McFarlane Toys 7inch Spawn

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys 7inch Spawn

Sat May 14, 2022 3:38 pm

FuzzyBlueDemon wrote:Just because something gets split between 3 parties doesn't mean it gets split in even thirds.

But either way, I'm guessing even the biggest Kickstarter doesn't hold a candle to the financial transactions of getting a run of figures produced & distributed to Target/Walmart/GameStop nationally.

So I doubt we see another Kickstarter from Todd simply because the relatively small amount of money generated versus the insanely large headache of dealing with collectors who prepaid for something going off the deep end in the comments can't possibly be worth it. He's t probably just throw up something unique/deluxe on his website & be done with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Todd has mentioned that another Kickstarter was planned, but that has been months ago. I do wonder if he dropped the concept.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Sat May 14, 2022 4:12 pm

Nebraska wrote:
FuzzyBlueDemon wrote:Just because something gets split between 3 parties doesn't mean it gets split in even thirds.

But either way, I'm guessing even the biggest Kickstarter doesn't hold a candle to the financial transactions of getting a run of figures produced & distributed to Target/Walmart/GameStop nationally.

So I doubt we see another Kickstarter from Todd simply because the relatively small amount of money generated versus the insanely large headache of dealing with collectors who prepaid for something going off the deep end in the comments can't possibly be worth it. He's t probably just throw up something unique/deluxe on his website & be done with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Todd has mentioned that another Kickstarter was planned, but that has been months ago. I do wonder if he dropped the concept.

Regardless, he doesn’t want to send another cent to Gaimen after a lengthy decades long court battle. The last time he gave any ground to Gaimen, he sued Todd for billions and it nearly bankrupted image completely and he lost three beloved characters to his company’s flagship comic, one of which was central to the main cast and another two fan favorites who went to a rival company for a pittance (One of which happened to be Miracle Man, who who was another Gaiman creation). Why on earth would he risk giving an inch to this guy again? Especially over an action figure? It doesn’t make any sense. No matter which way you slice it, these two are in a battle of attrition that is legally undefined. Gaimen can’t sell the character of medieval spawn like he did with Angela because his likeness includes visage and moniker of spawn. And Todd can’t market the character in his books because Gaimen reserves the right to protect his IP. So it’s this legal tug of war that neither side has any total control over. But because McFarlane has the lions share of licensing and publishing rights, he gets the brunt of the impact any time Gaimen tightens the screws on creative control for characters he owns and has 100% legitimacy over. It’s a dog shit deal for McFarlane but it’s the one he signed away on the dotted line when he formed image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
panther10

Mon May 16, 2022 4:20 am

Just FYI in case anyone is interested, Volumes 3 & 4 of the Spawn Compendium color editions are available for preorder on Amazon and they’re like $50 a pop for 50 issues per volume. It’s a pretty damn good deal. That’s like $1 an issue. Also it’s the furthest that Todd has ever reprinted his main Spawn series in TPB/HC/OMNI format because prior to this he never made it past issue 120 or so. Now he definitely seems committed to reprinting the entire archive from #1-current in part thanks to the 30th anniversary of Spawn this year. Hopefully we’ll see volume’s 5 & 6 go up later this summer and volume 7 should be ready to go by January 2024 or so? Issue 330 goes out to print this month if I’m not mistaken so if there are 50 issues per volume, the next volume won’t drop for at least another 19 months

barbecue17
Runs Around in Tights

Mon May 16, 2022 5:09 pm

So, the Spawn Universe books are going to get TPBs soon, right? While I'm reading the older stuff (I'm in the second compendium in the mid #80s) I do want to start with the newer stuff as well.

Also, just an FYI I just picked up Haunt from Walmart.com. Walmart.com and GameStop both have Ninja Spawn in stock as well. It's interesting how these kind of trickle out with a new figure every week or two. I wonder when Raven Spawn v2 will start showing up?
panther10

Mon May 16, 2022 6:21 pm

barbecue17 wrote:So, the Spawn Universe books are going to get TPBs soon, right? While I'm reading the older stuff (I'm in the second compendium in the mid #80s) I do want to start with the newer stuff as well.

Also, just an FYI I just picked up Haunt from Walmart.com. Walmart.com and GameStop both have Ninja Spawn in stock as well. It's interesting how these kind of trickle out with a new figure every week or two. I wonder when Raven Spawn v2 will start showing up?
I would assume the various spin off books like scorched, king spawn, gunslinger and spawn universe get their own tpbs or even a joint omni at some point moving forward. I think it would make more sense for Todd to do both. He recently made an announcement on Instagram about a whole line of trade paperbacks and compendium volumes that he was going to be putting out on Spawn’s 30th Anniversary(which was last month on April 1st) along with a mea culpa that his ground game and prior attempts at reprints has been somewhat shoddy at best.

Todd generally doesn’t like putting the money towards financing trades or Omnis because he figures that why waste all of those resources on reprints if peoples are just going to buy the issues digitally? But two things have changed the dynamic on that front 1) ComiXology is not what it used to be and has systemic user friendly related issues ever since it was bought out by Amazon that so far seem to be a feature not a glitch. And 2) the entire archive of Spawn is a little too big for its britches now for new readers to digest.

When you are 300+ issues deep into an ongoing title, the best and most accessible place to read those comics is still in physical media. Because it’s in the palm of your hand. There’s no hunting anything down, you don’t ever have to worry about certain issues not being region free or too expensive to purchase. When you have a physical copy of that archive, Everything is right there, cover to cover and in your collection forever. And best of all. When each book covers 50 issues a volume, you only need 6 volumes to get to 300 issues. And they’re all softcover too and at $50 a pop it’s practically a public service to get these books in this format.

Seriously for anyone who has been waiting for this kind of launchpad to get in on Spawn, don’t sit on this. This is the time to start reading these comics if you have ever been interested or curious about the character.

Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 16, 2022 7:51 pm

I've been purging my comic collection over the years. I only buy omnibus' now so I'm hoping Spawn is eventually released in that format. I'm not a fan of the softcover compendiums. Todd has to see how well Marvel Omnibus sell.

panther10

Mon May 16, 2022 8:06 pm

Nebraska wrote:I've been purging my comic collection over the years. I only buy omnibus' now so I'm hoping Spawn is eventually released in that format. I'm not a fan of the softcover compendiums. Todd has to see how well Marvel Omnibus sell.

I think the compendiums are as close as we’re going to get. And I think more people are going to be receptive to a $50 softcover compendium vs a $150 Omnibus. That hits the wallet a lot harder for the same amount of issues. All we’re paying extra for at that price is the difference between hardcover vs softcover format. It’s not even a matter of colored issues vs black and white printing because Todd offers both versions in the compendium volumes. I’d rather get my entire collection of 300 issues for $300 dollars. That is a game changer for my comic buying habits. I don’t even spend $1 a book on a monthly floppy. That is less the cost of paperstock on a monthly floppy AND gas. Think about that.

Sirtank
Avengers Assemble

Tue May 17, 2022 2:58 am

A lot of people prefer the hardcover versions and don't mind paying the difference. I've got the hardcover origins books though I had to pick up one of them in German just to fill the spot on my shelf. I'm not interested in the compendiums myself, although I can't promise I won't eventually pick them up if Todd doesn't start the Hardcovers again.
panther10

Tue May 17, 2022 6:10 am

Sirtank wrote:A lot of people prefer the hardcover versions and don't mind paying the difference. I've got the hardcover origins books though I had to pick up one of them in German just to fill the spot on my shelf. I'm not interested in the compendiums myself, although I can't promise I won't eventually pick them up if Todd doesn't start the Hardcovers again.
You never know with Todd. History shows that he usually gets bored with TPB and hardcover collections after about the first 120 issues or so. He’s making an exception this time because it’s the 30th anniversary and this has to get done hook or by crook, I just hope that theory holds the next time he decides to reprint these books. I hope there is someone in his office that is there to tell him that customers depend on reprints. Because it’s really easy to get lost in the chaos of month to month floppies when you have a giant pull list and you have no idea if you were behind or not. I ran into that problem just yesterday when I was in the store picking up issues for Spider-Man: Beyond because I’ve been out of commission with a sinus infection for the last two months and yesterday was my first chance to get to my LCS, but when I got there, I only had 5 issues waiting for me. I was like “well this can’t be right? Did they forget to pull the last 30 days worth of issues?” In any case I grabbed what they had and took it home but I feel like I’m going to finish the story an it’s going to get a little disjointed towards the end and it won’t necessarily be the writers fault this time.

Anyway back on topic with spawn toys, I was a little behind on these figures so I ordered Cy-Gor, She Spawn and Soul Crusher off of BBTS a couple days ago and they just shipped. I was also debating getting the commando spawn and Mandarin Spawn but then thought better of it. I can wait for a comic version of Commando Spawn and when it comes to Mandarin Spawn, none of the variations tickle my fancy. We’ve seen gold and red, and blue and silver but I kind of want to see a Jade Green, Ivory and Indigo variant. I’m not sure why but there is something about that color scheme that would look awfully spiffy

NorrinRadd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 18, 2022 3:57 pm

She Spawn = firmly ensconced in the action figure booty Hall of Fame.

Just sayin’.
Count Drunkula
Faster than a speeding bullet

Wed May 18, 2022 4:48 pm

NorrinRadd wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:57 pm
She Spawn = firmly ensconced in the action figure booty Hall of Fame.

Just sayin’.
...can't really argue with that...
Blackestday
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri May 20, 2022 12:24 am

SalemCrow wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:11 am
My Spawn with throne FINALLY arrived from my Target order 2 weeks ago, and I have to say I love him.

The figure itself is a big improvement over the MK Spawn, but with the giant cape I got from gpslot, he's near perfect.

I think the MK version with his soft goods cape can sit in the throne now.

For now though, this figure looks great sitting in his throne with his cape reaching out.
ImageSpawn by lionpride75, on Flickr
which cape did you order? i think i want one.
panther10

Fri May 20, 2022 1:39 am

Blackestday wrote:
SalemCrow wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:11 am
My Spawn with throne FINALLY arrived from my Target order 2 weeks ago, and I have to say I love him.

The figure itself is a big improvement over the MK Spawn, but with the giant cape I got from gpslot, he's near perfect.

I think the MK version with his soft goods cape can sit in the throne now.

For now though, this figure looks great sitting in his throne with his cape reaching out.
ImageSpawn by lionpride75, on Flickr
which cape did you order? i think i want one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373980999982?m ... media=COPY

ditko
Thread Killer

Fri May 20, 2022 1:59 am

Got Spawn in the mail today from Entertainment Earth today!! Still boxed, but this dude is awesome. I want more obviously, but a cool set. I am gonna change the leg pouches in the future, maybe on a copy, and he seriously could be the Spawn I have been wanting :)

Also hoping Todd does a Page Puncher LCS line for Spawn too. Shorter run and like Famous Covers.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2022 2:47 am

Do any of these custom capes come with the chain as well? Seems like most don’t have the skulls and chain.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”

Recent Topics