McFarlane Toys 7inch Spawn

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
DeadMallsTellNoTales
HULK SMASH!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys 7inch Spawn

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:10 pm

Kinda let down that Clown costs so much more. I feel like I would not miss the guns in any way if it dropped the price down to be in line with the rest of the basic line. Might just stick with Redeemer and see what new reveals come down the pipe.
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:32 am

Here is a pic of She Spawn from today's comic. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same as the figure. Since it's being teased as a Deluxe, it probably comes loaded with weaponry like Clown.

Speaking of Clown, I imagine he'll get another release without all the extras later on. Probably with various repaints too. Surely there won't be one and done releases for these molds.Image
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:28 am

The Redeemer variant looks great! Def want a few.

allew
Here comes a new challenger!

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:13 am

Malefik Spawn up for preorder on Amazon:

Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:22 am

allew wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:13 am

Malefik Spawn up for preorder on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/McFarlane-Toys-M ... B08X8JNSZV
Gotta throw in the [url] around there else links get all funky.
Malefik would fit in with all the new Spawns. I think he looks distinct enough that he could he be his own separate Hellspawn.
kboe1313
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:21 am

Nice effect pieces! I hope to see more accessories like this in both the Spawn and DC lines.
ditko
Thread Killer

Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:23 am

I think Raven Spawn is the unsung hero here, I love the design, detail and he has more paint than the others. Whole wave is killer.

Spawn's Universe #1 was really cool and fun. Pretty sure Cy-Gor is already proto-d and that Disruptor guy will be cool as hell as a figure!
JD Stevens
Faster than a speeding bullet

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 pm

I got an email from McFarlane toys yesterday, as I’m sure others did, showing where the Spawn figures are available for preorder.
I think it was kind of wrong to show the preorder for Gunslinger at Target that sold out last week.
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:51 pm

I think it's safe to say that we'll see more of Gunslinger, whether that's through re-releases at Target or a general release around when the Gunslinger's solo ongoing launches in October.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:30 pm

Sloth15 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:32 am
Here is a pic of She Spawn from today's comic. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same as the figure. Since it's being teased as a Deluxe, it probably comes loaded with weaponry like Clown.
One thing I could never stand about 90’s image comics were the way the weapons in Spawn comics looked like 3 different rifles duct-taped together. This picture seems better, but another image I saw of She Spawn had the same issue with implausibly designed weapons. Certain details seem like they were drawn from observation (like the adjustable stock), but then others defy sense. I don’t understand how this is still a problem- we have the internet. And even if we didn’t, America is so gun obsessed it seems really weird to not know what one looks like.

Not saying the weapons need to accurate to some real world design, but some of these things are absurd looking and it which detracts from the grounded elements of the fiction.
Seamus McSuperfly
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:40 pm

What part of Spawn is grounded?
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:09 pm

supreme-d wrote: Not saying the weapons need to accurate to some real world design, but some of these things are absurd looking and it which detracts from the grounded elements of the fiction.
Totally agree. I'm usually banging on about swords and stuff when it comes to that, but I'll get on board with complaining about it with guns, too. It doesn't have to mirror something that actually exists in perfect detail, but it should respect how things work unless there's a good reason to deviate. I use Lord of the Rings for hand weapons because none of those items existed in history, but all of them could have. I think (and I'm no gun nut here) that the M41A Pulse Rifle in Alien is a good example of a gun that is not real, but it looks like it -could- be. And that's, in my opinion, the kind of verisimilitude to aim for in sci-fi and fantasy.

Seamus McSuperfly wrote:What part of Spawn is grounded?
A lot of it? That's true in 99% of fiction. The fictional elements are layered on top of a grounded 'real' place that the audience can easily understand and feel familiar with. Al was a human man. He worked for a real life organization. He lives on a fictionalized version of our actual planet, including its flora and fauna. People use phones to call each other, eat the same foods we eat in real life, speak the same languages we speak. There's homeless people. Corrupt government officials. We (the audience) understand how most 'mundane' things function because they function the same as in the real world, and therefore don't need to be explained to us.
Most fiction is fairly grounded -- especially superhero fiction, since it often takes place in our real world with the superhero and fantasy stuff layered on top.
That's why Supreme-D is talking about the grounded 'elements' of the fiction -- the stuff that makes us feel connected to it. Water is wet. Trees grow upward. The planet is a sphere and gravity works as normal unless altered by a fantasy element. That kind of stuff.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:57 pm

KD hit all the points I was talking about. I get that it’s fiction, but it takes place on earth and deals with some facsimiles of real world organizations and phenomenon. But when I see a gun like this:

I start to wonder why. Is she picking those up from people she’s just killed, or carrying only one magazine of ammo for each of those guns and throws them away after the ammunition is spent? If so, why not just use one weapon- what is gained by taping a handgun to a light machine gun?

Now, I haven’t read these new Spawn comics (or any since like issue 150), so if there’s an in-fiction reason she constantly chooses to strap together multiple weapons of several different ammunition types together into a bundle, I’m willing to change my opinion. Maybe it’s like Agent Venom, and she can control all of the weapons independently through some form of telekinesis? I’m willing to change my opinion if it’s explained. But recalling the 90’s Spawn comics, I expect the weapons just look that way because people thought it was cool, and that draws me away from the story.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:16 pm

supreme-d wrote: Now, I haven’t read these new Spawn comics (or any since like issue 150), so if there’s an in-fiction reason she constantly chooses to strap together multiple weapons of several different ammunition types together into a bundle, I’m willing to change my opinion. Maybe it’s like Agent Venom, and she can control all of the weapons independently through some form of telekinesis? I’m willing to change my opinion if it’s explained. But recalling the 90’s Spawn comics, I expect the weapons just look that way because people thought it was cool, and that draws me away from the story.
In case you're curious -- as far as I'm aware your instinct is correct: it's just because it 'looks cool.' No actual in-universe explanation.
And again, I'm fine with things being done to look cool. But I think the problem is that for the people that have any idea what they're looking at - it DOESN'T look cool, and for the people that don't know what they're looking at - something more realistic would have looked just as cool. So I never understand the compulsion artists/sculptors/whatever have toward ludicrous designs.
What's to be gained here besides alienating the people that are going to realize how absolutely goofy and dumb it looks? I don't get it.
Chooch
Avengers Assemble

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:48 pm

I think the answer to who does this appeal to is 13-year-old me - and presumably those like me. Growing up in the 80's "more is always better era" by the early 90's an overly impossible gun (along with overly impossible spikes, muscles, breasts, and pouches) just looked awesome. I'm back on the Spawn wagon now for nostalgia of that time. Even the bike pictured above is rounded in a 90's way to look cool - showing the front and back at the same time. If I were coming in cold to Spawn now as a 44 year old man, those things (along with the captions describing the action the artist is already drawing) would be a turn off for me. But it tickles my inner adolescent.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”