, It's somewhat understandable Trek is (has been) a retail hot potato.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:47 am

Mego has had great success with Star Trek. While not perfect these are great toys. Mego keeps putting out fresh characters and not just rehashing the same characters over and over. I think that a commitment to deliver that is visible right out the gate is what Star Trek has been lacking since Playmates left the scene in 1999. Nobody wants an incomplete collection. Even Art Asylum never delivered on Travis Mayweather’s bridge station. If the developers of a project has no confidence in their product, why should the consumer?
FPJonesIII
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:11 pm

Ash Talon wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:25 am
I don't believe Hasbro has ever had the Star Trek license.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
They got it around the time of the release of Into Darkness, had a very promising sounding announcement, including action figures and role play items, and then did so little with it...
NEW BATMAN wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:50 pm
Todd never explained why it was canceled, he doesn’t do a lot of interaction with fans like most toy companies do like neca or diamond select; so it’s hard to know what happened.
I'm pretty confident it's due to a lack of retailer support. Retailers are why the phaser was delayed and eventually canceled, and I'd be shocked if the retailer issues stopped there. Also, not indicative of things as a whole, but I never saw their Kirk and Picard figures at retail in my area.

The sad thing is that, at least in my opinion, the disinterest in Star Trek products at mass retailers is the fault of the retailers themselves. They overestimated interest and ordered way too much of Playmate's Toys 2009 Star Trek line's first wave. Which is a big reason that line shelf warmed so badly and as a result was the only wave released.

Anyways, I'm going to try and give Playmate's Toys a chance, but I'm not going to hope for much.
scottg10
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:28 pm

The McFarlane phaser not being released had nothing to do with retailers. It seems that U.S. regulations around the sale of toys that look like guns put the kibosh on that, at least from what I've read.

More on the phaser:
https://blog.trekcore.com/2018/06/mcfar ... ellations/

As for the figures, in a recent interview I recall from the last year or so, McFarlane hinted at Star Trek as something that just didn't work out in relation to successful sales, so that probably tracks. Although I also get the impression that McFarlane may not had a positive experience dealing with CBS, so maybe that was also a contributing factor.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:30 pm

Well, the real reason the Playmates line pegwarmed so badly was because it was garbage. 'Not making garbage product' seems to be the big issue companies skip over.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:50 pm

I saw on Instagram they brought back the design team from Playmates 90s Star Trek team Varner Studios. From what I gather this design team was not a part of the 2009 attempt. So far they haven’t revealed much but I seriously think they are going for original scale but with much better detail and improved articulation. I bet we see pictures soon, either SDCC virtual or the Big Star Trek Con in Vegas or both. Both Paramount and Playmates Toys know a lot is banking on this. I don’t expect a repeat of the 2009 failure. I think retail will be cautious and play it safe so these might trickle in at first.
willbfree
Super Poseable

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:57 am

I wonder if they will continue with the concept of using bases that resemble whatever comm badge or cultural logo the character uses or identifies with. That worked well. But…

Since Picard is not on a Starfleet mission, that could mean his base is just the comm badge of the ship he hires… which feels a little wrong. If they give him a Starfleet base, I wonder if it will be exactly the same mold as it was in the mid to late 1990s. Same question for the Romulan characters when they get to those… the old Romulan base (for figures like Sela) looked great. The old Borg base didn’t look good though, and the Klingon one was rubbish as well with its bright red and yellow color scheme.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:08 am

I had not thought about those figure stands in a while. Mine were all lost in one of my many moves. I remember they used to include a lot of accessories all molded in bright crazy colors. I hope this time the accessories have more accuracy and paint ops. I also would not mind seeing phaser and disruptor blasts that are removable. It will be cool to see dilithium crystals and other props again as well.
willbfree
Super Poseable

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:43 pm

Yeah the tricorders included with the figures, and other accessories the figures held, were brightly colored (neon) plastic, which may be why I never displayed those. I’m sure they’ll be more realistic this time.

I’d forgotten how Playmates made the blue science/medical uniforms green and refused to change them to blue no matter the evidence that >90% of the time the blue uniforms looked blue: http://www.startrekcostumeguide.com/p/t ... olors.html
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:41 am

willbfree wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:43 pm
Yeah the tricorders included with the figures, and other accessories the figures held, were brightly colored (neon) plastic, which may be why I never displayed those. I’m sure they’ll be more realistic this time.

I’d forgotten how Playmates made the blue science/medical uniforms green and refused to change them to blue no matter the evidence that >90% of the time the blue uniforms looked blue: http://www.startrekcostumeguide.com/p/t ... olors.html
That’s kinda like the whole Empire Strikes Back Hoth Han Solo coat debacle! Is it blue or is it brown? Lol
I too am also ready for some new ships. I had to drop my Eagle Moss sub before I got 100 ships in. It will be nice to finally have some I can take off the stand and imagine I’m at the helm and about to warp off to some new adventure. I really hope that in addition to light and sound ships they can do some small collector ships like MicroMachines too! It would be great to have all the great ships that Eaglemoss has done, but at a more affordable price.
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:56 pm

Eaglemoss can be had for less and they often have sales--though in recent time the sales have been lacking. Pound for pound they skunk the Playmates but they can be fragile. Now if you want to talk Diamond, that's a whole nother ball of wax. Those are things of beauty and I'll truly miss them. Not that we've had anything but reissues the past few years...
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:16 am

DennyCrane wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:56 pm
Eaglemoss can be had for less and they often have sales--though in recent time the sales have been lacking. Pound for pound they skunk the Playmates but they can be fragile. Now if you want to talk Diamond, that's a whole nother ball of wax. Those are things of beauty and I'll truly miss them. Not that we've had anything but reissues the past few years...
I love Eaglemoss. That being said I don’t feel comfortable taking them off their stands or out of the display cabinet. I really want something like Micro Machines where we can have a whole bunch that can be handled and battles of the Dominion War, Wolf 359, TWOK, etc can all be re-enacted without fear of breaking our little ships! Lol As for the big ships, I do truly love what DST has given us, but how long has it been since? I’m hoping Playmates will have upped their game in strides. With all the new photo real printing technology that is available now they no longer need to make paint tampos or masks for painting intricate details like hull Aztec-ing. I believe this will cut some of the manufacturing costs and enable Playmates to give us some pretty nice ships. If DST ever decides to release that Reliant I am sure nobody will try to block it provided DST retains any of their Star Trek license.
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 am

Although I haven't read anything, with this announcement I have my doubts they still do. But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong!
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:34 am

DennyCrane wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 am
Although I haven't read anything, with this announcement I have my doubts they still do. But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong!
Understandably so good sir! You are not wrong in desiring a near QMX level of detail for a fraction of that cost. Playmates is going to scratch that itch and need for toys for kids and those of us that are never growing up even when they are rapidly approaching 50 years of age! Yep I’m turning 48 tomorrow! There is definitely room for Star Trek collectible for people of all different walks of life. I too hope DST continues to offer Star Trek product and I’m sure that I will be ready to put my preorders in right along with the rest of you all!

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”