Four Horsemen - Mythic Legions

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
minitaur
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Four Horsemen - Mythic Legions

Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:56 pm

MollyMillions wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:37 am
I did find it odd it was on LegionShop and not an official channel.

The Mythic Customs connection always... I don't want to say rubbed me wrong, and it's not sketchy per se... The fact he has his own custom side gig, channel, shop, and is an official position at the company (correct me if I'm wrong) seems cagey.

Like if Hasbro's Dwight or MSWord here sold ML and Select kitbash lots and alternate portraits on the side.
It’s an odd scenario to be sure. On one hand, since 4 Horseman are a small company they can find talented superfamily artists and offer them part-time jobs. It would be like if Hasbro offered ToyBro or ShartimusPrime some money to consult on figure designs.

No problem there. It only gets weird when Hasbro would have an SDCC exclusive figure that can only be purchased at SDCC and The figure is an homage to ShartimusPrime. And then Shartimus Prime tells his fans they can buy it on his T-shirt website for the cost of SDCC Admission Ticket + the SDCC price, but of course Hasbro sold them to him at below SDCC wholesale prices. So the extra money just goes into Shartimus’s pocket.

It gets sticky when the exclusive now gets the price increased arbitrarily to take advantage of super fans who will pay anything.

I’m glad the regular release will include both heads so this type of behavior will be curbed in the future. Everyone who paid extra got burned so fewer will be willing to pay extra and the 3rd party consultants getting exclusive figures won’t Jack the prices up in the future if this shenanigans happens again.

What’s funny is I bet 4 Horseman thought “exclusive figure will be a cool and fun way to get the con back post-pandemic” without realizing there’s nothing fun about exclusive con figures for the 99.99% of fans who can’t make it to the con.

It’s probably not even exciting for the actual con attendees who have to choose been walking around the con and standing in line for 5+ hours to get the figure. And the whole time stressing out if it will sell out before their turn in line comes.

Disappointing from a company who gained their fans by having a stress-free unlimited preorder model.

I’m not on Facebook but for those who are, I’m wondering how the Cabal is taking the exclusive. If they’re happy or upset or mixed.
Subby
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:09 pm

That’s exactly why I don’t like any kind of exclusives.
minitaur
Customized

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:41 pm

Normally I hate to be negative in the toy community. There’s a ton of toxicity in it, and it’s supposed to be an escapist hobby. I find it important to be vocally negative when it’s something that might spark useful change. I’ve already said my piece and won’t keep hammering this point, but I do hope enough people express frustration with this con exclusive to spark positive change in the form of them never doing con exclusives again.

With SDCC exclusives and Hasbro, I’d speculate they have marketing funds allocated to the teams that normally wouldn’t exist. It would be okay to make a non-profitable toy as long as it’s an SDCC exclusive because the marketing department cost center contributes funding to the brand teams to make stuff possible that otherwise wouldn’t be possible.

In the case of the 4Horseman Sir Gerard con exclusive, this is not the case. They had full intention to release the figure after the con in a standard unlimited preorder model. And while not disclosed in advance, they had intention to release the con “exclusive” head as part of the upcoming head pack.

The con did not allow for this figure to exist. It was going to exist anyway. All this exclusivity did was stress a lot of collectors out in exchange for a very small number of collectors to get massively excited for a short period of time. Psychological marketing that hurt more than it helped.

Had they announced their intentions ahead of the con, the false excitement for the figure would have been waned because the only benefit is getting it sooner and getting exclusive packaging. So they withheld that information about the head pack until not only after the con, but also after the Legions Shop inflated price sale.

I still love 4 Horseman, will continue to collect the figures, and at the end of the day I’ll still be able to get this “exclusive” figure at retail price, but dang, I was stressed out. I almost cancelled my Saturday plans with family last week when the Legions Shop drop was supposed to hit, but I figured it would likely sell out in seconds anyway, even at the inflated price, so 90% chance I’d be cancelling my plans to sit in front of a computer for nothing.

I wasted 20 minutes mentally debating this. Ultimately I decided to keep my plans with my family and it was a good choice. Fun exclusive, huh?

I’m hopeful enough fans express dislike over this exclusive that they don’t do one again.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 pm

I lurk the Cabal and a Canadian group.

Overall the reaction to the figure is positive, with the negative energy more being a "**** those who got the exclusive, haha suckers" sort of thing. The faithful who scored it are happy to get one, and now due to the head mix up everyone is happy.

But the Cabal is generally a sycophantic place where everyone is also happy that you have to pay triple digits for older figures, enjoy the privilege. Horsemen do no wrong.

Canadian Neutral group is more ambivalent about the exclusive version, but happy about this head mix up.

Which I'm still unclear if it's a mix up or a skit.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:26 pm

Maybe LegionShop could throw in a “free” item with the figure from the shop to even things out a bit for those that bought from there. Like a sword,axe,shield,etc.

Unless the regular version sells for $50 there will be a big difference in price.

Either way I’m good and glad I got the “Con” version.

I hope when the VISIONARY figure gets released, I can sell it for cost to as many people who want to buy it.
yorick_skirata
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:33 pm

Subby wrote:That’s exactly why I don’t like any kind of exclusives.
As someone that has been collecting for a few decades (and it’s not in the US), I have given up on figure lines more than once due to frustration with exclusives.

Being exclusive or not don’t matter, at all, to me. And I’m not a completist. Sold out pieces that I can’t get because I passed and regret bother me but don’t irritate or frustrate me.

But nothing irritates me more than wanting a figure and not being able to buy it due to “not jumping through the hoops”.

I understand the exclusive repaint. It does bothers me when I want and can’t get. But it rarely irritates me.

I also understand the hasbro (exclusive due to partnership) or Neca (licensing issues) exclusive models. I don’t like it and it is one of the reasons I avoid some lines.

I even accept paying a higher price on an oddball exclusive to have it.

But excessive difficulty to buy their new products will change my relationship with a company, sometimes to the point of complete giving up.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:57 am

I plunged into Mythic Legions just recently and ordered skeleton and goblin troop builders from BBTS. Go them yesterday and love them both. Now I'm looking to do a bit of catch up. Next on my radar is Eagalus!
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:33 am

Godspeed on your aftermarket journey.

Yo Joe.
jokerjester
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:34 am

S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote:
TheFallen wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:30 am
Does anyone have leads on someone parting with a Sword Horseman?
Do you mean the actual sword: http://www.sourcehorsemen.com/mythic-le ... d-horsemen

Looks like they can be had for about 20 - 30 bucks on ebay, but I may have an extra if you can wait a bit and will cover postage. I moved and all my toys are packed up. Might not get to unpacking until some time in Jan.
Looking also for one :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:45 am

yojoebro82 wrote:
I plunged into Mythic Legions just recently and ordered skeleton and goblin troop builders from BBTS. Go them yesterday and love them both. Now I'm looking to do a bit of catch up. Next on my radar is Eagalus!
Unless to get one at a price you’re happy with then maybe wait until BBTS get their stock in.

I’ve been watching the BBTS listings for a couple of months now and I think there are people just sitting on preorders with no real intention of purchasing them when they hit. A lot of the figures from the Arethyr wave were sold out at preorder but when they hit they were all available because either people go their orders elsewhere or just didn’t have the funds at the time.

I’ve seen Eagalus come back up to preorder as early as a couple of days ago so maybe keep a tab open on him but I think you’ll be pretty safe getting him once the shipment comes in.

But don’t sleep on it too much when it does. They don’t hang around too long.
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:46 am

TheFallen wrote:
yojoebro82 wrote:
Unless you get one at a price you’re happy with then maybe wait until BBTS get their stock in.

I’ve been watching the BBTS listings for a couple of months now and I think there are people just sitting on preorders with no real intention of purchasing them when they hit. A lot of the figures from the Arethyr wave were sold out at preorder but when they hit they were all available because either people are just sitting on them, got their orders elsewhere or just didn’t have the funds at the time.

I’ve seen Eagalus come back up to preorder as early as a couple of days ago so maybe keep a tab open on him but I think you’ll be pretty safe getting him once the shipment comes in.

yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:51 pm

TheFallen wrote:
yojoebro82 wrote:
Unless to get one at a price you’re happy with then maybe wait until BBTS get their stock in.

I’ve been watching the BBTS listings for a couple of months now and I think there are people just sitting on preorders with no real intention of purchasing them when they hit. A lot of the figures from the Arethyr wave were sold out at preorder but when they hit they were all available because either people go their orders elsewhere or just didn’t have the funds at the time.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know he was still showing up on BBTS.
gosailor
Faster than a speeding bullet

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:17 pm

Ash Talon wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:01 am
I wonder if he'll just be an in-stock item like the Legion Builders next year. Probably have him manufactured at the same time. He'll pair well with the Black Knight Legion Builder.

Offering previously available heads is just odd. Almost every figure comes with an alternate head. Who's really needing extras of existing heads? I think they should have votes on head sculpts with different paint schemes to match the upcoming deluxe and in-stock Legion Builders. Imagine getting the new deluxe dwarf Legion Builder head but in bronze to pair with the bronze dwarf legion builder. Stuff like that. A multi-pack of alternate heads for the "all-star" and deluxe Legion Builders would be a great way for getting some variety for the Legions.
That's exactly what I want. I get that people want reprints of existing heads so they can recreate hard to get characters but I want repaints! That's way more interesting to me.
gosailor
Faster than a speeding bullet

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:20 pm

TheFallen wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:04 am
This was posted in the Cabal
**Public Service Announcement**
* 6 heads will be released
* 5 slots remain (because Sir Girard is confirmed)
* We will get to vote for only A FEW of the slots (not all 5!)
* The choices will come from the heads that have been released in the past (i.e. we won't be voting for repaints, but actual heads that have been released from the Mythic Legions line, not Gothitropolis/7th Kingdom)
* The 4H are planning on some more surprises for this set (i.e. slots they have already planned will be revealed soon-ish, and these could be repaints or all new sculpts or added bonuses besides heads - we can only guess)

Source: http://www.sourcehorsemen.com/updates/n ... 5BPvA1P15o
I saw this post on the Cabal, I think he's talking out of his ass about them not being repaints. Nowhere on the actual Source Horseman link does it say that.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:28 am

I'm fine with repaints, I just want the sculpts.

Add tats, change colors, I don't mind.

I have decades of DnD personas to create!

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”