Loose Collector Collectibles

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Loose Collector Collectibles

Tue May 17, 2022 6:36 pm

hunnipot85 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:25 pm
Taarna unfortunately doesn't look worth the sales price.

I hope the next few releases look good as I would have been interested in some potential characters like Lady Deah (flesh tone), Witchblade, Darkchylde or Danger Girl (if they would be a possibility)
Man, talk about grails. Add Magdalena and Aphrodite IX to that list, and you’ve just about hit all of mine!
SpiderS
Avengers Assemble

Wed May 18, 2022 12:11 am

MollyMillions wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:00 pm

You know what really drives me nuts about Lady D? Her garter belt doesn't line up unless you bring the leg forward. It's a small detail, but it bothers me.

Oh, yes, this bothered me as well but overall I was somewhat satisfied with Lady Death, yes she was an easier figure to do but she looks pretty good on my display, I did mod her though I carved her upper torso ball socket which gave her serious articulation upgrade, as well as painted her hair since it was literally blending in with the head. So based on Lady Death figure which was ok I assumed there would be some improvements for Taarna but it seems it's other way around. Her getting figure in 6 inch scale was a dream come true for me as well as Red Sonja and Vampirella figure. So I would still order Taarna for the body and Avis alone. I really wanted these figures even more than I need any Marvel/DC figure today. I also hope that Dejah Thoris can get a figure as well.

Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 18, 2022 3:46 am

MollyMillions wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:06 am
I hope I get mine in hand soon. I'm curious if old Mr Super Clear might make the figure pop.
I wasn’t familiar with that product as I don’t do any custom work, but I looked it up, and now I’m curious to see what it can do. It claims “When you spray this item to unpainted plastic models, it will look like all-painted.” I mentioned before that I think head sculpts need to be fully painted in this day and age, but that Mr. Super Clear could do the trick.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 18, 2022 12:21 pm

Xavion2004 wrote:
MollyMillions wrote:
I hope I get mine in hand soon. I'm curious if old Mr Super Clear might make the figure pop.
I wasn’t familiar with that product as I don’t do any custom work, but I looked it up, and now I’m curious to see what it can do. It claims “When you spray this item to unpainted plastic models, it will look like all-painted.” I mentioned before that I think head sculpts need to be fully painted in this day and age, but that Mr. Super Clear could do the trick.
It's a matte finish that knocks the shine off. I use the Mr. Super Clear UV Cut Flat as its what came recommended from dollmaker and Warhammer hobbyists I know. I find it leaves a slight satin finish, but not as much as Vallejo Satin. (Vallejo makes a Satin and Matte product that is similar, but not my preferred).

It's a spray. Soap and water on the figure, then you do short bursts at 10-12 inches out, maybe two or three hits. A little goes a long way.

It kills the shine and brings the sculpt out, especially on non-white characters. Since then I use it on any skin or some costume "materials" for Legends and Black Series. My sister said it made them all look premium. I sadly forgot to take before and afters of my initial foray into it, but this guy did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCIgGM8tL3I
SpiderS wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:11 am

Oh, yes, this bothered me as well but overall I was somewhat satisfied with Lady Death, yes she was an easier figure to do but she looks pretty good on my display, I did mod her though I carved her upper torso ball socket which gave her serious articulation upgrade, as well as painted her hair since it was literally blending in with the head. So based on Lady Death figure which was ok I assumed there would be some improvements for Taarna but it seems it's other way around. Her getting figure in 6 inch scale was a dream come true for me as well as Red Sonja and Vampirella figure. So I would still order Taarna for the body and Avis alone. I really wanted these figures even more than I need any Marvel/DC figure today. I also hope that Dejah Thoris can get a figure as well.
That looks fantastic. I should paint the hair on mine.

I am also hoping for Dejah and Sheena.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 19, 2022 2:04 pm

MollyMillions wrote:
Xavion2004 wrote:
MollyMillions wrote:
It's a matte finish that knocks the shine off. I use the Mr. Super Clear UV Cut Flat as its what came recommended from dollmaker and Warhammer hobbyists I know. I find it leaves a slight satin finish, but not as much as Vallejo Satin. (Vallejo makes a Satin and Matte product that is similar, but not my preferred).

It's a spray. Soap and water on the figure, then you do short bursts at 10-12 inches out, maybe two or three hits. A little goes a long way.

It kills the shine and brings the sculpt out, especially on non-white characters. Since then I use it on any skin or some costume "materials" for Legends and Black Series. My sister said it made them all look premium. I sadly forgot to take before and afters of my initial foray into it, but this guy did:

I'll have to check that out. I've been using Testor's DullCote for that same purpose for years, but sometimes it gets too matte.

I was just thinking about this figure a bit more, and something that really bugged me was the lack of any updates or in-process shots during production. I chalked it up to LooseCollector being too busy, or being a small company in the pandemic, etc, but now that we've gotten Taarna and she's...not quite at the level many of us were expecting, the silence feels even more irritating. In light of this, I'm hoping we start seeing some updates for Red Sonja and Vampirella so that we can have a better, more honest picture of what we'll be ending up with.
SpiderS
Avengers Assemble

Fri May 20, 2022 1:58 am

All sprays that are available in my country sadly end up sticky despite giving a pretty good matte finish, I wonder if varnish applied by the means of brush can have the same effect without being sticky, I would kill for Mr. Super Clear but due to safety rules, I can't order sprays/aerosol from other countries.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 7:47 pm

Exec Replica just sent an email for Purgatory, Vampi, and Sonja with a Q3/Q4 date attached.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Sun May 22, 2022 12:44 am

MollyMillions wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:47 pm
Exec Replica just sent an email for Purgatory, Vampi, and Sonja with a Q3/Q4 date attached.
Not surprised, but all the delays from companies suck
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 1:12 am

It seemed like that was just a sales email though, right? It didn't seem like an update to me.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 1:26 am

Mister Skeezler wrote:
It seemed like that was just a sales email though, right? It didn't seem like an update to me.

The update is actually sticking Q3 and Q4 on things when ER and LC provide no (up)dates.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 1:30 am

MollyMillions wrote:
Mister Skeezler wrote:

The update is actually sticking Q3 and Q4 on things when ER and LC provide no (up)dates.
Ah that makes sense. I guess we get the updates where we can.

I'm hoping delays mean there will be more care taken with the next round of figures, particularly in the paint apps.

MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 2:06 am

I thiiiink Sonja and Vampi were originally July which is Q3. So maybe they're on track.

I still ain't got my Taarna and have no tracking.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 2:31 am

MollyMillions wrote:I thiiiink Sonja and Vampi were originally July which is Q3. So maybe they're on track.

I still ain't got my Taarna and have no tracking.
I'm interested in your thoughts when you get her.

Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 5:41 am

MollyMillions wrote:

I ordered a can from Amazon. It should be here Tuesday. I’ll do a few test runs with figures from the “junk” bin first. If I’m pleased with the results, I’ll use it on Taarna and post some before and after pics.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 6:08 am

Sweet!

I went through some old Legends this afternoon (Captain Marvel 2015 was super glossy) and it truly bumps up the aesthetic.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”