Super7: Disney ULTIMATES!

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Dr Baghead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Super7: Disney ULTIMATES!

Thu May 06, 2021 6:56 pm

VeeBee wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:25 pm
Nope. Brian confirmed in our interview that just about everything is on the table for them for this line.
This the same Brian who “confirmed in interviews” Jackal-man would have the fixed corrected shins (figure ships with same Mattel mixed up shins and actively worse paints) and that April was getting completely reworked based on feedback (April’s terrible body sculpt is exactly the same, but has more heads)... The same Brian who just said he thought he had the Godzilla license 2 years ago only to find out after working on a figure he did not in fact have the license? The same Brian who said Usagi Yojimbo was in the bag for TMNT Classics only to have the figure put on hold?

I like Brian Flynn, I like Super7, I’ll watch his interviews because he’s got a great personality and clearly loves his work but I don’t believe a goddammed thing he says in interviews until I see physical confirmation it’s true because he lies (that’s too strong a word, “tells convenient half truths”) all the time in Interviews...

I’d believe they have access to more of the catalog if this wave wasn’t made up of half the licenses from the last wave and the other half came from one new movie. It sounds better to say “we can make whatever we want!” than “we came make whatever we want... but do to cost and personal choices we only licensed six ver specific movies” and when you only reveal 3 to 4 figures a year that’s an easy lie (again, too strong a word) to keep going “oh we could make Wreck It Ralph... but we want to finish the cast of Robin Hood and Alice first, maybe in 2047 when we’re done we’ll look into it!”

Maybe the next wave will prove me wrong and be four completely different films from all different eras.... but I’d still wager it’s gonna be mostly characters from Pinocchio, Alice, Fantasia, and Robin Hood
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Thu May 06, 2021 7:02 pm

I think Robin looks really good, and I'll be pre-ordering him. But I'm still, personally, really disappointed that so much of his accessory count is bogged down with parts to make a variant figure I don't care about and will never display. I hate paying a high premium where the justification is all the extra stuff, just to see that I'll never even look at the majority of that stuff ever again after opening the box.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 7:10 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
I think Robin looks really good, and I'll be pre-ordering him. But I'm still, personally, really disappointed that so much of his accessory count is bogged down with parts to make a variant figure I don't care about and will never display. I hate paying a high premium where the justification is all the extra stuff, just to see that I'll never even look at the majority of that stuff ever again after opening the box.

I was just thinking the same. I'd rather extra heads, hands, a sword and money bag.

I am trying to figure out how that stork is put together. I assume the wings attach at the wrist (alternate hands), but I have no idea how and where the legs attach. I hope that structural integrity to Robin wasn't compromised so we could take him apart and put him back together as a Stork.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

KnightDamien wrote:
I'm the opposite. That was a good long scene in the movie, and I love that I can replicate that look when I want. Add to that we got the proper bow and arrows for said scenes. Even better!

Hyacinth should be really big, so that makes me have high hopes for Little John in the next wave. I thought he might be "sized out".
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 7:17 pm

christianpyro wrote:
KnightDamien wrote:

I was just thinking the same. I'd rather extra heads, hands, a sword and money bag.

I am trying to figure out how that stork is put together. I assume the wings attach at the wrist (alternate hands), but I have no idea how and where the legs attach. I hope that structural integrity to Robin wasn't compromised so we could take him apart and put him back together as a Stork.
Based on the parts image, it looks like the feathered hands just peg into the wrist like any other optional hand accessory. It looks like there's a channel on the feathers so the stumps of his arms slide up into them a bit. I'm guessing the stork legs either peg into the bottom of his feet (as they were just stilts in the film) or his leg may separate below the knee. He has furry knees and simple looking shins so maybe there's a swivel where the bushy fur ends which would be an easy place to peg the stork legs into.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 7:24 pm

I thought about stilts at the bottom of the feet (like the film), but if the sizes in the image below are correct, then that's not it. Coming apart at the knee might work though. That seems to size about right when I hold my fingers to the computer screen (knees to top of neck might just fit in that cloth goods outfit).

ChrisLyne
Super Poseable

Thu May 06, 2021 7:48 pm

XMenLegacy wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:54 pm
Honestly, seeing main characters like Robin Hood and Alice in this wave make me hopeful we might get more "stars" like Aladdin, Jasmine, Genie (is it noticeable that Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie?), Mulan, Hercules, Tiana, Naveen, Snow White, Peter Pabm Wendy Phillipe, Aurora, Flynn, Rapunzel, Quasimodo, Esmeralda, Belle and Beast. Though I'd also love to have the main villains like Hook, Ursula, Maleficent, Hades, Jafar, Frollo, Cruella and Evil Queen.

I get the whole "there's merchandise for these characters in other places" stance, but there isn't anything as detailed and articulated as this.
Yes to pretty much all of these (especially the Aladdin ones, it’s my favourite too)

The whole wave looks amazing but my era is the renaissance so they’re passes for me, at this price I can’t get everything. Hopefully they will get there one day, but really happy for those who grew up on this era. It’s great to see Disney finally getting great figures. I hope Super 7 realise that just because there is merch out there for some Disney films it’s either old (like the action figures from the 90s) or aimed at a completely different market (princess dolls). They’re they only ones doing modern, well sculpted, well articulated action figures of this stuff.
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 7:49 pm

Yeah I think I’m good with just Robin Hood in this wave fun choices but nothing that I desperately need maybe Alice for a Disney display but that’s a huge maybe
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 pm

VeeBee wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:25 pm
Nope. Brian confirmed in our interview that just about everything is on the table for them for this line. They just have a direction/selection they want to go in for now that fits more outside the usual Disney character box.
Haha, you knew better!
christianpyro wrote: I thought about stilts at the bottom of the feet (like the film), but if the sizes in the image below are correct, then that's not it. Coming apart at the knee might work though. That seems to size about right when I hold my fingers to the computer screen (knees to top of neck might just fit in that cloth goods outfit).

Looking at the disguise version, there doesn't seem to be any actual Robin showing at all. Seems like you could junk a cheap figure and plug the head, arms, tail, and legs in, cover it all with the cloth, and display both figures. Unless I'm missing something.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu May 06, 2021 7:55 pm

TFitz wrote: I'm the opposite. That was a good long scene in the movie, and I love that I can replicate that look when I want. Add to that we got the proper bow and arrows for said scenes. Even better!
And I definitely don't want it to come off like I'm saying it's BAD that they did it this way. I just don't -like- it. Wanna be clear about that. And I think it's weird because that entire look could have been accomplished with an armature under the softgoods not requiring -any- Robin Hood parts to make, making it either a two-pack type situation or it could have been released separately as its own thing.

I'm glad for people that are excited about it, but no one will ever convince me this was the best way to handle it, either. Especially when it represents such a big chunk of his accessory count and easily could have been a separate release with its own neat accessories. I can easily think of several extra accessories a 'disguised' Robin could have come with to justify a separate release, and several accessories regular Robin could have come with instead of disguise parts. It's just.. a weird decision that I think just robs us of potentially two better figures.
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 7:59 pm

RoboKillah wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 pm
Looking at the disguise version, there doesn't seem to be any actual Robin showing at all. Seems like you could junk a cheap figure and plug the head, arms, tail, and legs in, cover it all with the cloth, and display both figures. Unless I'm missing something.
I was debating getting two, but now this is an idea I hadn't considered! You just saved me $55!
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 pm

These are up on BBTS
tatooinesandworm
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 8:11 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:55 pm
And I definitely don't want it to come off like I'm saying it's BAD that they did it this way. I just don't -like- it. Wanna be clear about that. And I think it's weird because that entire look could have been accomplished with an armature under the softgoods not requiring -any- Robin Hood parts to make, making it either a two-pack type situation or it could have been released separately as its own thing.
Agreed - and also agree that the stork should have had just a basic slug under the cloak to just plug in the different stork parts.
I'm glad for people that are excited about it, but no one will ever convince me this was the best way to handle it, either. Especially when it represents such a big chunk of his accessory count and easily could have been a separate release with its own neat accessories. I can easily think of several extra accessories a 'disguised' Robin could have come with to justify a separate release, and several accessories regular Robin could have come with instead of disguise parts. It's just.. a weird decision that I think just robs us of potentially two better figures.
I don't think I agree with this. The way Super 7 chose to release this was infinitely better than releasing the Stork version on it's own. No way Stork Hood would be worth $55 no matter how many accessories were included. The only thing I think that could have gone in a solo Stork Hood release would have been some archery targets. Maybe one clean and one with the arrows in it? I just don't see Super 7 moving enough units to justify putting it into production. Although I don't think that the Hippo is going to be a hot seller either and fully expect it to be one of the lowest produced characters in the line.

Super 7 also really missed the mark by not including the beggar head, because you could reuse the cloak on regular Robin there and just pop on a new head and include a cup. Bam- third version of the character.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Thu May 06, 2021 8:15 pm

Man, I'm fighting myself. I really want 3 hippos. One for each head and I'd put one with the different colored tutu and shoes. I'm also waiting for Dorkside to put them up. Should get free shipping that way.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm

tatooinesandworm wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:11 pm
..Although I don't think that the Hippo is going to be a hot seller either and fully expect it to be one of the lowest produced characters in the line.
**Re-reads my above post** Weirdos like me may change that. :wink: :lol:

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”