Loose Collector Collectibles

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
SpiderS
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Loose Collector Collectibles

Mon May 16, 2022 10:23 pm

That's a really disappointing looking figure, I could excuse weird skin shading but the head looks nothing like the prototype and just not good on its own, her eyebrows and eyes look very different both from the promo and animation. Maybe LooseCollector shouldn't paint figures so well if they end up so different. I wouldn't complain if it was like 40-50 dollar figure but at 120 (where 20$ is shipping) this is not good, especially when you wait for so long. My best bet is trying to repaint the figure and mainly the face or just find some Marvel Legends head that will fit this figure, because I really really really wanted to have decent looking Taarna figure, I sincerely hope there will be some improvements for Red Sonja and Vampirella.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 16, 2022 11:25 pm

I just got back from a trip out of town and Taarna was waiting for me.

I like it, but I don't love it. I want to, but it feels like it fell prey to some sub par factory work. I need to take a little time with it and think about how to improve it, but I shouldn't have to do that for the price I paid.

misterskeezler on Instagram

Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 16, 2022 11:27 pm

SpiderS wrote:That's a really disappointing looking figure, I could excuse weird skin shading but the head looks nothing like the prototype and just not good on its own, her eyebrows and eyes look very different both from the promo and animation. Maybe LooseCollector shouldn't paint figures so well if they end up so different. I wouldn't complain if it was like 40-50 dollar figure but at 120 (where 20$ is shipping) this is not good, especially when you wait for so long. My best bet is trying to repaint the figure and mainly the face or just find some Marvel Legends head that will fit this figure, because I really really really wanted to have decent looking Taarna figure, I sincerely hope there will be some improvements for Red Sonja and Vampirella.
My thoughts exactly.

Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 1:17 am

Ouch, there's a review from The Collector Couple over on YouTube that's pretty dire.

Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 3:41 am

Mister Skeezler wrote:
Ouch, there's a review from The Collector Couple over on YouTube that's pretty dire.
Oh my God, that was absolutely hysterical! I’ve had 1/6 scale figures go directly in the trash that cost a lot more than this one did just for the sake of my sanity because I got so upset and pissed off every time I looked at them, so I can definitely relate.

I don’t know why I’m so chill with this figure. Maybe because I paid in full when I placed the preorder 18 months ago, so the money has been gone so long that I don’t miss it? Maybe because I more or less knew what to expect after seeing Robo’s review three months ago? Maybe because I’m just happy to finally have a 6” fully articulated Taarna complete with Avis? Maybe because I find her portrait to be feminine and attractive even though it’s very outdated by 2022 standards?

I’m not trying to defend the figure or suggest that others shouldn’t be disappointed, because objectively speaking, the figure IS a huge downgrade from what was originally solicited, and it DID cost a lot of money compared to what Hasbro, McFarlane, NECA, etc. has to offer. It just cracks me up that I’m still pissed off about Hasbro’s ML Tigra being molded in Cheeto orange, but I’m fine with this.

I wonder how Dave (Loose Collector) is dealing with this backlash. His work has been universally beloved and revered for so long now (and with good reason), and his first two commercial releases went over really well. This is probably the first sharp criticism (at least from this fanbase) that he’s had to endure in well over a decade. He seems like a genuinely good person, and I’m sure a lot of this was beyond his control, so I hope he’s able to move past it fairly quickly.
Mooselander
Runs Around in Tights

Tue May 17, 2022 4:21 am

Xavion2004 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:41 am
Mister Skeezler wrote:
Oh my God, that was absolutely hysterical! I’ve had 1/6 scale figures go directly in the trash that cost a lot more than this one did just for the sake of my sanity because I got so upset and pissed off every time I looked at them, so I can definitely relate.

I don’t know why I’m so chill with this figure. Maybe because I paid in full when I placed the preorder 18 months ago, so the money has been gone so long that I don’t miss it? Maybe because I more or less knew what to expect after seeing Robo’s review three months ago? Maybe because I’m just happy to finally have a 6” fully articulated Taarna complete with Avis? Maybe because I find her portrait to be feminine and attractive even though it’s very outdated by 2022 standards?

I’m not trying to defend the figure or suggest that others shouldn’t be disappointed, because objectively speaking, the figure IS a huge downgrade from what was originally solicited, and it DID cost a lot of money compared to what Hasbro, McFarlane, NECA, etc. has to offer. It just cracks me up that I’m still pissed off about Hasbro’s ML Tigra being molded in Cheeto orange, but I’m fine with this.

I wonder how Dave (Loose Collector) is dealing with this backlash. His work has been universally beloved and revered for so long now (and with good reason), and his first two commercial releases went over really well. This is probably the first sharp criticism (at least from this fanbase) that he’s had to endure in well over a decade. He seems like a genuinely good person, and I’m sure a lot of this was beyond his control, so I hope he’s able to move past it fairly quickly.
Are the criticisms in the video accurate?
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 12:00 pm

SpiderS wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:23 pm
That's a really disappointing looking figure, I could excuse weird skin shading but the head looks nothing like the prototype and just not good on its own, her eyebrows and eyes look very different both from the promo and animation. Maybe LooseCollector shouldn't paint figures so well if they end up so different. I wouldn't complain if it was like 40-50 dollar figure but at 120 (where 20$ is shipping) this is not good, especially when you wait for so long. My best bet is trying to repaint the figure and mainly the face or just find some Marvel Legends head that will fit this figure, because I really really really wanted to have decent looking Taarna figure, I sincerely hope there will be some improvements for Red Sonja and Vampirella.
I have thoughts on that. Let me use this as a LiveJournal.

The Lady Death figure was overhyped and set future releases to stumble. I like the Lady Death figure. Let's be real, though:

- articulation is barely up to par with modern mainstream releases. It does some interesting things with that upper knee swivel, but past that there's no double jointed elbows, no butterfly, no sword swivel wrists (feedback came too late, we'll come back to that), and even the head is peg apparatus that isn't really hindered due to the hair, but why reinvent the wheel?

And Lady Death isn't that poseable as a functional package in the first place.

- paint is a low bar. Figure basically a white-light blue figure with an airbrush/wash that looks beautiful, but I own two of them and couriered a third for someone, and it's inconsistent. One has intricate detailing in the hair, the other barely saw paint. They did do a great job matching the painted parts of her lingerie to the plastic parts in same colour.

The face, though. I think this is where Taarna consistently falls apart in criticism, and Lady Death supports this. Lady Death is just white eyes with eyeliner and lipstick. Again, one is great, one is a little sloppy on the lips. Not uncommon for most figures of any quality level, but for me what's most shocking with the Taarna is the eyes.

I am used Figma or Storm's clean stamps(?) and clean printing from Hasbro that however they did it, it just looks outdated to me. It looks animation accurate, but still a bit dead compared to current tech.

You know what really drives me nuts about Lady D? Her garter belt doesn't line up unless you bring the leg forward. It's a small detail, but it bothers me.

And then the sword hands, back when it was Lady Death it seemed ridiculous to not plan for it. For Taarna it definitely seems absurd, and Hellwitch getting them updated is... good and also absurd she's the first.

It's a good update to the MAC figures of yore, but I wouldn't call her playable like most figures on my desk. I still like its presence, but I wish it was more playable.

Tarna is really the first human most of us have seen for a proper paint deco, and Trese looks about on par from teaser photos, except she's got the infamous trenchcoat to hinder posing.

Still down for Vampi and Sonja, but I do wonder if the balance of art vs action figure got lost in translation or expectations.
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 1:04 pm

Mooselander wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:21 am
Are the criticisms in the video accurate?
Sadly, yes. A bit over exaggerated perhaps as the reviewer completely lost his patience with the figure fairly quickly, but we’ve all been there.

I did break the peg on the right hand of my figure just as the reviewer did on the left. I have no excuse personally, because AshTalon did warn us to heat the hands up before trying to swap them out, but it’s a serious QC problem.

The figure doesn’t seem overly loose to me. I’ve seen much better, but I’ve seen much worse. The sword is pretty underwhelming, and I’m lucky the hilt Just bent when trying to put it in the sheath as opposed to completely snapping off.

The hair pieces really need to be glued on once you decide on the combination you want. I haven’t had any issues there. The rest (sculpt, paint) has been pretty well covered.

I think what the criticism usually boils down to is not that the figure sucks, but that it sucks compared to the prototype (which was completely hand painted by Loose Collector) and it sucks for the $120 price point. Collectors feel like they’ve been misled and ripped off, and I get that. In my case, I think I’m judging the figure more for what it is than what I paid for it or what the prototypes looked like, and based on that, it’s a welcome addition to my collection.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 1:36 pm

I'm thinking Dave ran into some unforeseen factory issues, considering all factories were closing and/or backed up due to Covid when the figure was supposed to be produced. I had a feeling it wasn't going well when there was essentially radio silence through the whole production period. We didn't see any advance samples, and no photos ahead of time, except for one image of Avis on Facebook last year.

I guess the animation accurate look kind of works for Taarna, but that's more a coincidence of the way the paint work came out, rather than a feature. The prototype had a realistic paint style. The finished product just has subpar paint.

Do I like Taarna overall? Kind of. The hair sculpt is so soft that it barely reads as hair at all, and that really blows it quite a bit. I'm already trying to figure out where I can get a better hair piece for her, and I'll probably just make one with procreate. The face also needs help, as well as some shading to the skin overall. Suddenly there's a lot of work that needs to go into a figure that wasn't cheap. Maybe Avis siphoned too much from the overall budget? I would rather he was dropped from the set in that case, because he really wasn't the draw.

Taarna also had the supreme misfortune of coming the week after Storm Collectibles' Tyris Flare, which is around the same price, is also a glam-rock '80s-style barbarian woman, comes with a mount, a sword, two heads, two hairstyles, a ton of hands, and is on a completely different level altogether.

He really needs to have a better team working on Red Sonja and Vampirella, because I think they're going to be the determining factor on many fans supporting any more projects going forward...most of us have been waiting for those two for many years. Those are make-or-break for me.

Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 1:40 pm

MollyMillions, that is a fantastic, objective, and very fair analysis, and I agree with you on each and every point.

“Outdated” is the word that most often comes to mind when I think of Taarna with the understanding that “outdated” doesn’t mean “bad”, it just means “not on par with current standards”. Unless we all just started collecting toys circa 2015, I’m sure we have plenty of “outdated” figures in our collections that we still enjoy for what they are.

I think one thing that we all need to keep in perspective here is that we’re not dealing with a company that has decades of experience in mass producing figures. This is an individual who built his reputation on meticulous custom figures that are widely considered to be works of art. Translating that “product” and skill set into a mass produced figure is a huge jump. While I agree that we shouldn’t expect to pay $75 for a $25 quality figure, we also shouldn’t expect to pay $75 for a custom figure that fetches hundreds of dollars on the open market.

I think the lesson learned here is “Manage Expectations Moving Forward”.
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 2:29 pm

Mister Skeezler wrote:
I guess the animation accurate look kind of works for Taarna, but that's more a coincidence of the way the paint work came out, rather than a feature. The prototype had a realistic paint style. The finished product just has subpar paint.
This is where my lack of artistic vision really fails me. What do you think went wrong here? The paint apps in and of themselves are crisp and clean. I want to say it’s too simple and lacks detail by 2022 standards, but what does that really mean? About the only universal “truth” I can come up with is that heads really need to be fully painted to look realistic by today’s standards. I think looking at the set overall, lack of paint, or in some cases, cutting corners on the methods of paint application is a big culprit which leads to…
Mister Skeezler wrote:
Suddenly there's a lot of work that needs to go into a figure that wasn't cheap. Maybe Avis siphoned too much from the overall budget? I would rather he was dropped from the set in that case, because he really wasn't the draw.
Yeah, I wonder about that too. If a standard LC figure is around $75, then we paid an extra $25 for Avis (before shipping). If more than 25% of the budget went into Avis, then Taarna got shortchanged.

I wonder if Loose Collector will re-release Taarna separately with better paint apps and some of the QC issues fixed as some have conjectured. If the next few figures come out well, I could see him wanting to “redeem” himself with respect to Taarna as a matter of personal pride.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 2:45 pm

Mister Skeezler wrote:
I'm thinking Dave ran into some unforeseen factory issues, considering all factories were closing and/or backed up due to Covid when the figure was supposed to be produced. I had a feeling it wasn't going well when there was essentially radio silence through the whole production period. We didn't see any advance samples, and no photos ahead of time, except for one image of Avis on Facebook last year.
I'm just hesitant to give that pass. Super7 cashes it out every single interview before Covid, and even then nothing gets fixed or improved.

More glaring than Taarna's preview vs final paints for me is Avis. Avis paints tells me that yeah, there probably was some sort of factory miscommunication.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Tue May 17, 2022 2:52 pm

Her off-kilter eyes really bother me, and it's on both heads! Her left eye on both is just slightly out more and higher as well. I mean just a tiny bit, but it's very noticeable to me.

Oh, and her left forearm looks like a tube. It doesn't taper correctly at all.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Tue May 17, 2022 4:11 pm

Man, after watching his review and his comparison pics from prototype to final product... epic fail on the paintwork. I forgot how much better the promo pics were than the final product. I almost bought this several times, but it was just too pricey for a character I "kinda" wanted. Super glad I passed on her.

But I am more worried now about the upcoming Trilogy figures I bought (Red Sonja/Purgatori/Vampirella). Zero chance I will cancel them, though. I need them on my shelf.
hunnipot85
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 6:25 pm

Taarna unfortunately doesn't look worth the sales price.

I hope the next few releases look good as I would have been interested in some potential characters like Lady Deah (flesh tone), Witchblade, Darkchylde or Danger Girl (if they would be a possibility)

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”