General NECA Talk

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: General NECA Talk

Thu May 26, 2022 6:14 pm

That's kind of the perfect exclusive. I don't feel the need for it because I would just leave it in the poster pose, but it might not have gotten made otherwise.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Thu May 26, 2022 6:25 pm

That is extremely cool and I will buy it without hesitation.
FuzzyBlueDemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 6:39 pm

I too think that's a really cool idea for an exclusive. If given the opportunity, I'll probably order one. I feel like it's in the same vein as the colorized poster version of Godzilla they did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Deckard
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 11:15 pm

I found that T2 sarah/john set at Target today for $55. I was surprised to see it. Even more surprised that it wasn't inflated to $70 like the Halloween 2 pack.
citysushi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 11:35 pm

Only one exclusive for me so far (TMNT). No Predator or Alien this year?
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 8:04 pm

Looks like it might just be the four exclusives this year. But they all go on sale next Friday per NECA’s social sites.

Really hoping for some life injected into properties that feel dead on the vine. I know Xeno and Predator variations are what keep those lines marketable, but I’d really like to see more humans from Alien/Aliens. They have the likenesses for the whole Alien cast at this point, so the Nostromo looks for Kane, Dallas, and Lambert would be very welcome. It seems like Marines are a bridge too far, but some Kenner Marines should still be possible.

For general horror, I really hope to see an Ultimate Conjuring Valak and another wave of Puppet Master puppets.
FuzzyBlueDemon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 8:14 pm

From a few tweets from Randy over the past months I've seen on the matter, it sounds like Disney taking ownership of Alien & Predator have unsurprisingly made it much more difficult to get anything approved & put into production. It seemed like Fox had pretty much given them creative freedom.

september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 8:27 pm

FuzzyBlueDemon wrote:From a few tweets from Randy over the past months I've seen on the matter, it sounds like Disney taking ownership of Alien & Predator have unsurprisingly made it much more difficult to get anything approved & put into production. It seemed like Fox had pretty much given them creative freedom.

Interesting and a bummer. I don’t closely follow Randy’s Twitter, so that’s news to me. I was all-in on Aliens for awhile, but the Kenner/arcade repaints weren’t necessary to me, and I haven’t played Fireteam.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Fri May 27, 2022 8:48 pm

Bummer. Part of Disney's ongoing effort to sanitize and homogenize all media.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 9:07 pm

Well there is a new Predator movie coming out. And it finally is doing something I’ve wanted the franchise to do for a long time, which is set the story in another time in history. So just by green lighting that concept, I feel they’ve made more of an effort to give the franchise new blood than the last few films which were under Fox.

Maybe NECA just burned out a bit on Predator and Alien. Maybe they’re just concentrating on other brands which are either more lucrative or at least something different and potentially more interesting to them right now.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 9:16 pm

Last I heard (pre-pandemic) Alien and Predator were their top two brands. Have they dropped in sales that much?
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 9:23 pm

Mr potatohead wrote:Last I heard (pre-pandemic) Alien and Predator were their top two brands. Have they dropped in sales that much?
I don’t think there’s a doubt that TMNT is their top focus at this point. With the product alone, I imagine it’s their highest gross…maybe not net, but who knows.

Whats frustrating is there’s still an occasional Alien/Predator release. Many redecos/updates. It would be great if they could squeeze in a human when they do them, since we’re always told humans aren’t the draw. But when they burn through the monsters and rereleases with no other figures, it’s clear they don’t have any intention of finishing what they started.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 9:54 pm

september_death wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:23 pm
Mr potatohead wrote:Last I heard (pre-pandemic) Alien and Predator were their top two brands. Have they dropped in sales that much?
I don’t think there’s a doubt that TMNT is their top focus at this point. With the product alone, I imagine it’s their highest gross…maybe not net, but who knows.

Whats frustrating is there’s still an occasional Alien/Predator release. Many redecos/updates. It would be great if they could squeeze in a human when they do them, since we’re always told humans aren’t the draw. But when they burn through the monsters and rereleases with no other figures, it’s clear they don’t have any intention of finishing what they started.
That's a shame.
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 2:02 am

I think Disney really is messing with approvals. It was obvious for months that NECA was trying to debut the Fireteam figures but were unable to. They kept alluding to awaiting approvals to show something Alien related and it was clear it had to be FE. And then look how long it took for them to finally show 'em off.
Deckard
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 2:04 am

september_death wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:04 pm
For general horror, I really hope to see an Ultimate Conjuring Valak and another wave of Puppet Master puppets.
Big yes to both of those.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”