Gooey figures?

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Gooey figures?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:00 pm

This applies more to all kinds of figures then just Marvel.

I was moving stuff around and going through some things. And I pulled out one of my large Trunks figures from probably a couple of decades ago. And he was gooey. Head to toe. Just felt sticky and nasty almost like he was melting. But he looks perfectly fine. And he was right next to another large Trunks figure, which felt normal, like plastic should feel. I washed him with soap and water, and it did basically nothing. Still super nasty. So I took some goo gon, put it on a paper towel, and rubbed him down head to toe. Then rinsed him off after a couple seconds so as not to take off any of the paint. Dried it with a towel, then used the same paper towel and put some rubbing alcohol on it, so as to mix the somewhat dry goo gon with the alcohol, and rubbed him down again. Then took a hairdryer to him to dry it all off. And now he feels fine. Like the day I bought him. Although his plastic still feels softer then the other one. But what's funny is, the insides of his joints, like inside his thigh swivels and inside his elbows, were perfectly fine. Also his jacket, but only the chest piece. The arms and hands were both gooey, and they are made of different plastics. The underneath of the jacket was good as well, where his shirt is. Not gooey whatsoever. Those felt like it feels now after I treated it. Even his hair was nasty. And that's 2 separate pieces, also made of different plastics.

So I'm wondering, WTF happened to my Trunks figure? I've never had this happen before. He was in a spot he would never get sunlight, or wet, or spilled on. Has anyone else had this happen to them? What is it? Is it gonna happen again? Is there a way to prevent it from happening again if it will? Do I have to worry about other figures? This is by far not the oldest figure I have. I have figures dating back to the 80s. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Btw I'm posting this here, because it's sort of relevant. Could this happen to ML figures? Plus this board seems to be the most active. And it's a discussion I would like to have instead of it just getting burried into obscurity.

And sorry if this has been discussed before , but the search feature is less the useless.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

iskopower
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Re: Gooey figures?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:25 pm

My MS Sabretooth and Mar-vell had the same problem with the stickiness. The figure looked fine, just sticky. I think it was because of the type of paint they used on the figure.
scottwerdal
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:30 pm

I’ve heard it’s to do with how the plastics cure over time. Seems to be a bigger problem with sealed figs than loose ones in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StjJames
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:21 pm

I believe this is due to the plastic breaking down due to age. I have had this happen to a bunch of my ML Toybiz figures. The oil in the plastic is beginning to separate causing the figure to be sticky.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:35 pm

It's a little weird that it only has happened to this one figure though. That's what baffles me. I'm guessing theres no way to prevent it?

JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:40 pm

I've had this happen on a few figures. My DST Buffy Deluxe Willow wave figures all have this issue of sticky, oily plastic that if it gets dust on it will NOT wash off and also gets on my hands. I've washed them with soap and hot water and it doesn't help. I can kind of clean off their surfaces, or at least slide the glop off to the side or so, but it's really hard to get off. I admire your perspiration! :)

But, I bought new figures for all of those and they do NOT have the same issue. One has some limbs that are heading that way, and one has limbs that are noticeably different colors now, but I think it's a combo of time, plastic quality, a non-airconditioned apartment in Los Angeles for 13 years and luck (bad).

I had an X-Men Movie Wolverine with the rubber face melt, and Stormtroopers pee their armor in their advanced age. I think it's just the way plastic crumbles. :/
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:29 pm

Oh my movie Sabertooth with the moving jaw has a melted face now. It looks so funny. It looks like a worse version of Eugene from Preacher.

Maybe you can try to goo gon thing I did. Just don't let it sit too long cause that stuff will take off paint. I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. But it probably will.

bgiles73
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:09 pm

My Mattel Ghostbusters figures all developed a chalky white residue over the flesh toned parts of the figures. The color difference between the figures seems to make no difference either. Venkman and Zeddmore both went all ashy. The other guys too. I have had other figures go gooey after a time as well. These are all kept in Air-conditioning, year round inside temperature kept between 65-75°.
DeadMallsTellNoTales
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:19 pm

Yeah, I really hate when this happens. I'm trying to fix my Puppet Master Decapitron boots now with this issue. On the plus side, my 3 /34 Jabba the Hutt got slimey, and I feel that's the ONE INSTANCE where its ok!
scottwerdal
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:44 pm

Just a harsh reminder that nothing lasts forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:47 pm

bgiles73 wrote:
My Mattel Ghostbusters figures all developed a chalky white residue over the flesh toned parts of the figures. The color difference between the figures seems to make no difference either. Venkman and Zeddmore both went all ashy. The other guys too. I have had other figures go gooey after a time as well. These are all kept in Air-conditioning, year round inside temperature kept between 65-75°.
Take those boys out for a sun tan.

No really.

All of Mattel's figures (or 99% of them since 2004ish) could possibly develop this symptom. A little bit of time in direct sunlight cures it. They will be 100% good as new after a brief tan.

HEAT is not the helper, BTW, it's the actual sunlight.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:45 am

I know plastic has a lifespan. Also makes me wonder sometimes why I buy things that could eventually just harden and shatter. But I figured the lifespan was going to be longer then my own. And this gooey shit threw me for a loop. Was not expecting it. I'm a little scared to try and go through some of my other older figures now. I know last I check I have some pee colored storm and clone troopers. I was told magic eraser from Mr. Clean would fix it. It did not. But, theres this stuff I saw advertised on the book of faces that is like a spray. Was thinking of trying that. But that yellowing of the white plastic is supposedly due to sun exposure, uv light, and oils and dirt from skin contact. Not sure if it's true but it makes sense. That's why I put sealer on all my white plastic figures from now on. So when I mess with them maybe it'll keep my hand oils off. I don't know if it helps, but I thought it couldnt hurt. Of course, if sealer aging poorly is what happend to Trunks, I may have to rethink it. Although I never sealed him myself, so it would've been factory sealer, or whatever was wrong.

Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Some of my Iron Man MLs from IM movies 2 and 3 are getting tacky. I think it might be that swirly plastic they use.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:47 pm

I may have to pull mine out and check those. I have them in plastic bags in my bin with my Iron Man figures. I put them away as we got newer armors and space became too limited to display everything. But if they are starting to get that way too I may have to find a way to keep them from getting any worse. Or touching other figures.

bgiles73
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 pm

ODBJBG wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:47 pm
bgiles73 wrote:
Take those boys out for a sun tan.

No really.

All of Mattel's figures (or 99% of them since 2004ish) could possibly develop this symptom. A little bit of time in direct sunlight cures it. They will be 100% good as new after a brief tan.

HEAT is not the helper, BTW, it's the actual sunlight.
I’ll have to do that around October or November. Let that hot Louisiana sunshine cool off a little bit. It’s kinda funny considering both my daughters had to go under a bilirubin UV blanket when they were fresh out of the hospital!

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”

Recent Topics