The Star Trek thread

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
willbfree
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Star Trek thread

Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:47 am

In the promo image, Data’s pants legs don’t even reach his ankles. Hopefully whoever assembled these prototypes just didn’t push hard enough when he put the boots on.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:24 am

The most retro thing about these figures is it looks like their hands won't hold ANY OBJECTS WHATSOEVER.

Thats as Playmates as it gets lol. I have all the old Playmates figures, so I don't know if I need to get in on this line. But I do like the updated articulation, and it seems from the promo pics that maybe the likenesses will be a lot stronger. So, I may have to get in on these.

I wish they'd make figures of the new movies from the new timeline. Like Chris Pine and all that.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:38 am

Oof. These are looking rough.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:59 am

Artistix wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:51 am
They look ok for Playmates. Hopefully they don't overproduce the first few waves. Can't see these flying off shelves.

Playmates did much better promo images 25 years ago.

I was scared when I read your post at first. I thought you hated these. It’s been a long time for sure I remember chatting about Star Trek way back on the old Art Asylum forum with Jules-Love-Shinzon and Captain Burnes, man has that really been 20 years already? I sadly lost touch with those people over in Europe, I would sure like to hear how they are doing and see if they are anxiously awaiting these new Star Trek goodies as much as I am! I agree, the promo images from the past were superb. I can’t wait to photograph these new figures if the Ben 10 and TMNT figures produced recently by Playmates are any indication the articulation, while not super-articulated opens up a lot of cool poses for scene building.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:59 pm

It's disappointing there's no 'premium' 6" ML/Black Series Line for Trek. It's out of Playmates' wheelhouse.

However, it's also very reassuring, because it's money saved.

It will give the Art Asylum/Select Line more uniqueness and value.

In lieu of the Playmates reveal, I decided to hunt down one of the last ones left from AA/DST that I wanted.

Found this guy on the secondary market this wk.

Artistix wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:51 am
Ah. Those were the best years to be a kid.
The Gill-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:59 pm

Most of the likenesses on these are pretty soft, with the exception of Khan. He actually looks decent compared to the other figures.

A part of me wants to support this line, but I'm not wowed by anything I'm seeing. Add in the likelihood that, as per usual, we won't get full crews...I just don't think I'll bite. This may change if I see them in stores, but it's unlikely. Guess we'll continue to dream of a Black Series style line.
FPJonesIII
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:24 am

I have to give it to Playmate's Toys, they've exceeded my expectations so-far. Granted, my expectations were exceptionally low for this line, but I'll consider that an accomplishment for them.

The figures don't look amazing, but they do look nice. They also have way more articulation than I was expecting. I'll also say that the character selection is nice. Part of me wants to hope that these won't be the only ones they ever do, but we'll see...

My biggest issue with them is the apparent lack of any accessories for them. Especially for what online retailers are charging for them. Not that they could really utilize them with those hands, but that's not exactly a new thing with PT. That said, I kinda wonder if they might actually have some. Could just be the way he's posed, but Data's right hand looks like it could be shaped to hold a tricorder.

Assuming we actually see these sold at brick&mortar stores AND I'm able to find them myself, I might just get Riker. He's easily my favorite TNG character and I've already got several representations of him, including an old PT figure, so I'm not exactly opposed to another.

I'm mostly amazed that they're doing more than just figures. I'll more than likely pass on it, as I've got a DST version, but that Enterprise looks good. What I might actually get is that phaser. It's not the most accurate replica, but it looks good enough for me and doesn't cost too much. Bonus if the type 1 phaser can be removed from the type 2 body.

Assuming this line actually continues, I hope they do figures from DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery's more recent stuff, Lower Decks, and Strange New Worlds. Also put me down for wanting to see them do more ships and props. I have my doubts about DST ever releasing anything Trek related ever again. Not even the things they're already mid-development on, like the Enterprise-C.
Avon
Avengers Assemble

Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:03 am

These look fun to me. Do we know what the ankle articulation is likely to be like? I’d have loved it if they had oring/mythic legions style torso artic, but definitely keeping an eye out for in hand reviews.
gitwer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:54 pm

Everyone but Khan looks so "baby-ish," for lack of a better term. Spock's hair looks like magic shell. And that Data, from above the shoulders... yikes.

On the one hand, sure, these are early prototypes. On the other, this is what they chose to give us as our first look at the line. Marketing department, where you at??

I really really really want this line to do well. This is likely our last shot for a very long time at a Trek line, and I'm really 50-50 on how they're coming out of the gate. Product selection for the first offering is excellent. Attention to detail (with things like the gold trim on Kirk's admiral uni) is stellar. The bit of a kewpie doll look and haphazard presentation of these photos is concerning.

I hope, even if the line doesn't do well at retail, Playmates can at least cobble together some (possibly direct-to-consumer?) boxed sets of entire main casts like the old TOS set.
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:46 pm

I hope this line does well too. I'd like to get as close to full crews as possible. There's just so many characters to do, even if you just do the main cast from each show/era. If Strange New Worlds is a breakout hit (and I hope it is) that'll help drive this line even more.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:29 pm

I honestly think better lighting and photography is what’s needed here. I noticed even on the posing of the figures Khan’s knees were posed to far inward giving him the impression of having large hips, bad posture and less intimidating body language. It looks like he’s waiting in line for the latrine. Michael Burnham the forward facing shin is actually the back of the calf. The Delta shields on the sides of her boot should be facing out. I can go on to point out other little nit picks but my point is all these little things add up to give one an impression. It doesn’t help that Mark Zuckerberg in a recent pasty faced photograph looks like another Soong clone. I hope these will have at least an extra set of hands for accessories, I do like the open hand option due to the infamous face palm pose. It doesn’t look like it in the picture, but hopefully the wrist is a swivel/ball joint combo. I’m hoping for accessories that are screen accurate and figure stands are very nice to have. I hope this line has much success.
gitwer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:01 am

dchimpy wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:46 pm
I hope this line does well too. I'd like to get as close to full crews as possible. There's just so many characters to do, even if you just do the main cast from each show/era. If Strange New Worlds is a breakout hit (and I hope it is) that'll help drive this line even more.
Deeefinitely on full crews. Just from core crews alone (and at the risk of getting all wish-listy):
-Original crew in TOS, TMP, WOK-on movie unis
-TNG s3 on, FC unis, and whoever is appropriate in the Generations/DS9 jumpsuit
-DS9 crew in jumpsuits, post-FC era black and gray
-Voy & Enterprise are easy with one-and-dones
(If I'm being greedy I also would like TOS pilot-era and TNG s1. Despite the flashbacks to all the pegwarming with the latter in Playmates' first go at them.)

Disco and SNW too, naturally. It's a shame that my favorite Discovery uniforms lasted for literally one scene and the likelihood of ever seeing those in plastic is insanely slim.
bgiles73
Avengers Assemble

Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:41 am

I don’t see anyone mentioning crews in Space Suits. Enterprise series had some really cool EV suits as did the 24th Century from First Contact movie on. I really want these to have clear visors too. Discovery has revealed some pretty awesome space suits too. Just thinking about those scenes in space I really want a figure of that suited Torch Bearer from Discovery! So many different looks to draw from for Klingons from all the different Houses! I hope when Playmates does Borg drones now too, they will consider all the different looks that Art Aslum was showing and the Final Borg figure that DST did with all the interchangeable accessories. It would be really good to get mileage out of each figure in our collectives. I really can’t wait to see what could potentially happen if this line really takes off!
willbfree
Customized

Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:06 am

Composited side by side comparison of old and new Picards, by someone on Reddit:

I doubt the contrast will be as dramatic in person.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:19 am

It’s a good reminder pic though. I think some peoe are remembering the old figures with rose tinted glasses on. They were awkward…and even in 1994 I hated how they sat down.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”