Super7: Disney ULTIMATES!

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: Disney ULTIMATES!

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:47 pm

With Father’s Day and a birthday recently occurring, I avoided spending money on myself on the off chance the wife grabbed the ReAction Donald. She did not, so today I grabbed one and Brave Little Tailor Mickey. I love these sculpts, but man I wish Super7 would bend a little and connect the heads on these via a ball and socket joint. I know that’s not the aesthetic, but it would literally cost no extra money and just add some nice personality to the product. At any rate, never been much of a Hawaiian Holiday fan so I’ll probably skip those, but if they ever do a Donald in Santa suit from Toy Tinkers I’ll be in full “Shut up and take my money,” mode.
ChrisLyne
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:17 am

Misfit wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:20 am
New Fwoosh interview with Brian was posted today that touched on Disney Ultimates. The most interesting bit of news and is that starting with Wave 4 all waves will be centered around one film. Brian seemed to play it a bit coy when Veebee pointed out that Robin Hood turns 50 next year. Wouldn’t surprise me if Wave 4 is indeed Robin Hood.
Missed this little update last month. That’s going to mean I’m pretty much all in (Renaissance era, some modern) or all out of waves now with the odd one off here and there.

Now please give me these waves Super 7 :D

Aladdin - Aladdin (with Abu), Jasmine (would Rajah be too big as an accessory?), Genie (with Carpet), Jafar (with Iago)

Hercules - Hercules, Meg, Phil, Hades (with Pain & Panic)

Beauty and the Beast - Belle, Beast, Gaston, LeFou (enchanted objects split between Belle & Beast)

The Little Mermaid - Ariel (with Flounder & Scuttle), Eric (with Max), Ursula (with Flotsam & Jetsam), King Triton (with Sebastian)

Tangled - Rapunzel (with Pascal), Flynn, Mother Gothel, could add a 4th but none are absolutely essential tbh (now if we dig into the TV series that’s another story)

Mulan - Mulan (with Mushu & Cri-Kee), Li Shang, Shan Yu, I could add 3 more here but not 1 more :lol:
I guess 2 versions of Mulan could work (armoured and the dress from the final battle)

Lilo & Stitch - Lilo, Stitch (626 red suit, 4 arms), Jumba, Pleakley

There are definitely figures they could do variants of (ball gown Belle, Aladdin as Prince Ali, human Ariel, etc.) but not sure where they would drop those as most films wouldn’t need 2 waves.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:33 pm

The crazy thing about this line is there is so much potential for variety that themed waves kind of suck. If they did the waves you just listed the only figure I would consider buying is Genie. I'm sure those would be 7 very popular waves, but that would mean I would potentially go over 2 years without buying a figure.
ChrisLyne
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:43 am

If they go themed waves I really hope they at least vary the eras. I love the renaissance era but if they did those waves all in a row I couldn’t afford it and, more importantly, it would be unfair on those who like other eras.

Alternating would be best. A classic wave (like Robin Hood, Peter Pan, etc.) then something more modern (well, modern comparative to the really classic stuff :lol: ). At least that way people aren’t waiting years between waves they’re interested in.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:03 am

I would be really happy with themed waves if they did the alternating different eras idea. I'd also love to see more waves per year than the standard Ultimates. There are just so many options with every movie being it's own line.

I also hope we continue to get the Reaction waves every few months. Those came out really good and better than most Reaction figures.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:56 pm

captaincracker wrote: The crazy thing about this line is there is so much potential for variety that themed waves kind of suck. If they did the waves you just listed the only figure I would consider buying is Genie. I'm sure those would be 7 very popular waves, but that would mean I would potentially go over 2 years without buying a figure.
Honestly, I don't think there's anything S7 can do (short of devoting their entire Ultimates production to Disney) to make Disney collectors happy. And I don't mean that in any way to be a slight against Disney collectors. It's just a massively broad range of characters, and unlike stuff like Marvel or DC, it has so little overlap with itself.

If you're a Robin Hood guy, you may be pretty happy about John and Robin, but are you going to be happy if it's five more years before there's another character from the movie? Just an example, of course -- I don't expect it'll be five years. Just based on what they've revealed for the line so far, they could ignore every other Disney property and still be busy filling out important or fan-favorite characters for several years at the pace this line goes. Are Robin Hood collectors excited about completing the main cast in 2031, at the earliest?

I don't think anyone is really super interested in having a bunch of half-finished collections. Not sure what the answer to that is.They either start a bunch of different properties, none of which will be completed for half a decade or more... or they focus heavily one a specific property and make other fans just sit around and wait the same amount of time to even -start- a collection of something else. No idea what the best route to take is.
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:19 am

I watched the new speaky geeky Super 7 interview and it certainly sounds like they'd rather be doing older stuff than 90s modern. Beauty and the Beast was specifically called out for it's animation, which I couldn't disagree with more.

Disney already appears to have asked Super 7 to do more focused waves in the future, so I think we'll see mini collections as waves, and they can always circle back around if a property warrants it.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:03 am

S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote: I watched the new speaky geeky Super 7 interview and it certainly sounds like they'd rather be doing older stuff than 90s modern. Beauty and the Beast was specifically called out for it's animation, which I couldn't disagree with more.
I'd be interested to see how big of a market there is for the older stuff versus the 90s+ stuff. My #1 is Robin Hood, which is definitely in the 'older stuff.' But even for someone like me.. if I sat down and thought about what other Disney movies I'd want action figures from, it's Hercules, Aladdin, and maybe Hunchback. All '90s stuff. And I mean.. quite frankly.. '90s is in right now. It's 'in vogue' with Gen Z, and the people that were kids and early teens in the '90s are now the nostalgia-generation of adults that are buying most of the toys, I'd wager.

Guess we'll see what they do. I haven't even bought anything from this line yet, but I keep waffling hard on Prince John. Robin Hood is one of my favorite animated movies of all time and even today I could probably act out the entire movie if I had to because I watched it so much as a kid. If I knew for a fact they'd be doing more than just John and Robin, that probably would have made up my mind for me.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:41 am

The John figure is all right, probably worth getting if you can find it on sale (and if it’s not already I’m sure it will be) because it’s not like there’s much chance of a better Prince John from Disney’s Robin Hood coming along. That’s an admittedly crappy reason to buy something, but the figure does at least get the likeness right and Sir Hiss turned out great. It’s just not perfect because Super7 hates paint and the joints are too loose. The paint issue is at least not noticeable on a shelf, while the joints are a problem if you have nothing to prop the figure with or against.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:46 am

S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote:
I watched the new speaky geeky Super 7 interview and it certainly sounds like they'd rather be doing older stuff than 90s modern. Beauty and the Beast was specifically called out for it's animation, which I couldn't disagree with more.
Beauty and the beast was called out in a good way, or bad way? I hope good. An angry and large Beast figure in his purple cloak has been a dream figure of mine for a long time.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:26 am

I guess I just think the idea of "Disney" Ultimates is too much. It's like if they announced a Warner Brothers Ultimates line. There's no real focus there. I selfishly said that I hate the idea of themes in each wave since there's the potential I won't want anyone, but I guess I understand the reason. I'd ideally like waves with pairs. Maybe they could at least announce planned future figures with each movie they make figures for. I'm not in marketing or sales, so I have no clue about what's best.

I have luckily been interested in most of the figures so far, but lots of people are waiting for the 90's properties that I have no interest in and I get that they may be frustrated or disappointed. I'm not expecting any large rosters from a particular movie, but I'm happy to get whatever they make from the stuff I like.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:41 pm

The random waves might work better if there was a sense we'd get more than 8 figures a year. It has been almost 2 years since they teased Wave 1, and we are still a couple of months from Wave 2 being in hand probably - so not moving at a quick pace so far. Which I don't think hooks people into committing to the line - I wasn't sold on Prince John until they announced a Robin to pair him with, same with Hiacynth until they announced Ali Gator. I'm OK with the mixed waves as a concept but it would help if there was a new wave every 3-4 months so some momentum could be built and you didn't wonder if a character might get orphaned.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:31 pm

3-4 months is the Super7 ideal, it just hasn’t been reality. They either clearly had issues with the first wave, and we know there were problems from the start since it was supposed to include 4 figures, or they had to bump it for another brand. They haven’t been able to get back on track (if they ever truly were) with any Ultimates though and at this point I have to think it’s not just a supply chain matter as they just have so much stuff in varying states of development. It might be impossible to get to that 4 month lag between waves and a more optimistic one is 6. Wave 1 arrived in consumer hands in April, and October certainly is reasonable for Wave 2 given that it’s in production now.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:16 pm

And it is fine if they are, at best, only going to get 3 waves a year in - it is a premium priced line and you have to pace that for folks. So more of an observation - that pace might not be of benefit to non-themed waves for such a wide-ranging line. They've started 6 sub-lines (Fantasia - 3, Alice - 3, Robin Hood - 2, Pinocchio, Lilo, Silly Symphonies) with only 11 announced releases, I don't think it helps to be pulled in that many directions if producing 4 figures every 6 months.
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:12 pm

christianpyro wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:46 am
S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote:
Beauty and the beast was called out in a good way, or bad way? I hope good. An angry and large Beast figure in his purple cloak has been a dream figure of mine for a long time.
https://youtu.be/-gSI7478CaE about 6:30 - 7:00.

Bad. She said the character design was "lumpy and weird", and the movie didn't hold up. She did call out Beast specifically for being good though.

I tend to be super easy going, so I surprised myself with how visceral of a negative reaction I had to her opinion on that.

Even seemingly wonderful people can have incredibly stupid opinions was my takeaway, haha.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”