McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
User avatar
drkknght64
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 4126
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 9:57 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:17 am

Order of the Bloody Rose is in stock at GameStop for $19.99. I grabbed her and Ciri from the Witcher 3 in stock as well for the free shipping.
User avatar
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Dark Canadian Dimension
Posts: 9249
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:24 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:03 am

sanityattack wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:18 pm
I'm misinterpreting nothing. This comes from my own lived experience of having girlfriends and later my wife, made to feel threatened for participating in table top wargaming.
They 'felt' threatened? Or were they actually threatened? If the latter, did you phone the cops? Or at least the event organizer? Is this normal in your town for women to sit down in social gatherings and feel/get threatened? What was the situation? The conflict? I assume there could have been other factors besides men vs women. It probably had more to do with particular personalities, as is the case when strangers are put together and some find they don't along. I wouldn't doubt that some eccentric nerd went off the deep end either. If so, I doubt example nerd represented all male conduct.
sanityattack wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:18 pm
Like I said, I have my own first hand experience of sexism in the hobby. If you have never seen it first hand then that's a positive thing for your local gaming community.
Never seen it myself. Since I can't test or prove your story, I can only take your word for it.

An interesting look at women's experience in wargaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6atdeEMrLCE
The 2nd and 3rd interviews had nothing to do with misogyny or any negative experiences at all. In fact, it was quite positive and informative. I'm glad the 2nd woman had such a rare enjoyment in military history and wargaming. I'm glad the 3rd woman explained how military history was not interesting to her, and instead she had such a good time with scifi and fantasy wargaming. The 1st woman married into the historical war-gaming community/business. She explains feeling unappreciated, tokenized, and virtually alone. She confused me by suggesting female RPG'ers and fantasy war-gamers were on a natural course to try her (widely viewed as boring 55+ male) niche hobby. I think she's blaming female lack of interest in male kock blocking. Unfortunately she may be deluded. The vast, vast majority of women have zero interest in historical war-gaming. Let's re-enact Gettysburg? Uhm, no thanks. In fact, historical war-gaming is the most 'shamed' by virtue signaling women, as a thing reinforcing war-like attitudes in reality. It's not make believe; it's blown up fodder from real life.
I'll be sure to reassure my wife that's it's OK she's been forced out of participating in her hobby because it's not 'real misogyny'.
Forced out? Really. So it was that toxic? They - the misogynists - went after her for no other reason than she was female and they were toxic males? Just cut n dry. Let's suppose it was. Is this a common thing?

Where I work and at other places where I play, some people very very occasionally do voluntary leave or get forced out of the group too after much multi-year-long drama and nonsense. Weird, when such unfortunate things happen, it's quite a complicated mess. So many different factors and personality things going on. Layers and layers of the onion get peeled back just to understand wtf happened. It goes way beyond gender. Mr. Diplomat, I always tried hard to figure it out and bring warring parties together to patch things up, even when I rarely had anything to do with it.

You should feel lucky that you could understand your situation so clearly in such a black and white way.
User avatar
sanityattack
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Wales
Posts: 871
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:04 am

Dormammu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:03 am
They 'felt' threatened? Or were they actually threatened?

They felt threatened, which is why I wrote 'they felt threatened'.

Dormammu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:03 am
Forced out? Really. So it was that toxic? They - the misogynists - went after her for no other reason than she was female and they were toxic males?

Yes.

Incidentally;

Dormammu wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:26 am
Then when the George Floyd tragedy hit, they went totally false woke and fake virtuous, going on about racism and how racist don't belong at their websites. I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that GW had a problem fending off phantom racists (they didn't).

What they actually posted was this:

Image


They may as well have posted this:

Image

The fact that so many people thought that this was an outrage is incredibly telling.

Does it say you can't be in the community if you're right wing? No.
Does it say you can't be in the community if you're left wing? No
White? No.
Black? No.
Christian? No.
Atheist? No
Man? No.
Woman? No.

It just says, don't be a dick.

Why do some of those people think that somehow infringes on them personally?

Maybe they are a dick.
User avatar
Samael13
is way smarter than you
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Bean town...
Posts: 6851
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:13 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Dormammu wrote: You may be misinterpreting nerdy, higher than avg IQ, very competitive, borderline autistic young men with woman-haters.

Bear in mind that Wargaming (and war itself) by its very nature isn't exactly very popular with women. For example: Hey, girl, check out my new Tyranid codex with new rules on bio-weapons and acids. Wanna see? Girl: Uhm, that is so nerdy, and actually very disturbing. Eww, those monsters are so yucky.

Of course, nerdy female equivalents might get involved, but I have yet to hear any personal stories of them being chased off or harassed.

Didn't we hear a similar accusation about male video gamers being misogynist? And it was yet another hypey generalization?

If you want to track down signs of real misogyny in our societies, I suggest starting with the top political and business leaders. You could spend a life time researching there's so many examples.
There's nothing about being a nerdy, higher than avg IQ, very competitive, borderline autistic young man that is incompatible with the idea of ALSO being misogynistic. You can, in fact, be both. And keep in mind that wargaming isnt' epecially popular with *most people*, and your characterization of "Girl" is asinine and insulting. I know several "girls" who would very much be into that, but I can assure you, that has not generally been their reception. And, yes, we did hear similar accusations about the videogame community, but, no, it was not "yet another hypey generalization."
Dormammu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:01 am
Except I didn't say that. For every 200 girls/women who like those other interests you mentioned, maybe 1 would like wargaming. Which involves moving little plastic historical men around, or tanks and monsters and shit. I've been told by a few women that the very idea of it isn't even remotely interesting. Too nerdy. Too violent. Too boyish.
Pro-tip: it's never a great sign for your argument when you're pulling made up stats out of thin air. Further: why would it matter if it's 1/200? Or 1/1000? Or 1/10000? And what's your guesstimate of the number of comic-book reading men who give a single shit about wargaming? The point wasn't "women like this at the same rate that men do," it was "the women who *do* like this are treated like shit and made to feel unwelcome." I've been told by plenty of *men* that wargaming is ridiculous bullshit. It turns out that most people, in general, aren't interested in war gaming. Of the men and women I know who are interested in wargaming, only one of those groups has consistently had shitty experiences with the community. Go ahead and guess which group.
If you mean an incredibly tiny percentage is interested, then okay. If it's so popular, why aren't female-exclusive War40k or historical war-gaming groups popping up everywhere so girls can play safely, without misogynist males, and the girls can have good times moving little tanks, daemons, skull-headed robots, and tyranids around on their own? Nothing is stopping them. I'm totally for it.
Again, this is a bullshit argument, Dorm. It doesn't matter how many. It matters whether the community is cool or not. Why should our friends, girlfriends, wives, sisters, etc. have to form their own segregated communities to enjoy gaming without being treated like shit? It's a niche hobby, so finding a group *at all* can be a challenge, and women, who are a minority within that minority, shouldn't have to find a women's only club to play in. That's not a solution.

You're acting like people are saying that the majority of men in the gaming community are these huge anti-women jerks who deliberately and consciously set out to attack women, but you also seem to think it only counts if they're physically threatening women with violence, and neither of those things are true. Women are made to feel unwelcome and demeaned, and when some asshole DOES do something creepy or threatening, there are too many people who say nothing about it or, worse, defend/excuse it with "well, he's just a nerdy, higher than avg IQ, very competitive, borderline autistic young man, he didn't *mean* anything." It shouldn't take "multi-year drama" to tell people not to be assholes.
User avatar
kevinmaccioly
HULK SMASH!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:57 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:25 pm

I appreciate this discussion. I don't think 40k should be hostile to females. It should also not pander to them. People like things because of its characteristics, so changing those core aspects alienates those who originally enjoyed it.

We should also accept that men and women enjoy different things, but that they might end up enjoying things dominated by the opposite gender. But it's a given that men enjoy things that have a higher level of skill associated. It's very fatalist to attribute all issues in the relationship between sexes to misogyny.
User avatar
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles - City of Fallen Angels
Posts: 10104
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:01 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:34 pm

Ah. The old "pander" argument. As if inclusion is pandering. And how is Games Workshop pandering to women now?

Also, you kind of shot yourself in the foot with "But it's a given that men enjoy things that have a higher level of skill associated." What a loaded comment. Do women not enjoy the same thing?

Anyway. Looking forward to seeing the McFarlane Genestealer and Orks. I've never had an Ork army, but they're tempting. So action figures of them could be right down my alley. With McFarlane starting to make deluxe, oversized figures, I think a lot of Tyranids now have a shot as action figures.
User avatar
MollyMillions
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 886
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:59 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:53 pm

This thread might get modded for inappropriate imagery, because there's some asses being shown.

Ash, Orks are my big antagonist want. I have even passed on the Necron in faith that McFarlane's 40k team can put out some serious dakka.

I'm basic and also like Chaos Marines but those are just repaints. Give me Orks.

Destroy the Orks, destroy the Orks, destroy the Orks!
User avatar
Junkpile
one man's trash...
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6863
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:03 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:10 pm

MollyMillions wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:53 pm
This thread might get modded for inappropriate imagery, because there's some asses being shown.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6839
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:52 pm

Got the flayed Necron from Amazon and he’s pretty great. Highly recommended.
Mahtion
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 am

McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 pm

Got the Order of the Bloody Rose Battle Sister from Amazon! Haven’t opened her yet but for some reason variants of these aren’t as exciting as Space Marines. I think it’s because I like the idea of the Battle Sisters being same color scheme but some unhelmeted. Or maybe worried about my collection getting out of control lol.


Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Image
User avatar
BAZOOKA SHARK
Runs Around in Tights
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 pm

OMG who cares, i just want to talk about the cool toys not the dumb drama surrounding the community
User avatar
Reefer Shark
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:55 pm

Mahtion wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 pm
Got the Order of the Bloody Rose Battle Sister from Amazon! Haven’t opened her yet but for some reason variants of these aren’t as exciting as Space Marines. I think it’s because I like the idea of the Battle Sisters being same color scheme but some unhelmeted. Or maybe worried about my collection getting out of control lol.


Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Image
Looks pretty great! Thanks for posting the pic - Im tempted to grab one from gamestop right now!
User avatar
Samael13
is way smarter than you
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Bean town...
Posts: 6851
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:13 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:59 pm

BAZOOKA SHARK wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 pm
OMG who cares
It would appear that quite a few people do. Not you, apparently, which is fine.
i just want to talk about the cool toys not the dumb drama surrounding the community
And yet, you posted about how you find the drama around the community dumb, instead? If you want to talk about the toys, you should do so. They're pretty cool toys. Weirdly, the conversation seems like it had already drifted back to the toys until you brought the "dumb drama" back up, which kind of makes it seem like you really wanted to talk about the drama, not the toys?
Mahtion
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:20 am

Samael13 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:59 pm
BAZOOKA SHARK wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 pm
OMG who cares
It would appear that quite a few people do. Not you, apparently, which is fine.
i just want to talk about the cool toys not the dumb drama surrounding the community
And yet, you posted about how you find the drama around the community dumb, instead? If you want to talk about the toys, you should do so. They're pretty cool toys. Weirdly, the conversation seems like it had already drifted back to the toys until you brought the "dumb drama" back up, which kind of makes it seem like you really wanted to talk about the drama, not the toys?
True but he’s allowed to voice his opinion and same to your comments. I avoided the drama discussion for the same reasons you mentioned. It was interesting at least but I’m glad the focus is back on the toys. :)
User avatar
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Dark Canadian Dimension
Posts: 9249
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:24 am

Re: McFarlane Warhammer 40k figures

Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:21 am

sanityattack wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:04 am
They felt threatened, which is why I wrote 'they felt threatened'.
I was hoping you could elaborate, thereby explaining your generalization that war-gaming has a real problem with misogyny.
Dormammu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:03 am
Forced out? Really. So it was that toxic? They - the misogynists - went after her for no other reason than she was female and they were toxic males?
sanityattack wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:04 am
Yes.
Again, some kind of elaboration/explanation would have been helpful to convince me that war-gaming has a big problem with misogyny. Maybe it does. Maybe in your part of the world it's rampant. I mean, what happened? If someone I was close to felt threatened, I'd be all over that. Threatened - as in, asking brusquely if you know what you're doing? No, you tallied the dice wrong? Or something more sinister - Great, I get paired up with a %%&$&$&*^&*. If they forced that person out - in a public context - for no other reason than hatred of a gender or race, then that's huge.
Dormammu wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:26 am
Then when the George Floyd tragedy hit, they went totally false woke and fake virtuous, going on about racism and how racist don't belong at their websites. I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that GW had a problem fending off phantom racists (they didn't).
What they actually posted was this:

Image

I think most people realized that their PR came directly on the heels of the aforementioned tragedy and the explosive backlash and corporate diagnostics thereafter. It caused something of a moral panic worldwide for organizations, some more than others. For GW (and others), no doubt they felt like making a pre-emptive virtue signaling announcement to immunize themselves from controversy and align themselves with current politics, since virtually almost all of their human characters were of a particular background, along with most of their fanbase. And until recently, the whole franchise was about ultra males. Most importantly, the subject material obviously didn't fuse very well with the political climate. In fact, while GW claimed to reject "prejudice, hatred, and abuse", the irony was not lost on fans that War40K universe was all about prejudice, hatred, and abuse.

Nonetheless I honestly think it was a good pre-emptive piece of PR that I would have supported if I were in GW.
sanityattack wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:04 am
The fact that so many people thought that this was an outrage is incredibly telling.
...
Why do some of those people think that somehow infringes on them personally?

Maybe they are a dick.
I know it caused quite a bit of thoughtful discussion about the greater moral panic, along with GW's motives, but I can't say I read about any large-scale outrage or personal infringement. That's usually the job of the social justice woke crowd, who are more comfortable with voicing accusations.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”