Diamond Select - General Thread for Munsters, Universal etc

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Ultramane
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Diamond Select - General Thread for Munsters, Universal etc

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:09 am

i saw the regular crow a couple days ago and it murdered any enthusiasm i had for the exclusive. head too small, neck too big, articulation is subpar. i'm over it. simply existing isn't good enough
wesitron
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:40 am

Ultramane wrote:
simply existing isn't good enough
And I think herein lies my biggest beef with the Select line. It’s just wildly inconsistent. Some characters have the old DCUC H style hips that most companies have dropped by now, while others have a much smoother transition from hip to thigh. Some figures will have double hinged knees, but no biceps swivel. John Wick will come with a box full of guns while Teddy Flood’s pistol is glued in its holster. Likenesses seem to be hit and miss, and the scale is all over the place.

DST every once in a while will legitimately put out one of the best figures in the business, but there doesn’t seem to be any consistent vision for what a Select figure is. I know they employ different sculptors and artists to bring character to life, but I would love someone at Diamond to give some direction to maintain consistency across the properties. As Ultramane said, “simply existing isn’t good enough.”
InanimateObjects
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:37 pm

wesitron wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:40 am
Ultramane wrote:
simply existing isn't good enough
And I think herein lies my biggest beef with the Select line. It’s just wildly inconsistent. Some characters have the old DCUC H style hips that most companies have dropped by now, while others have a much smoother transition from hip to thigh. Some figures will have double hinged knees, but no biceps swivel. John Wick will come with a box full of guns while Teddy Flood’s pistol is glued in its holster. Likenesses seem to be hit and miss, and the scale is all over the place.

DST every once in a while will legitimately put out one of the best figures in the business, but there doesn’t seem to be any consistent vision for what a Select figure is. I know they employ different sculptors and artists to bring character to life, but I would love someone at Diamond to give some direction to maintain consistency across the properties. As Ultramane said, “simply existing isn’t good enough.”
Well said, both of you.

C.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:00 am

Take their Ghostbusters line for example. Ray looked pretty good, pretty accurate for the price point, but then everyone else looked nothing like their actors. And then the Egon sculpt looked like it was made out of play-doh. The sculpts were good on the bodies, but the articulation was terrible. They had many accessories, but bad quality control.

I really don't like how much they change a prototype, full of good, functional-looking articulation, and they change it to swivel-hinges that look like they were sculpted in under a minute. They don't really take in consideration careful joint engineering, to lower part numbers and maximize motion, they just cut the figures however they want.

Take the recent Legolas for example. The prototype had double jointed elbows, good for an archer character. They changed it to single jointed. Okay, if done correctly, as figma figures, hasbro, even hot toys with their big muscular bodies, it can have a lot of range of movement. You just gotta sculpt it right, and test it. It doesn't cost more to do it right. But they really didn't do it as good as it could have been.

It's weird, it's like they are way overbudget and at the same time way underbudget with the choices they choose. The can do many figures, with many accessories, a lot of paint washes and details, which are expensive, but then they cut back articulation and things on other figures.

Then there's the whole bad international availability but I kinda understand that that's just way harder to do for a company that isn't as big as Mattel or Hasbro.

It's just that sometimes their figures have a lot of potential, but they don't always come through with it. Oh well.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:11 am

Found Avatar: The Last Airbender Deluxe Toph and Ozai yesterday at Things From Another World in LA. They look great all accessorized - wish my first look at the finished product wasn't ON THE SHELF.

They come with all the accessories the Walgreen's versions did (minus the black stand) plus a LOT more, which makes my purchase of the Walgreen's versions completely redundant. Guess that's why the company has still not released official images of the final Deluxe Series III.

It is super annoying to now have to offload the Walgreen's versions because it's too late to return them.
Neanderthal
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:36 pm

The person in charge of posing the figures on display, from Diamond Select, must be joking. For years i've notice how they are bad at posing the figures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uVnCNsJVwk

If you pay attention at 1:30 you will see Titanium man with a sad face, because his right arm is twisted to the back, the shoulder pad is upside down, his legs and waist are twisted backward, his butt is turned to the front, his legs are bent like chicken legs and who did that just turned his feet to the front. I can't imagine that the person didn't have the intention to do this on purpose.
Johnny_Utah
Avengers Assemble

Sat May 08, 2021 11:16 pm

Zach I need that full Cobra Kai wave! When will we get full pics and a PO?
MSWord
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 09, 2021 5:51 am

This week.
Johnny_Utah
Avengers Assemble

Sun May 09, 2021 11:38 am

Awesome thank you!

I would love to see you guys do more martial arts figures especially based on the early films from Van Damme!

Bloodsport, Kickboxer, then Universal Soldier and Timecop.
Comedian
Runs Around in Tights

Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 am

Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 10, 2021 1:56 am

Comedian wrote:BBTS pile of loot.
Image263E3D9B-F606-409F-BE38-0E50553B19A1 by Comedian Horseman, on Flickr
Nice! Did BBTS drive a box truck to your house?

Have fun opening!
TheJoker
Some people call him Maurice

Tue May 11, 2021 11:37 am

Anyone order the Tron SDCC set? Was wondering if they showed off the package design. Seems to be sold out in many places.
MattelElite4Life
Super Poseable

Tue May 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Sdcc exclusive crow

MSWord
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 11, 2021 4:31 pm

TheJoker wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:37 am
Anyone order the Tron SDCC set? Was wondering if they showed off the package design. Seems to be sold out in many places.
Packaging is not finished. Three retro-style blister cards in a large window box.

Obviously that Crow package is not finished either, but you get the gist.
Comedian
Runs Around in Tights

Tue May 11, 2021 5:09 pm

Yup preordered the crow, tron and the NBX sdcc sets.

Any word on more Disney select figures, like black hole and what not?

Any thoughts and doing the crow: cit of angels? Very underrated film.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”